Roon Software SQ

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I just read a primer on Roon which states:
Roon's goals are supreme usability and super high-quality sound. The interface is designed to be richer than anything else out there and it claims "bit-perfect playback of lossy and lossless file formats, including high resolution audio content (PCM and DSD)".

I'm looking for opinions on SQ improvements using Roon over straight Qobuz streaming and/or ripped RBCDs and digital downloads from a PC using JRiver.

On a scale of 1 - 10 (1 being no improvement), how much improvement do you perceive using Roon?

The primer I just read: https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/roon-everything-you-need-to-know

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
See my thread here where I'm comparing the sound of Roon with the sound of music through the Lumin App. Any sound quality improvement you hear via Roon versus other software will depend on the other software you are comparing it with and the streamer/DAC you are using. My comparisons are in the context of the Lumin X1 with the Lumin App which accepts native DSD 512, has Leedh volume processing, and very fine built-in MQA processing.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
On a scale of 1 - 10 (1 being no improvement), how much improvement do you perceive using Roon?

To my ears, and I have only been a Roon user since October 2019 when I got the Extreme, the SQ in Roon has gotten dull and lack luster over the past several updates but that is me and my system

Reactions: CKKeung

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
To my ears, and I have only been a Roon user since October 2019 when I got the Extreme, the SQ in Roon has gotten dull and lack luster over the past several updates but that is me and my system

How many updates have there been since 10/99?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
My view too. :rolleyes:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
8 updates since 10/19. The Roon guys are adamant there are no changes in sonics.......

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Roon is convenient. Love the interface. For casual listening it's just great. If I'm paying attention I don't use it and prefer other apps (like dCS Mosaic). Same issue as above...just is dull in comparison.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
IME if you go from Roon to HQ Player to DAC the sonics are outstanding. And Ron’s integration with HQ Player is seamless.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
See my thread here where I'm comparing the sound of Roon with the sound of music through the Lumin App. Any sound quality improvement you hear via Roon versus other software will depend on the other software you are comparing it with and the streamer/DAC you are using. My comparisons are in the context of the Lumin X1 with the Lumin App which accepts native DSD 512, has Leedh volume processing, and very fine built-in MQA processing.
Could I ask, if you use Roon simply as a control, cataloguing and music suggestions device, can you retain the X1 quality that you describe? Thanks Peter

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Steve, I'm not hearing any degradation with the Roon updates. Maybe when I get my Extreme that will change but Roon sounds fine to me now.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Relax. I thought u might be able to pinpoint where things went downhill for u, nothing more.
as I said it has been the last 2 updates. I find I just am not engaged to the same degree with the music as I have been with Roon before. Perhaps it is just me

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Is this degradation the same for all music played through Roon, or is there any differences you hear of local vs streamed content?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
as I said it has been the last 2 updates. I find I just am not engaged to the same degree with the music as I have been with Roon before. Perhaps it is just me

Maybe something going on with a tube in your dac?

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I believe Emile found, in his setup anyway, that there was no sq change with the last two Roon updates?

I've made some changes in the interim (Sablon usb and power cable) so it's impossible for me to compare.

I suppose there's no way to revert back to earlier versions of Roon?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It’s not the DAC or a tube because when I play my stored files inside the Extreme everything sounds fine
Roon for me has become dull as it seems to have lost the sparkle I used to have

Perhaps you mean Tidal then, as when you're playing your stored files, you're likely using Roon as well, no?
TBH, my perception is that Tidal simply doesn't cut it in terms of absolute sound SQ.

Reactions: Kingsrule

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I have had mixed results with Roon. I compared it directly using the same networked hardware to Linn Kinsky. I used a Raspberry PI SBC with a good S/PDIF HAT board playing back local files on my disk. Kinsky beat it. I would rate Kinsky as a 9 and Roon as a 7 or 8. Jriver is a 6 or 7. I found Jriver twitchy to use for network playback as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing