Room Measurement and Software: 2020 Update

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
It looks as if this topic hasn't been touched on since 2010-2015.
Is Room Eq Wizard still the software of choice? Can anyone recommend a measurement mic that's good from 15Hz to >20k?

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
REW is hardly the only option on the market, but it continually updated and added to with a wide range of features and included simulation tools, for no cost. So long as you can configure the input/outputs of your computer for your needs, it's a very flexible tool that does most all of what other systems offer short of higher end pro-audio focused packages that require quite a bit of training to get more from that what you will do with REW. If most of what you are doing is looking at below 500Hz room interaction vs placement, channel matching, and blending of subwoofers, REW has everything you would use/need. It is also useful in looking at 3D decay plots of a room (Freq vs. Level vs. Time) to aid in selecting and placing acoustic treatments. If you can make time to get a system working and keep the computer and mic/output hardware constant, REW works quite well as a portable system.

REW and most measurement systems are a bit of a deep dive and will take some hunting/study to get good use beyond the basic frequency response measurement, where you can also look at the more packaged system from Parts Express in the Dayton Omnimic V2 and CLIO pocket version 2.

Some are very particular about the accuracy of their measurement microphone, while for many in-room uses the exact accuracy isn't hyper critical. If using REW I would always carry a UMIK-1 around and have one on a cool shelf as a backup. Grab 2 5m USB extensions in case you every need it. The correction and calibration they come with is reasonably accurate (batch corrected). The easy of level calibration is worth keeping one around. If Cross Spectrum ever gets them back in stock, the specific calibration file included might be worth the $110. While I rarely use the stock UMIK-1 for speaker design, it's what I start with in most rooms and the differences not very significant when you consider the differences are less than the incremental level or tilt adjustments you might make in final subjective adjustments.

Earthworks has some very nice, and is the go-to for justifiably priced, measurement grade microphones. These are more temperature stable, and the 1/4" capsule (tip) is more omnidirectional. Few need more than an M30 (3-30kHz, 140dB operating range), but even the 3-50kHz M50 is $1299. The M30BX is nice for a portable system as you don't need to worry about getting enough phantom power from USB power. This brings up the main setup hurdle with premium microphones. If the system needs to be portable, you need to select a separate microphone preamp, and deliver appropriate phantom power for the microphone you are using. Once you have it functioning, you then need a microphone calibrator to calibrate it before measuring. You also have to be more aware of various windows settings to make sure you have the signals coming through at a suitable level to not clip or have too much noise. 1/4" & 1/2" microphone calibrators can be as much or more than a microphone.

Emperyan

Oct 11, 2020
Some years ago, I went from using REW to a German software called Acourate:
https://www.audiovero.de/en/
I have talked to the developer on several hifi shows and he clearly knows what he is doing. I am super impressed by the effect the acourate treatment had on my listening experience. Actually, I would consider it to be the single best tweak I have ever done to my system. Every aspect was vastly improved. The only drawback is that the sweetspot narrowed down significantly. The filtered signal really only works for one listening position. But if you sit in the sweetspot, it´s amazing.

The Acourate software is really powerfull and I have to admit it´s beyond my capabilites in most points. It´s not the most user friendly around. But there is an easy wizard for the purpose of creating filters.

Any affordable measuring microphone is hardly flat at all. I was using a Behringer one and didn´t realize that it was measuring quite unevenly. I sent it to Audiovero and they created a calibration file for it based on their professional equipment. This way I can measure flat with a "normal" microphone.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing