Rockport: New Center Channel Speaker

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have been an enormous admirer of Rockport and Andy Payor for many, many years. I still consider the mighty Arrakis as my personal favorite speaker of all time. Were it not for the challenge of dual-amplification, dual speaker cables, dual interconnects for the active crossover, sheer size (manageable but it is 1000lbs per channel) and of course cost...we would own these and not look back. They are remarkable.

This news caught me by surprise: the newest addition to their collection is a $20,000 center channel speaker.

If they are going this direction...I would love to see them create a 4-channel Lyra...dual subs expressly designed to match the mighty Lyra...and full-on, no-holds-barred exceed the Arrakis in every way imaginable. It covers the ultra-uber high end 2-channel market...and perfectly positions Rockport for AWESOME high end theater experience as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmarin and sujay

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Hi Lloyd,
I have the older Rockport center channel that matches my Aviors, this new one looks really nice. I wonder how it will compare to just putting a single Avior II as a center( same price I believe). IMO, Rockports handle HT very well!

Dave

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very nice! And great system! You have Jfrech both drive your Rockports with Nagra HD...interesting to see. In your system, do you have subs for cinema? Curious.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Thanks! Congrats on new amps, I've always wanted to hear them. I had little exposure to the Koda preamps before Nagra. I use 2 JL Audio Gotham subs for HT, not for stereo. Jfrech's system is the best I've heard and that was before his new speakers, I try to keep up when I can.

Dave

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Dave and thanks :). I still have a projector and screen in my room, but just haven't used it since the kids got older. I be your system sounds fantastic on movies !

Lloyd, I didn't realize you now have the Koda amps. Congratulations. I know you're into the subs, I am so happy with the Lyra's that I am in that stage I can't imagine more. I've heard systems with subs, but not a system with matching subs to the quality if the 2 channel speakers. In this respect, if Lyra made a matching set of subs, I'd be curious, although not sure I'd ever pull the trigger due to the cost....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, JFrech...the Koda monos are due to arrive in a couple of weeks.

Its interesting...I remember distinctly buying my very piece of tube kit...CJ PV14L pre/MV60 EL34-based amp...it was magic. And the man at the store (only recently retired) was so pleased to have introduced me to a whole new world (I originally came in to audition a SS CJ amp)...

...but he also said over time he would not be surprised if I found my way back to SS. At the time, I could not conceive of such a thing having discovered that 'tube magic'. And here we are 20+ years later...SS preamp (for the first time in 20 years)...and SS amplification (Class A SS...something I discovered and have gladly stayed with for 12 years and running.)

It took Robert Koda to do that.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing