Rookie / Technics Turntable SL-BD20, Technics Receiver SA-EX310 help

Karib

Dec 5, 2018
Helping a friend revive her father's Technics Turntable SL-BD20. We hooked it up to Technics Receiver SA-EX310 and Bose Model 141 Speakers. Plays for a few seconds and then receiver has "Overload" error message. What did we do wrong? I double checked that the speaker polarity was correct. Do we need different receiver and/or speakers? Your help is appreciated.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This brings back memories, lol,. Used to own that same table, back in the day.
I would suggest you check and see where you are plugging the phono cable in...sounds like into a line input, or maybe the Moving coil input, if it even has one! The table came with a stock mm cartridge, which was a high output cartridge, if I remember correctly? Anyhow, I would suggest plugging the table into only the Moving magnet (mm) input if your receiver has such a thing. Otherwise, I think you are simply plugging the table into the wrong input. If the receiver has no phono input, then you would need a separate phono stage...or another receiver with a built in phono stage.

Reactions: Karib

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I took a look at your receiver's manual. ( which is online if you don't have access to it). It would seem that this particular receiver does have a phono input. Looking at the specs, it seems that the input has a 0.4mv input sensitivity. That could mean that you are overloading the input with too high an output cartridge. However, I also think that this input is meant for moving magnet only-- i very seriously doubt it was designed for Moving Coils.. There is a 'help' button on the front panel, have you pushed that when the error message pops up?
OTOH, it is possible that your receiver has an internal problem that would need a tech to look at.
BTW, do you know what kind of cartridge is mounted on your BD20? May not be stock!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing