Rowland vs. Pass

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'd like to hear forum opinions/direct comparisons between these two, fairly iconic SS amplifier names. In particular Pass XA.8 series vs 625/725 for JRDG (not the digital-based amplifiers).

Thanks!

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Not that this help you but I have owned both JRDG and Pass. Enjoyed both. I still own my pair of Model 6 which I don't think I will ever sell. After that Jeff veered off course and to me started sounding "electronic" if that makes sense. Although I think he has gone back to the class A/B amp with the newer 625/725 stuff. (Would need to check my facts on that.) I regret selling my Pass X600's. Fantastic amps.

I seem to recall you went with YG Hailey's. If that is the case some muscle is in order IMHO. Have you considered Gryphon or Constellation or AudioNet? I have heard all three of these with YG and they all sounded good. I am sure Rowland or Pass would also sound good. Just a matter of matching the rest of your system and personal taste.

I don't recall seeing either Pass or JRDG amps on YG at any of the shows (RMAF or AXPONA) in the last couple of years.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thanks. Have never seen a Pass/YG combo produced at shows (as GTT Audio does most on Audionet), Rowland has shown at RMAF before with YG in 2018 but on his digital monos.

Gryphon and Constellation are really above my budget.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I do see 2 major differences between the moste JRDG and Pass Designs.

- powerconsumption (important for some users with a "green" soul)

JRDG try since years to get the power consumption down. So my 825 can run many hours, around 10w stand by.

Pass has mostly a wide class A range with super high power demand

- damping factor

JRDG Designs do have mostly a high ramping factor, Pass Designs a very low.

Depending on your speakers and personal taste this will make a big difference in bass response

The voicing of both amp brands is similar, but JRDG will show more details ( at least in my comparisons)

I owned the Pass model 600 for many years in parallel to JRDG Model 12 und Model 9 Ti/HC

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
The original class A/B Rowland M625 stereo and M725 monos are by now a little long in the tooth and have since been replaced by M625 S2 and M725 S2... M725 S2 is a withdrawn product as well, and has been replaced a couple of weeks ago by the new class A/B monos: M735. Here is what I know about the new class A/B monos this far:

M735 is rated at 330W per channel and is now available for shipment. It appears that the new amp may have been enhanced over its predecessor in several areas…

• Custom designed Lundahl cobalt-based amorphous core input transformers are standard on M735. These are used instead of the older high permeability, mu metal lamination core type previously used in the M725 and m725 S2. Note that this is the first time that Rowland adopts Cobalt amorphous transformers in a power amp. Cobalt-based input transformers were first introduced by Rowland on its Conductor phono stage as a higher price option.

• Input phase filters have been enhanced to reduce further EM pollution.

• The error correction circuits first introduced in M625 S2 and M725 S2 have been enhanced in M735 to reduce distortion even further.

A new proprietary material has been adopted for M735’s specially machined footers to maximize mechanical isolation.
You will find more detail in the announcement letter below that you can download from my Dropbox:

Rowland M735 mono amplifier announcement:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohjhfx6zpobk8aa/Rowland%20M735%20Monoblock%20Amplifier%20Announcement.pdf?dl=0

The video below shows what the critter looks like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqrh9yxir927qbu/Rowland%20M735%20Monoblock%20Amplifier%20Video.mp4?dl=0

I will post further technical details as they become available to me.

Saluti, Guido

Last edited:
Reactions: shakti

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Woopsie... Thank you [U]GSOphil[/U] for catching that... Looks like today my laptop is swallowing keystrokes. M735 power rating is 330W per channel... I have now corrected my original post.

Regards, Guido

Sa683s

Jun 26, 2017
I brought XA60.8 brand new and used for 6 months, then I switch to JF725 and live happy with it. Upgrade to 725s2 once available, and even happier. 735 should be a good upgrade to me if price is not too much, as the input transformer is top class.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing