Sasha 1vs Sasha 2 - Which one to buy?

gordonf360

Nov 30, 2019
I am new to this forum and have owned Martin Logan speakers for the last 15 years. Currently own the SL3's which i just set back up after moving around for a couple of years and being without my system.

I want to buy Wilson speakers and originally wanted to buy the WP 8's but I think i have narrowed my search down to the Sasha series. I don't listen to classical / audiophile elevator music whatsoever... I am into more modern music ranging from electronic, rock, goth, metal, to some country and hip hop. In other words more dynamic music with a good amount of bass. I also plan on buying a REL S5 or 212 sub to augment the bass region.
Current amp I have is a Krell KAV 250 a/3 which is 250wpc into 8 ohms and 500 into 4 ohms x 3. I may upgrade this as needed. Preamp is Krell KRC-3.

I know the silk dome tweeter is the biggest difference between the 1 and the 2. I am 50 yrs old and my ears are not what they used to be and i prefer more forward treble as opposed to muted treble.

I can get a Sasha 1 for between $12,000 - $14,500 and Sasha 2 for around $20k and up. What would you get?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sasha 2 is much superior to 1. Sasha 1, Sophia, and Alexia 1 were Wilson's lowest points. The watt puppies are better

gordonf360

Nov 30, 2019
Sasha 2 is much superior to 1. Sasha 1, Sophia, and Alexia 1 were Wilson's lowest points. The watt puppies are better
Thanks for your response. Curious why you say that - because of the tweeter? Is there that much else that is different between sasha 1 and 2 besides that?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for your response. Curious why you say that - because of the tweeter? Is there that much else that is different between sasha 1 and 2 besides that?

2 is much more coherent and better integrated. It is a much superior speaker to Alexia 1

gordonf360

Nov 30, 2019
OK. Do these sound nice with Krell amps? Currently have a KAV 250 a/3 but thinking about getting a Krell FPB 300...

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

Having owned the Sasha mk 1 for 3+ years and having heard the WP7 and WP8 many times, there is absolutely no question in my mind that Sasha 1 is superior speaker to any previous WP speaker.

The biggest difference is less boomy bass. The Sasha mk 1 is also much more coherent sounding.

Reactions: lem321 and XV-1

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I am new to this forum and have owned Martin Logan speakers for the last 15 years. Currently own the SL3's which i just set back up after moving around for a couple of years and being without my system.

I want to buy Wilson speakers and originally wanted to buy the WP 8's but I think i have narrowed my search down to the Sasha series. I don't listen to classical / audiophile elevator music whatsoever... I am into more modern music ranging from electronic, rock, goth, metal, to some country and hip hop. In other words more dynamic music with a good amount of bass. I also plan on buying a REL S5 or 212 sub to augment the bass region.
Current amp I have is a Krell KAV 250 a/3 which is 250wpc into 8 ohms and 500 into 4 ohms x 3. I may upgrade this as needed. Preamp is Krell KRC-3.

I know the silk dome tweeter is the biggest difference between the 1 and the 2. I am 50 yrs old and my ears are not what they used to be and i prefer more forward treble as opposed to muted treble.

I can get a Sasha 1 for between $12,000 - $14,500 and Sasha 2 for around $20k and up. What would you get?

You should be fine with Sasha mk 1. It is a very good speaker and the titanium tweeter may be fine for the type of music you are into. I would spend the extra money upgrading the amp or source components.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
OK. Do these sound nice with Krell amps? Currently have a KAV 250 a/3 but thinking about getting a Krell FPB 300...

No. But if you want krell integrated budget and much better overall sound, try mastersound integrated with devore orangutan 96 or tannoy 15 inch gold in Lockwood cabinets with Luxman 509 integrated.

Caelin, the owner of Shunyata moved from Sasha to devore 6 years ago and you can reach out to him for feedback

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
No. But if you want krell integrated budget and much better overall sound, try mastersound integrated with devore orangutan 96 or tannoy 15 inch gold in Lockwood cabinets with Luxman 509 integrated.

Caelin, the owner of Shunyata moved from Sasha to devore 6 years ago and you can reach out to him for feedback

For crying outloud - you're like a 16th Century Jesuit - reducciones de indios .

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
IMHO, get the Sasha 2. You'll be fine with the Krell.

Reactions: MJB and Kingsrule

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I owned Sasha v1, the titanium tweeter can get pretty “hot”, the silk dome tweeter in Sasha v2 is much better.

Reactions: bonzo75 and MJB

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
An used Sasha v2 is a real bargain and it is not a "difficult" speaker - it is compatible with a large number of amplifiers.
Many people are getting the DAW, there are plenty of them available.

Reactions: CKKeung and MJB

gordonf360

Nov 30, 2019
Thanks for everyone's input! Looks like I am going to pull the trigger on a pair of used factory certified Sasha 2's with a 5 year dealer warranty. Can't wait to get them! What is everyone's recommended Transparent speaker cable with my Krell amp? Looking for a good value here under $800.

thanks

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
Thanks for everyone's input! Looks like I am going to pull the trigger on a pair of used factory certified Sasha 2's with a 5 year dealer warranty. Can't wait to get them! What is everyone's recommended Transparent speaker cable with my Krell amp? Looking for a good value here under $800.

thanks

I've been using Transparent Audio products for a long time with a variety of components starting with Krell MDA 300 amps in the 1990's (with Wilson Watt Puppies) and more recently with Audio Research electronics with Wilson Sasha v1. I also own the Krell 250a/3 amp in a home theater set-up. I don't think you can go wrong with something in the Transparent Ultra or Reference line if you can find them used. I found this level to be a relative sweet spot and a good match with speakers at this price point. If your (speaker?) cable budget is in the sub $1000 level, you may also look at the Super level. A number of people online report that each new generation of Transparent cable exceeds the level of performance of the previous generation by at least one level. For example, a Super cable in the MM2 generation outperforms the Ultra level of the prior MM1 generation. I have not verified this myself.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried a lot of different cables but the Wilson-Transparent combination is commonly seen at shows which tells me something. I'm sure other cables work equally well. Most importantly, it works for me.

Joe P

May 11, 2019
Put these on the titanium tweeter models and you'll save a lot of money:

SPEC.JPG

Reactions: CKKeung

gordonf360

Nov 30, 2019
update:
I ended up buying the Sasha 2's pretty much brand new (Dealer demo) with 5 year warranty. Black color.
They sound amazing for sure, but I don't know what everyone is raving about the bass on these. It is ok, but it seems like some people even say that they have too much bass which is definitely not the case. Unless you're used to listening to a tin can, you absolutely need a subwoofer with these no question! I am using these with a Krell FPB 300 and Krell KRC 3 preamp being fed by Lumin D 2 so my equipment is obviously not the problem here. Room is also treated with proper room treatments and bass trapping.
Regardless i just ordered a REL 212 SE sub so that should give me proper bass. Otherwise they are absolutely amazing speakers.

Reactions: Maxb

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: Joe P

gordonf360

Nov 30, 2019
REL 212SE have arrived and been properly integrated into the system and needles to say these subs take the system to a whole other level. I have had many subs in my audiophile lifetime and these are by far the best ones I have ever had.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing