Roon Labs Future?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
There is not evidence to support the notion that a server on the network can affect the sound of an endpoint. The only real way the server affects the sound at the endpoint is if the server implements digital signal processing to resample things or add filters. This is why team Sonore had a dedicated team designing and testing the endpoints so they are a clean source for USB devices. In our system use whatever home computer, NAS, music server, or internet source you want and stream to a Rendu over the network. We do recommend that you use a clean power supply on the Rendu because that can the sound at the output of the DAC.

There is no evidence for your statement:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-150#post-631854

Matt

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I still love my Roon Nucleus Plus and the Roon software. I’ve had the Nucleus Plus for two years with ZERO glitches and it sounds amazing. I also love the functionality and intuitiveness of the Roon software. I can pull down song lyrics, album descriptions and credits, and even control the analog volume on my Select 2 DAC from my IPad through the Roon endpoint Renderer V2 digital input module. I see no need to spend big bucks on an audiophile server. I may purchase SSD for my NAS to reduce the physical noise and increase the speed. Otherwise, I’m totally content.

Ken

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Someone can state there is no evidence to support a notion, but it doesn't mean very much in the absence of any evidence which disputes that notion.

I suppose it comes down to how you define evidence and whether you think that evidence is persuasive. Measurements? Subjective/anecdotal listening experiences? Or, my choice, competently conducted un-sighted listening tests.

Listening to music is a subjective experience. It seems to me the only meaningful way make an appraisal of whether some audio component is making a difference is through objectively applied subjective listening tests.

Last edited:

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
I think this gets down to how we define and use the word evidence. I was thinking of a less subjective definition than we have in Romaz and Ray's excellent write ups. If Ray had done a double blind comparison with his custom server and the Extreme for example, or if some measurements were done that compared servers. But doing either is difficult--how do you measure a server or organize that kind of double blind test?
I made my decision to purchase an Extreme after having conversations with three Extreme owners who I believe know audio and what they're hearing. But I don't feel as though I have any "evidence" to support my decision.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
There is not evidence to support the notion that a server on the network can affect the sound of an endpoint. The only real way the server affects the sound at the endpoint is if the server implements digital signal processing to resample things or add filters. This is why team Sonore had a dedicated team designing and testing the endpoints so they are a clean source for USB devices. In our system use whatever home computer, NAS, music server, or internet source you want and stream to a Rendu over the network. We do recommend that you use a clean power supply on the Rendu because that can the sound at the output of the DAC.

Nobody $#(*s with the Jesus!
1590721884397.jpeg

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
There is not evidence to support the notion that a server on the network can affect the sound of an endpoint. The only real way the server affects the sound at the endpoint is if the server implements digital signal processing to resample things or add filters. ....

Precisely! And even more so when the server is galvanically isolated over fibre. Unfortunately, many audiophiles and manufacturers are divorced from reality, and play on the power of the mind to alter perception, especially of those who don't know any better :cool:

Reactions: Carlos269

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I hate overthinking problems. You like it, buy it. Otherwise don't. Evidence is only valid if it can be measured accurately and repeatedly. I wouldn't put my own hearing abilities into that category.

Last edited:

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Precisely! And even more so when the server is galvanically isolated over fibre. Unfortunately, many audiophiles and manufacturers are divorced from reality, and play on the power of the mind to alter perception, especially of those who don't know any better :cool:
And in the case of an Extreme which functions as a server and a streamer feeding a DAC are you saying a device that does both can't affect the sound quality?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
If "new" Roon is substandard for Extreme, surely that extends to most all other streamers too?
I ask because in the sub $5k market, only Innuos and SGC/Sonore are Roon Core, leaving choice if you want an all in one Roon solution to these limited choices.
However if this poorer sounding Roon is gonna be audible on Zenith or i5/Rendu setups, then maybe it's time to look at the wider choice of streamers that aren't Roon.
Only a select few can go w Extreme and any Emile custom fix option for Roon.
Not true. The 432 EVO AEON is 5K euros, the high end model 4K euros. Both run Roon Core (pre-installed) and both have external linear power supplies. They also run Logitech Media Server which IMO sounds better than Roon, damb good actually.

I use the 432 EVO AEON in our Aries Cerat system, and it sounds fantastic. And the 432 EVO Master 2 chassis model at 12K euros.

432_evo_master_slide-show.jpg black_essence_on_white.jpg There is also an Essence model that is a DAC and CD player combined that runs Roon Core at 3.5K euros.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing