RUNNING SPRINGS MAXIM power distribution box..

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I've found a 9/10 Maxim for a reasonable price and according to reviews this thing does good things to the soundstage. I presently have an old Power Wedge feeding my Lumin and my preamp. My monoblocks plug directly into the wall. The double duplex is hospital grade Hubbells and are fed from a dedicated shielded 12/2 w/grd on a 20a breaker. Question: would installing part the clouds or are we talking subtle improvement? Thanks..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Speaking only for myself, i have dedicated lines, Gryphon directly into wall and (until recently) had all audio signal components into Transparent Audio Ref Power Conditioner...i recently changed the TA Power conditioner to Burmester 948 and it wrought a tremendous improvement in detail retrieval, lower grain and articulation of instrumentation (bass particularly). I am very happy. Fortunately, got it second hand in good condition.

YMMV! Good luck.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Thanks for the reply LL21. I wonder how the RS technology differs from my trusty old Power Wedge. To these old ears my sonics are extremely good now but like rest of the a'phile hoard always searching for that Golden Fleece..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
All i can say is that the RS stuff has been well regarded for well over 10 years...and still is today as far as i know. Its definitely worth a try. I can definitely say, i always had Burmester on my wish list, and am glad to be able to check that one now!

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I have a Dmitri with a HZ power cord an it was a game changer for me. Absolute night and day improvements. Bass depth and clarity, background silence, image specificity. I am looking at that maxim too for my home theater its a steal at under 3k. Cant go wrong at that price.

mbump

Oct 16, 2018
I realize this thread is a few yrs old, but I'll toss a question out in hopes of a learned reply: Aside from # of receptacles, are there any sonic improvements from the Dmitri vs the Haley?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I realize this thread is a few yrs old, but I'll toss a question out in hopes of a learned reply: Aside from # of receptacles, are there any sonic improvements from the Dmitri vs the Haley?

Yes, there are. The typical answer here: dark background, improved dynamics, more detail, etc. But the stuff released in the last few years is much better than the Running Springs designs (as long as you don't plug your power amps into it).

all2ofme

Aug 17, 2018
Another thread resurrection :)

Caesar, do you mean that the Running Springs units (only the amplifier-optimized ones?) are still a good way to go for amplification, or that NO power optimization equipment is good for amplification?

I have a PS Audio unit for now but am exploring options.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I wonder how many of us have Running Springs conditioners in use? They just keep on working. My unit is going on 13 years.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I use a 6 outlet Haley for my system. My dilemma is that I now need more outlets so do I go up to a Jaco or Dmitri or take a left turn and find something different, newer, and shinier, but better? I'd definitely need to audition before making a call, which is where the difficulty lies.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I use a 6 outlet Haley for my system. My dilemma is that I now need more outlets so do I go up to a Jaco or Dmitri or take a left turn and find something different, newer, and shinier, but better? I'd definitely need to audition before making a call, which is where the difficulty lies.

Do you plug your amp(s) into the Haley?

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Yes, I do, to no ill effect that I can detect. It's a 48W class A SET.

There's a similar thread to this where I've sought input on what folks who loved their RSAs moved on to. I'm open to suggestions.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes, I do, to no ill effect that I can detect. It's a 48W class A SET.

There's a similar thread to this where I've sought input on what folks who loved their RSAs moved on to. I'm open to suggestions.

I own 4-5 of the RSA products. What I found was my system sounded best when my amps were connected to one of the RSA high current units instead of the Haley. I think you would see an improvement by just removing the amps from the Haley and using either a Duke, or their higher end high current unit (I can't remember all the names). The Audioquest power units are also considered good for amps.

Last edited:
Reactions: adamaley

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks for the insight. I do intend to audition potential newcomers in the coming months. Lockdown will need to be lifted before I can try out nearby audiophile friends' power components.

There's a Jaco for sale on the 'gon. Off the top of your head, does it have the high current outlets like the Duke does?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks for the insight. I do intend to audition potential newcomers in the coming months. Lockdown will need to be lifted before I can try out nearby audiophile friends' power components.

There's a Jaco for sale on the 'gon. Off the top of your head, does it have the high current outlets like the Duke does?

My recollection is that the Maxim is the best RSA unit for amps. I think the Jaco is a higher end Haley.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Good to know. Is there much truth to rumors that the newer units produced under new ownership are not at good as the originals? If so, what are the indicators of an older vs. new unit?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I believe any RSA units are used or NOS. The company was purchased by a commercial and military power supplier for the in-house parts and technology. RSA products are no longer produced. I’m not even sure you could get an older unit serviced.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing