Roon Frustration -Again

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Roon is killing me. Now I cannot select my EX renderer in audio settings. It shows it in settings, I can enable or disable it, change settings, but not select it for playback.
Very nice of Roon to allow me select iPad or Apple TV though:mad:
Did anything change? You do any updates?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
If I remember correctly one time I rebuilt my Nucleus+ and I had to re enable my license. When I selected my newly built Nucleus+ I received a message about enabling the unit. It basically moved my licence to the new database.

I assume you already did this.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Any update on your Roon issues? Hopefully you were able to find the fix.

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
I only use Roon in server mode and it's been bullet proof for years. But that's different than usb mode that you guys are having problems with.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Any update on your Roon issues? Hopefully you were able to find the fix.
Yes, I’ve fixed my Roon issues by uninstalling it from both my EX and CX:). Trying to get used to Squeezebox now…

Reactions: ihmeyers

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
I am getting fed up with Roon as well. I have a very strange issue with my Antipodes CX server since Roon 1.8 update.
The server just goes into restarting cycle: the light turns to amber, then to blinking green then again to amber and again to green. It goes into this circle and just keeps restarting itself. The only thing that helps is disconnecting it from power for some time using the back switch. I later determined that it is connected to Tidal login. I use both Tidal and Qobuz. This strange behaviour happens as soon as I log in into Tidal account. So when it happened several months ago, I just stopped using Tidal and everything was fine. 2 weeks ago I tried logging in into Tidal and the same thing happened. Now I am no longer able to use Tidal!
I tried Telegartner switch couple of days ago and about 10 minutes after I connected it to CX and my router, the same shit happened again. But this time I did not use Tidal, just Qobuz!
Another annoying feature of Roon - “metadata improver paused” message. I have it almost every day, restarting Roon core helps for some time, but then it always comes back. Many people have this issue since upgrade to 1.8 and all Roon support can advise: please upgrade to the latest version and restart the Roon core.
I wanted to upgrade to Pacific, but now I am thinking that moving away from Roon to something like Taiko server would be a much better move.
I am also having a problem with Roon when playing Qobuz. It drops out sometimes during play, and resumes

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
OK I guess I'm also one of those three guys that LD was mentioning, as same BS was happening to me but in my case, as I have two Lampi DACs on hand (Pacific with Amanero and B3 with JL) this music interruption was happening on both of them. He proposed solution with increasing the allocated buffer size in Roon yesterday and since than music was playing without any issues. Will check today or tmr again.
On another note I had zero issues with USB cables (FTA Callisto and some FTA undisclosed model (yet)) on both USB cards in those two Lampi DACs...

Will report back how it goes...

Forgot to mention - my issue was only related to the music which was streamed from Tidal and all was normal for the music pulled out from the local library
Hmm...I'm glad to hear the problem may not be specific to JL/USB in your setup, especially since I'm just now beginning discussions with LD on a build. It's beginning to appear as though the common culprit may be the Roon-Tidal relationship, especially with the buffering factor(?).

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
I am also having a problem with Roon when playing Qobuz. It drops out sometimes during play, and resumes
I know a number of Qobuz users who experience drop-outs, and this problem is widely spoken of on forums and elsewhere. The majority do not use roon. Cables vary greatly in what I'm reading, so I don't think it has to do with cables. Qobuz has a number of bugs, the software/program/apps can be problematic.

Reactions: Gankhuyag and FDPDK

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
2) The JL Audio USB card doesn't work as well as some others. Lampi has recently switched from Amanero to JL because they believe it provides an increase in sound quality. In my opinion it does nothing of the sort and some other Lampi owners have told me the same thing. In addition, the Amanero driver is much more forgiving and less buggy than the JL.
I agree and disagree. In my Lampi Pacific, Amanero was the USB board used however Amanero had limitations in the Taiko TAS and could not derive full benefits of TAS. It was an easy switch and you're absolutely correct when you say the two sound the same. I agree on this point but as far as bugginess I have had zero problems with the JL Sounds USB board. In fact all Lampi DACS come with the JL Sounds USB board. It is far more current and consistent with standards and having it allowed my system rise to another level when using TAS. I haven't used Roon in 2 years since Emile at Taiko released TAS and soon to be replaced by XDMS

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
A few things to note.
Any non stock usb cable is most likely non usb 1/2 spec
While we all use them for their virtues they can cause issues

When ever we install new software for anything connected to usb , its important to use a stock printer cable !
Next never do as above with anyone's usb cards install in a given sever .
Unless the maker says it's ok or needs it to be used when installing usb or other software use the main board usb ports

Lastly roon is far and away the best user interface made I feel anyway .
But the plebs don't care about sound , can we play iso files yet ? I'll bet no many times I've posted of issues the replies while sometimes helpful come from techs who are not kind of you ask any questions related to sound .
When they added filters it killed the sound when I asked I'm an moron lol. Cristogh helped me remove them on the gui desktop we both heard an improvement. But the room gods don't . Most likely playing on 100 dollar desktop speakers out of a pci dac Board .
I'ma big fan of roon but not it's
Sound always seems better if used with a dac player software like HQ player
And he is also a non audiophile person too.
Makes me wonder how can you make great sound and not hear it. Well he does hear it but does not care for it . Roon plebs don't hear it lol
I can get real full unfold MQA
But only after hiam maker of
LDMS helped me configure it

In the end Lucas whom I call hiam oye is the.one guy who knows and hears how it can be
And .makes us feel better at getting it for us.
Cheers for hiam lol.
Also a big ty for Christoph to a very early on audio bud helped me plenty too.

Reactions: christoph

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Roon Again.

I've been told the sound quality of the latest Roon update is terrible. Lucas found a work-around but fortunately I hadn't updated his server to the newest release. Unfortunately, I had updated my 2nd server, a Roon Nucleus+. Build 188 is the last good update. I've got to find new software because it's every few months that there is an issue with a Roon update, either SQ-wise or operationally. :(

Last edited:

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Roon Again.

I've heard sound quality of latest Roon update is terrible. Lucas found a work-around but fortunately I hadn't updated his server. Unfortunately, I had updated my 2nd server a Roon Nucleus+. Build 188 is the last good update. I've got to find new software because it's every few months that there is an issue with a Roon update, either SQ-wise or operationally. :(
Are you saying Roon SQ is bad based on what someone said? Why not listen to the latest update before saying it is worse than Build 188.

Reactions: Armsan and ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Are you saying Roon SQ is bad based on what someone said? Why not listen to the latest update before saying it is worse than Build 188.

Not really. Lucas Domensky who built my server texted me today to install a work-around for the Roon update that dropped this week. I had not installed it yet in his server. He said if I had I would have heard that vocals in particular don't sound as good. Some of his other clients have complained to him and creative guy that he is, he installed code that works around it. I DID download it on my other server and as I had made so many changes to it this week wasn't able to pinpoint which change was responsible for a specific change in sound.

I like Roon when it works correctly as a sound file management system. Their techs are flat-earthers though. They just don't get that ANY changes they make, even to the GUI can potentially affect the SQ. Guys like us with high-end systems have complained previously about releases where, for example, all they did was change how albums are displayed in your library, and how that change messed with the SQ. In their mind 99% of their customers are listening through their Marantz integrated amp (not making fun of Marantz, I have one in my video setup). They just don't grasp that some of us have $10k+ servers or $500,000 front-ends (not me but I wish). To me it's like the people on Audiogon that want to argue that the $75 Belden IC they bought is as good as anything you'd get from Echole, Ansuz, Siltech, etc. I'm not sure if it's the equipment they use to test new releases (some have told me they test them hardly at all) or if they have tin ears (my wife, God bless her, tells me she can legit not really hear the difference between my Lampi-based two channel setup and the Sony surround system she heard in her friend's home theater install).

p.s. if I install the latest update to listen to it I am stuck with it. You cannot revert in Roon if you find they have messed with the sound. IMHO, that's a big problem.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Not really. Lucas Domensky who built my server texted me today to install a work-around for the Roon update that dropped this week. I had not installed it yet in his server. He said if I had I would have heard that vocals in particular don't sound as good. Some of his other clients have complained to him and creative guy that he is, he installed code that works around it. I DID download it on my other server and as I had made so many changes to it this week wasn't able to pinpoint which change was responsible for a specific change in sound.

I like Roon when it works correctly as a sound file management system. Their techs are flat-earthers though. They just don't get that ANY changes they make, even to the GUI can potentially affect the SQ. Guys like us with high-end systems have complained previously about releases where, for example, all they did was change how albums are displayed in your library, and how that change messed with the SQ. In their mind 99% of their customers are listening through their Marantz integrated amp (not making fun of Marantz, I have one in my video setup). They just don't grasp that some of us have $10k+ servers or $500,000 front-ends (not me but I wish). To me it's like the people on Audiogon that want to argue that the $75 Belden IC they bought is as good as anything you'd get from Echole, Ansuz, Siltech, etc. I'm not sure if it's the equipment they use to test new releases (some have told me they test them hardly at all) or if they have tin ears (my wife, God bless her, tells me she can legit not really hear the difference between my Lampi-based two channel setup and the Sony surround system she heard in her friend's home theater install).

p.s. if I install the latest update to listen to it I am stuck with it. You cannot revert in Roon if you find they have messed with the sound. IMHO, that's a big problem.
agreed it didnt sound at all nice bu after a good reboot of the nucleus it sounded pretty much back to where it was again:)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
If you don't hear the decrease in SQ of the build 9xx updates compared to build 898 you should maybe look for a different hobby :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: ihmeyers

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
agreed it didnt sound at all nice bu after a good reboot of the nucleus it sounded pretty much back to where it was again:)
Unfortunately this is not my experience :mad:
And yes, I rebooted several times :rolleyes:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
And to make things even worse, roon "robs" me of my SQ safety net HQP and tells me I have to update HQPlayer to use HQP under roon :mad::mad:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
If you don't hear the decrease in SQ of the build 9xx updates compared to build 898 you should maybe look for different hobby :rolleyes:
LMAO....

Not here. If anything Roon 913 adds a bit more weight and a sweeter top end.......

Reactions: Daverich4

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing