Rockport Lyra

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Hi John,
would love to trade visits but it’s a little more difficult now. We relocated to Central OR. (Bend, OR). if you’re in the area, absolutely let me know
Wow... a few years ago also Mike Elliott, former designer of Counterpoint and Aria audio amplifiers choose to move from southern California to Bend in Oregon for an higher Life quality; I Wish you a great success for your relocation.
My best
Marco

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Very exciting! Since you’ve hear the Lyra several times at your dealer’s, can you articulate the improvements vs your old speaker that’s compelling you to switch?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very exciting! Since you’ve hear the Lyra several times at your dealer’s, can you articulate the improvements vs your old speaker that’s compelling you to switch?
Hi, Resolution, Clarity and Focus. Up and down the entire frequency spectrum. I am listening to my Altairs now. I'd say they are one of the more resolving and focused speakers anywhere...by the Lyra's simply beat them. My guess it's the new cabinet construction on the Lyra.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hi, Resolution, Clarity and Focus. Up and down the entire frequency spectrum. I am listening to my Altairs now. I'd say they are one of the more resolving and focused speakers anywhere...by the Lyra's simply beat them. My guess it's the new cabinet construction on the Lyra.
Excellent. How would you compare the bass? The two times I heard the Altairs, I thought the bass was fantastic.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Excellent. How would you compare the bass? The two times I heard the Altairs, I thought the bass was fantastic.

That is a good question. The Lyra is for sure better in the same areas above, resolution, clarity, and I suspect linearity and ultimate extension. However the side mounted 15 inch bass driver is a potent thing in its own right. I think here I need to hear them in my room given my dealers room and mine have some differences.

I told my wife last night. I was expecting in descending order of severity:

1)Sleep on the couch
2)Sleep on the couch permanently
3)Sleep on my dealers couch
4)Sleep on my dealers couch permanently

She choose 5. "Ok, that's nice". (I am still processing what that really means). Hopefully no delayed reaction or boomerang effect today ;-)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
J, she's hearing the word Lyra, I'm sure she thinks it's jewellery. Like you know, HUGE diamonds. I mean, the price is a clue Lol.

Reactions: jfrech

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That is a good question. The Lyra is for sure better in the same areas above, resolution, clarity, and I suspect linearity and ultimate extension. However the side mounted 15 inch bass driver is a potent thing in its own right. I think here I need to hear them in my room given my dealers room and mine have some differences.

1)Sleep on the couch

She choose 5. "Ok, that's nice". (I am still processing what that really means). Hopefully no delayed reaction or boomerang effect today ;-)
In some respects, looking at Lyra and also XVX, I think there is interesting about both designs taking a step back from larger cones/surface area in the bass and focusing on resolution, purity of tone, low-low-low noise...and then more resolved bass with probably plenty if not more dynamic range/snap and a more articulated depth (even if at [potentially] the sacrifice of [some] overall bass power/oomf).

And these are both designers who have long been well regarded for their bass clarity, depth and power.

And then if/when you go to the added subs which are designed expressly for this area...you get truly mindblowingly stunning all-out super-scale results...spectacular power, scale and clarity with tonal purity all in one.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, are Rockport gonna be making these dedicated subs?

Reactions: PeterA

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I've traded my Rockport Altairs into my dealer and ordered Lyra's. They should ship in about 12 weeks (end of March/early April). I'll post my impressions on the differences on these two great speakers soon. My dealer has the Lyra's on display so I've heard them plenty of times. Very excited on this move to say the least !

If anyone is interested in used Altairs, my dealer has a pristine pair in Porsche Topaz Brown Metallic.
Wow Congrats. The Lyra’s look amazing. Definitely one of my top contenders.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So, are Rockport gonna be making these dedicated subs?
I got the distinct impression they are open to doing so on a custom basis, but I did not get the sense they anticipate releasing something at this time formally. Personally, I think it would be great if they did.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

1)Sleep on the couch

In all my equipment and music purchases I only got in trouble one time: when I bought a new couch for the listening room without consulting her. Lesson learned, I brought her to the rug store when I needed to add one.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
J, she's hearing the word Lyra, I'm sure she thinks it's jewellery. Like you know, HUGE diamonds. I mean, the price is a clue Lol.
Funny Spirit. I hope you are wrong :) !

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi John,
would love to trade visits but it’s a little more difficult now. We relocated to Central OR. (Bend, OR). if you’re in the area, absolutely let me know.

We’re in the midst of designing/building a home and super excited about building a new Audio Room. Taking what I learned last time and making improvements.

hi Gayle,

wow, welcome to the (general) neighborhood. and congrats on the new place and new Audio Room. enjoy the process. been to Bend a number of times, wonderful spot.

cheers,

Mike

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I've traded my Rockport Altairs into my dealer and ordered Lyra's. They should ship in about 12 weeks (end of March/early April). I'll post my impressions on the differences on these two great speakers soon. My dealer has the Lyra's on display so I've heard them plenty of times. Very excited on this move to say the least !

If anyone is interested in used Altairs, my dealer has a pristine pair in Porsche Topaz Brown Metallic.
congrats John, on your new Lyra's. everything i've read about them is superlative.

look forward to hearing about how they perform for you.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Agreed, its hard to imagine better bass. I've read the smaller woofers can fill the room considering the new cabinet design but after hearing the Altairs, I need to hear it to believe it. I wonder what Andy considers the perfect room size for the Lyra. I'm excited for you!

Dave

rnr

Sep 9, 2014
John congrats on your Lyras!! Had the fortune of hearing them in Rockport with Andy Payor. He is a prince of guy. They sounded great. Five years ago you were so kind to let me come over and hear your altairs when I was in Austin for a visit. I can't wait for your review of your lyras in your room. Please don't hold anything back! Stay safe.

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Congrats on your upcoming Lyra !!

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I know the Rockport Altair and also Rockport Altair II i believe the original first edition of Altair was a better speaker why?
The first Altair s where using Audio Technology drivers the later ones where using Rockport Audio own drivers which are very good drivers but to my ears the Audio Technology drivers where a bit more natural than the later ones.
Also one of the down sides of the new generation Rockport speakers but also many many other popular speakers is the choice of tweeter Berylium Tweeter i am not a fan of Berylium tweeters in general Berylium tweeters sound thin absent in color and flower to my humble opinion.

I owned both version of Altairs and prefer first version it is a very very good speaker dead quiet and a Bass that will bring many many speakers in shy. Speaking about Lyra which is one of the best speakers when speaking about midrange and even despite Berylium tweeter very charming highs but no way that the Bass performance of the Lyra and catch the level of Bass performance of Altair! In other parameters is the Lyra a better speaker but not in Bass performance......

Reactions: marmota

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know the Rockport Altair and also Rockport Altair II i believe the original first edition of Altair was a better speaker why?
The first Altair s where using Audio Technology drivers the later ones where using Rockport Audio own drivers which are very good drivers but to my ears the Audio Technology drivers where a bit more natural than the later ones.
Also one of the down sides of the new generation Rockport speakers but also many many other popular speakers is the choice of tweeter Berylium Tweeter i am not a fan of Berylium tweeters in general Berylium tweeters sound thin absent in color and flower to my humble opinion.

I owned both version of Altairs and prefer first version it is a very very good speaker dead quiet and a Bass that will bring many many speakers in shy. Speaking about Lyra which is one of the best speakers when speaking about midrange and even despite Berylium tweeter very charming highs but no way that the Bass performance of the Lyra and catch the level of Bass performance of Altair! In other parameters is the Lyra a better speaker but not in Bass performance......
Very interesting...do you believe in the principle of having custom subs designed to go with them to make them all-out flagship speakers?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing