Rowland M925 - The amplifier saga continues

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Any new thoughts on these amps during the break-in process? I have been listening to a pair from first power-up and every couple of days since. They have been in constant use for about 11days now, and I am impressed with 1) how terrific they sound dead cold, and 2) how they have opened up since. I will hear them again tomorrow. Amp, I think you have the head-start, so I am curious about your observations. We have set the turn-on light to its lowest level, but I wish Jeff had made a lower " dim" setting.

I too wish that Jeff had made a much lower setting for the front panel LED, or at least made it configurable from the rear panel.

I ran mine constantly for almost a solid month, but ultimately decided that I preferred a slightly different presentation. They were exceptional amplifiers and one of the best I've ever heard, but in the context of my current system I preferred the Boulders. If I had the space and the means to do so I would have likely built a separate system around the 925s.

To anyone considering the latest generation of Rowland amps (825 & 925) you really should make an effort to listen to them. Much in the same way that people are viewing the D'Agostino Momentums as "game changers" I think that the new Rowland product is going to really change how people look at high end solid state. They are truly outstanding and in many ways without fault.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I too wish that Jeff had made a much lower setting for the front panel LED, or at least made it configurable from the rear panel.

I ran mine constantly for almost a solid month, but ultimately decided that I preferred a slightly different presentation. They were exceptional amplifiers and one of the best I've ever heard, but in the context of my current system I preferred the Boulders. If I had the space and the means to do so I would have likely built a separate system around the 925s.

To anyone considering the latest generation of Rowland amps (825 & 925) you really should make an effort to listen to them. Much in the same way that people are viewing the D'Agostino Momentums as "game changers" I think that the new Rowland product is going to really change how people look at high end solid state. They are truly outstanding and in many ways without fault.

They are so good that you got rid of them?

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
They are so good that you got rid of them?

Because as with anything in this hobby, especially at this level, it comes down to personal taste within the context of a complete system. Much in the same way that I can say that the Wilson X-2 is an excellent speaker and worthy of audition by anyone shopping at that level, but it's not to my personal taste. I can fully appreciate all of the things that the 925s did well and will be the first to say that there were very few negative qualities (if any), but when it came down to it there were a few things that the Boulders did differently and to me, and my own taste, those differences were important.

Keep in mind that there were no dealer demos available when I placed my order so I was taking a pretty significant gamble. I had an exit strategy planned, just in case I didn't like them. As it turned out I didn't even need that. My 925s have a new home and I hear that their new owner is ecstatic with their performance. I walked away without a bruise and will move on to something different.

So I stand by my statement.... The 925s are absolutely worthy of audition by anyone shopping at this level.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The good news is that you got out of them without getting hurt which means you bought them awful right.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I would love to be in that position (deciding between a JRDG and a Boulder amp) :)

From the distance, both look very promising, the best of the best out there, I would think it will depend on the rest of the system, room size and preferences, maybe the 925 is a tad more nuanced (inner detail) but the Boulder more explosive (dynamic) and fast-sounding. Congratulations any route you take...

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I would love to be in that position (deciding between a JRDG and a Boulder amp) :)

From the distance, both look very promising, the best of the best out there, I would think it will depend on the rest of the system, room size and preferences, maybe the 925 is a tad more nuanced (inner detail) but the Boulder more explosive (dynamic) and fast-sounding. Congratulations any route you take...

The Boulder was definitely more explosive (great descriptor) but managed to be incredibly delicate at the same time. I do think, however, that the Rowland may have been a bit more nuanced especially in the area of complex harmonics. Unfortunately I never got a chance to compare the two side by side but the Boulder simply floored me.

While I was extremely fortunate to walk away unscathed I likely won't see my new front end, and thus will be without stereo, until sometime in June... So I must live vicariously through the rest of you. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats AMP...you've walked out a big winner. In truth, i think you would have in either scenario. But having gotten a 'free audition' of the new 925 and been able to make a choice in good conscience is a great thing. No looking back now...and only looking forward (to June unfortunately!) ;)

I have heard the 2060 myself, and was floored..other than my own Gryphon Colosseum (purely a personal choice...i could have lived with either extremely happily..and also one of circumstance at that time when it passed my way in the store)...i would have snapped up that second hand 2060 when it came in to the shop 3 years ago. Just absolutely incredible...nothing bothered it, taxed, made it waver from its path. Just delivery of endless reserves of power, extremely pure sound, effortless delivery makes in this case for effortless detail and decay which is a wonderful thing when performed so easily. With your Rockport (Aquilas?) and TA Ref cabling, i can only imagine how great that is going to sound.

Enjoy and please post when its all up and running. Congrats again.

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Did you keep the Aeris DAC? I am living with the Aeris, Corus and 625 tirade as they break in together ( 2 months now) and it does change daily. The setup sounds better after one hour of play, before any serious listening sessions, at which point it magically pulls together in a uniquely synergistic fashion. I am not sure how to describe the Rowland DAC relative to the Berkeley Audio Alpha 2 it replaced other than saying it's a fuller piece of fabric whereas the BAD was a gossamer scrim with its own charm . Somehow the Aeris is more like real music, liquid, round, sounds defined by shapes filled with air. The bass is the best I have heard in digital w/ -0- bloat or overhang. Very lovely DAC but it will need many more months to come into its own. FYI: DAC direct to 625 sounds less "right" than run through the Corus and the phase control on the Corus is a must have item anyway.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
All, is there life after M925? Yes, my beloved Rowland M925 monoblocks have been making fantastic music without a glitch since May 2013. For the last few years, I have been feeding Them directly from a Rowland Aeris DAC, this augmented by the Rowland PSU ultra-capacitor-based external power supply. Yet, I have been wondering for some time if my audio nirvana could ever be uber-nirvanized, as the technology of audio reproduction has continued to evolve.

In particular, since Rowland released its statement integrated amplifier in the form of Daemon, I have been wanting to discover if an all-in-one solution sporting DAC, linestage, and 1500W of amplification could equal, or at least get close to my trio of separates.

Eventually, a Daemon review unit was delivered last February 28th. I Started break-in the following day, and have been scribbling my listening notes since… The writing project is ongoing, and will continue for at least several months, until the device has stabilized, and I have exercised several of its many input and output features.

The single-box has been musical Since its first power-up, great since it crossed the 150 hours break-in mark, and just about astonishing at 500 hours… And this is just half-way into the break-in process.

Join my adventure around Daemon’s freshly-minted watering-hole on WhatsBestForum:

https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/...-a-statement-superintegrated-amplifier.30327/

And, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Regards, Guido

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing