SAEC tonearm second hand or an alternative new?

Erik77

Nov 3, 2020

Dear fellow hobbyists,

I found a good deal online for a second hand SAEC WE-308 L , but refurbished. I was just wondering, what your advice would be. So, assuming it has been recently restored, would you recommend buying such a tonearm, vs maybe spending 1500 eur on a new tonearm, such as Ortofon 210 or Groovemaster. What would be your considerations?

thanks!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I’ve been extremely happy with my Groovemaster. Excellent build quality and it tracks extremely well.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Also terms such as "refurbished" carry wildly different interpretation. I'd find out exactly what was done.

I am biased as a dealer for AudioCreative but the Groovemaster really is a very fine tonearm...

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The SAEC 308L is a nice arm, but far away from the performance of a FR64s or similar.

Groovemaster or FR64s are very heavy arms. If you want to listen to more modern cartridges with medium compliance,
I would go for

- Sorane TA-1 9"

or, if your turntable can host the length

- Sorane TA- 1L 12.7"

Sorane is a relatively new brandname from the OEM manufacturer of Dynavactor and Ikeda tonearms.

So you get a good quality for a fair price.

TA-1-TA-1L-1536x612.jpg

Reactions: marty

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Reactions: djsina2

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing