Sablon design approach

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
My strategy for Sablon is conceptually simple - to build the best cable I can at any given time and offer it at an attractive price within its performance peer group.

All Sablon cables are designed around proven engineering principles and use the best sounding materials that I can find. After this starting point, iterative listening sessions are used to refine the final implementation, sometimes deploying unconventional techniques to improve the sonic outcome.

A critical approach in achieving these objectives is to bypass the bulk cable reels used by many in favour of hand-building my cables from individual wires upwards. This allows considerably more flexibility in sourcing the best sounding wire and then optimising the geometry and gauges deployed. After this, selective shielding and vibration damping is applied.

Achieving a low noise floor is fundamental to performance, as this promotes both greater transparency of detail / ambient cues and an extended dynamic range. This quality is frequently observed in Sablon cables and is somewhat unusually achieved without sonically invasive braided shielding which diminishes air / openness / vitality. Geometry, gauge and purity of materials are the key drivers here. Voicing is neutral and extended, yet carefully tuned to remain musically engaging.

I have to admit to not being much of a ‘measurements’ person since this approach does not encompass everything that matters sonically and therefore do not publish LCR data. Design judgements are made by ear, which is just how any customer would evaluate cables. I can however say that I mostly prioritise low impedance over low capacitance, often using a larger wire area than the industry norm.

From the perspective of materials, I have previously made or used designs made from copper / silver / gold / platinum and plated variations thereof. They all have their individual qualities and innate characters however I have largely standardised my model range around a copper conductor which simply performs better across the board without any significant colouration. And yes, it is more transparent than silver that I have evaluated.

Materials purity is an area where marketeers typically go to town yet metallurgists would laugh at their claims of >5N, as such purity simply cannot exist in oxygenated air. I personally find that careful soft annealing and slow precise drawing generate better sound. As for Ohno / single crystal wires, my experience hasn’t been particularly compelling. Ditto cryo treatment. Don’t even ask about plated conductors!

Connectors are often a key determinant in both performance and voicing. This is unfortunate as the best (or should I say the least bad?) can be very expensive. I have no supplier conflicts here since I am not a dealer for any brands and can choose anything available but will say that Bocchino makes the best that I have heard. I wish this wasn’t the case as they are expensive and supply isn’t straightforward however the sound quality is a big leap over the best of the rest.

Anyhow, it’s time to get off my soap box for now.......

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing