Sadurni Acoustics horns - any thoughts?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi everyone, contemplating my final destination speaker. I'm very happy w/my Zu Audio Definitions 4, but after getting into SETs in a big way, and hearing a number of horns in the last 5 years, I am seriously considering buying a pair of horns. My issue is that every pair of horns I listen to, despite sounding great in so many ways, maintain compromises that I would struggle to reconcile in the l/t.
Cessaro Liszts seem incongruous from mids into bass; Avantgarde Trios are just too scaled up/panoramic; Avantgarde Duos have some bass integration issues; Tune Audio Animas are just a little too terse for my liking.
So, now I come across Sadurni Acoustics, which from the technicals and reports, may be the real deal.
True 3 way, so not compromised in the essential lower mids/upper bass area that 2-ways shoehorn in w/the mids horn.
Using MDF, not plastic, horns
The Turbine bass system, which seems to ingeniously combine the back wave into the front wave to max speed and cleanliness of sub frequencies, maxing seamless dynamics all the way down.
And less than $40k I believe.
What's not to like.
Feedback please.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Terry, am I right in assuming you're female? Your avatar and interest in perfume? Although in 2015, one can never be certain :cool:. I have a reason for asking.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've heard the Sadurni's at a number of audio shows and they sound very life-like. They don't have that "hand-cuppy" coloration that horns so often have.

Terry, which horns are you comparing it to? Also, which city are they located in?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Terry, sorry for such a stupid q, but your avatar could have been your PA dealing w/idiots like me online :p!
No, the reason I ask is that I do think females have a different way of assessing equipment, w/possible more acuity in the hearing/auditioning process.
My GF has the best hearing of anyone I know, able to pick up on different species of birdsong around her. She picks up immediately on any change good or bad in audio. I suspect you may be the same or similar. And I take your comments as v.helpful, and positive that one of the negative attributes of horns may thankfully be absent from these.
Hope you don't mind me ascribing gender roles here? Feminism has come a long way, and it's apparent women have a lot more common sense than men, v.useful in such an expensive pastime :eek:!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Horns seem to be making a pretty big comeback these days. IMO, they tend to sound great upon first listen, BUT after extensive exposure, they can really be unpleasant. One has to get extensive listening experience in one's own system and room to live with them...given that, IF they float your boat...:cool:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
+1, Davey, refer back to the start of my opening statement. Agree w/your contention fully. I wouldn't call any of these negative traits of horn disconnect I mention "unpleasant" as such (other than the Animas' tone which IMHO, I found surprisingly displeasing), more just adding a sense of cognitive unease l/t. Once you start to notice bass disconnect from the mids, jitteriness w/non audiophile/non spacious recordings, you now listen to the gear not the music.
I am fortunate in being having transformed my core Zu sound over the last five yrs w/a lot of spending on power, grounding, cables, isolation, and amazing Nat Audio 211 SET amps, so much so that my Zu sound has taken a quantum leap in terms of air, transparency and dynamic ease, ironically what good horns are famed for. And I feel a little unsure that just at the point everything is holistically coming together, I may chuck the baby out w/the bathwater by going horns, Sadurni specifically.
Re your thoughts on living w/equipment, in this day and age, that's really difficult, and will be nigh on impossible w/a US-based spkr w/no UK distribution. No, any decision to buy would be based maybe on a 24-48 hr demo if I travel to the States - and a massive dose of crossing my fingers :eek:!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There certainly are Keith. True 3 way horns rather than 2 way w/an additional dynamic driver. Those that have well-engineered/congruent bass that integrates into every room, and the rest of the horn spectrum higher up. Sadurni are definitely tweeter horn, mid horn, and lower mid/upper bass horn. Not a 13" driver for the lower mids. And I would insist on no quibble refund if they could not integrate bass w/out nodes dominating. Not all dealers offer that, even those just miles away from me in London. If they didn't offer this, I would turn them down, just like I've done in the past w/local London-based horn dealers.
Maybe check out the specs and quality of what Sadurni are offering for a very competitive financial package, and then contribute.
Please, all Sadurni contributions, from owners, or just those that have heard them, please.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have 2 passes and a fail (no integer multiple within 5%), based on 27' x 22' x 13'. Have no issues re bass integration. Bass performance has come on leaps and bounds w/power addressed by Westwick 8kVA balanced power, Entreq grounding, new Sablon Audio cable loom, Shun Mook/Symposium Acoustics Isis-Rollerblocks vibration control, and esp Nat SET amps.
Please, restrict comments to Sadurni, this is the thread for it. By all means talk about general horns integration issues, but on another thread.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Contact made w/Jorge. Will make a trip to NYC to hear them, maybe combine w/a visit to a WBF guy to hear well-sorted 2+2 dsp.
This is a Hell of an undertaking. I'm taking my GF to hear an excellent-sounding horns setup locally today (AG Duos, bespoke 2W amps, Audio Aero La Fontaine, Lampi GG), to give her a flavour of this possible destination. She needs to be kept on board.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Now there's a coincidence Marc, I have of late been contemplating a very similar move myself, with the Sadurni Accoustics making my list for serious consideration. Would your Significan other mind If you took me along instead:D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Now there's a coincidence Marc, I have of late been contemplating a very similar move myself, with the Sadurni Accoustics making my list for serious consideration. Would your Significan other mind If you took me along instead:D

From the CLX to horns?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was thinking more along the lines of CLX and Horns Kedar, for that Box Free zone thang!

Why don't you also get a datasat auro 3d multichannel, there is a guy in Brighton who has that in a 7m by 3m room, a 13.4 system, and if you also get that, you should have the top 3 types of systems I am lusting for.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also, you need to pay to read my upcoming reviews of western electric from Leipzig and the Aries cerat horns from Cyprus.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Why don't you also get a datasat auro 3d multichannel, there is a guy in Brighton who has that in a 7m by 3m room, a 13.4 system, and if you also get that, you should have the top 3 types of systems I am lusting for.

We're I to consider a Static multi rig for movies I would take a closer look at these, possibly wall mounted.

http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/model-1200/

So, back on topic, I also love the somewhat Dan Dare/ Flash Gordon Look about the SA horns.

Saturntube

Industry Expert
Feb 8, 2011
Austin Texas
www.SadurniAcoustics.com
Thank you for your interest in our Horns,

About the look, we can make them any color you like, black looks amazing, but "mid life crisis Red" (as posted by a reviewer) is still my favorite!

About our Bass Horns don't take my word for it:

"The main/sub blend was also outstanding"
Jonathan Valin

" I’ve never heard such midrange to treble realism"
Peter Breuninger

I will post a longer answer a little later.

Jorge Sadurni

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-chicago-2014/
http://www.avshowrooms.com/Axpona_2015.html

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jorge, do keep us informed. I'm very happy to make the trip, but have highlighted some logistical concerns by email re buying from outside the US, esp w/no UK based dealers. I'm sure you will understand the issues involved.
Re finishes, I'm actually a big fan of lighter colours, and white or pearl would be VERY nice, esp if you can extend this to the bass modules.
Look fwd to your input and answers to my qs in my message.

Reactions: NextG-Horn

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing