SA-9 Transformer Replacement

rwwear

Dec 4, 2018
Has anyone replaced the transformers in their SA-9? If so how did it work out and what did you use?
Robt.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
In the past I had an SA-9 and a rare SA-9 "junior" built for me by Mike Elliott. Mine worked regularly in these years and unfortunatly I no longer have schematics in order to help you but I know that in late years of Activity held by Mike Elliott under the brand "Altavista audio" all replacement and upgraded Transformers have bene made by Plitron in Canada.
I Will search in my papers if I can find exact code and values. May be useful for you.
My best
Marco

rwwear

Dec 4, 2018
Thanks Marco.
I got Michael to repair and update my SA-9 years ago. Should have replaced the Transformers then. I think I have the schematics but need to check. Don't know about the Plitron part number though.
Regards
Robert

Reactions: dcc

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I sometimes wish I still had my SA-5000. loved that preamp And can only imagine how good the SA-9 must be.

George

rwwear

Dec 4, 2018
The SA-9 is great but the transformers are noisy. Having the potentiometer bypassed by Michael made a big difference for the better.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
This is a shot in the dark since Alta Vista Audio (Counterpoint) has been out of business for over 8 years, but you may want to try contacting Plitron directly as they may still have the part numbers somewhere. They would begin with AVA (Alta Vista Audio). Try:

Anna Perruccio
CSR Ext. 234 (main # 1-800-754-8766 )
aperruccio@plitron.com
Plitron Manufacturing Inc

Hope this helps!

Reactions: analyzer

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I confirm that this address posted by Barry is very helpful. Anna Perruccio replied quickly and with details.
Excellent service by Plitron

MrMoscode

Oct 29, 2020
Speaking of shots in the dark, does anyone have a Counterpoint SA4 schematic? The power supply board is what I'm looking for.
Any way to get Counterpoint schematics in general?
Mike Elliot still around?

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Any chance you could post this info?
Thanks,
GK
About schematics of SA-4 I don't have It unfortunatly, I asked to a friend of mine, great passionate of Counterpoint gear and answer was the same.
Today I'll try to ask to Mr. Rodolfo Papagna, owner of the technical assistance "L'audio tecnico" here in Turin. He made works and upgrades to my NP-220 and at this time he have 4 (four!) SA-4 awaiting for repair in the laboratory. Maybe he does have the schematics. I'll let you know.
Marco

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
There is something vaguely resembling an SA-4 schematic over at diyAudio in the thread here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/279078-counterpoint-sa4-otl.html I also see a service manual for the SA-4 on WorthPoint.com but don't know what they're charging for it.

You might also try over at Audio Asylum in the OTL section. The amplifier was designed by Roger Modjeski, who might have been helpful, but he passed away last year.

Good luck!

johnsonlwu

Apr 26, 2015
For the SA9 try contacting Dai Pham "dailytrade14" on ebay.
He was the original lead tech for Counterpoint and Altavista.

I am familiar with the SA9 and have repaired 2 myself but sourcing a different transformer that would fit the PS chassis is tough.

Here are the specs.

Are you SURE its the transformer?

I have repaired at least 1 SA5000 and anSA220 which the previous bozo tech thought the transofrmers were broken when theres only a blown or flaky bridge.

Attachments

• SA9-02.png
    SA9-02.png
    629.4 KB · Views: 14
  • SA9-01.png
    SA9-01.png
    562.5 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Kwok

Ehudgeller

Mar 4, 2022
Guys, Plitron no longer make them. They moved it out to another company but for them receives only larger than 100 units- so this is out. There are many other manufacturers of high end toroidal but I don’t have the specs to use for ordering- help pls

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Guys, Plitron no longer make them. They moved it out to another company but for them receives only larger than 100 units- so this is out. There are many other manufacturers of high end toroidal but I don’t have the specs to use for ordering- help pls
This is a sad news. I must admit that also when I commissioned a custom transformer to Plitron for my NP-220 I had to purchase two of these since Plitron does not accept orders below 1000 USD; this was very annoying.
After I sold my NP-220 here in Italy I have already the other power transformer for another SA-220/NP-220; maybe someone is interested in have it. It's unused but it works on European 230 voltage only and I'm not sure that will be a compatible choice for an SA-9. It's probably for size and weight but values of secondary endings probably does not match with an SA-9.
Hope that the owner of SA-9 can find one successful solution.
my best
Marco

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I checked the specifications of transformer I had from Plitron in late 2018 for my SA-220/NP-220 that it's still unused here; and with my great surprise it's almost IDENTICAL to specifications required for this posted for SA-9.
There are very unobtrusive deviations in two or three windings, within a fraction of volt until 3 volts... so I must suppose that will works perfectly in an SA-9. The only doubt is related to the size since mine is 1 cm taller...
ah... also weight is slightly different, mine is heavier of almost 1 kilogram and a half.
It's a pity that mine transformer works only at European voltage 225 volts and not at american voltage ratings. I have it for sale at a fraction of the cost sustained, it could have been useful for you.
my best
Marco

Attachments

• 777300.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 3

Kwok

Aug 26, 2023
United Kingdom
For the SA9 try contacting Dai Pham "dailytrade14" on ebay.
He was the original lead tech for Counterpoint and Altavista.

I am familiar with the SA9 and have repaired 2 myself but sourcing a different transformer that would fit the PS chassis is tough.

Here are the specs.

Are you SURE its the transformer?

I have repaired at least 1 SA5000 and anSA220 which the previous bozo tech thought the transofrmers were broken when theres only a blown or flaky bridge.
Hello,

Do you by any chance that you would know how to get Counterpoint SA9 and SA11 service manual? I have both gears that need some repairs and restoration. Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing