Sasha DAW vs Alexia 2

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Finally my DAW has arrived. Now, where is that dream amplifier?:eek::eek::eek: EE319D1B-2DEA-4B01-92FD-E9994D49CD23.jpeg DDA645D6-1F62-4941-ADE0-4C339279029C.jpeg

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
Congratulations, now à lot of hours for Burning and discover what a DAW can give. Do not hesitate to give her an amplifier with extra power. I use Pass a pair of XA160.5. Other choie could be a d’Agostino, amazing...

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Congratulations, now à lot of hours for Burning and discover what a DAW can give. Do not hesitate to give her an amplifier with extra power. I use Pass a pair of XA160.5. Other choie could be a d’Agostino, amazing...
Thank you. How many hours of burn in in your experience?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Just to chime in, a very good amplifier with plenty of power for the Sasha DAW, and is also budget friendly would be a used pair of Parasound JC1 or new the latest JC1+. There is a Stereophile review of the JC1+, and considering the cost of high end amps these days, a bargain. I have Alexia v1, and I know WA speakers are very happy when you feed them lots of power.

Reactions: GSOphile

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I‘ve come across this phrase from the review by Martin Colloms:
”Daryl Wilson has noted that with valve-tubed amplifiers this loudspeaker’s interaction with the higher source impedance may suggest further adjustment of the head azimuth, for best subjective focus and perspective for that particular audio system.“ The link to the full review: https://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/...AVLN53QfONjgzl84zcFrYwubad_UlquTaPixx6inGiz-A

Since I use a tube amplifier, does that mean I should play further with the alignment of the upper modules? I am currently using spike #2, step 3 in accordance with the supplied Propagation delay tables.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for the answers. I understand, that an 18 watt set amplifier is not an ideal match for either Sasha or Alexia. And, if I decide to go with Wilson, I will definitely look at other options.
I tried Sasha very briefly with Jadis JA 80, which is sitting behind Dartzeel on the photo. It’s a 60 watt push-pulll amplifier. Yes, bass was a bit better (more punch, better defined), but it all came at the expense of less lively midrange and HF. The same story was with Dartzeel, which was rather boring. And it also happened with PBN M2!5 and my own speakers. I guess a SET amplifier has some magic in the midrange, which is difficult to get with other amp types, but it certainly has some limitations.

This time I am not a uninterested unbiased opinion, ;) as I am selling them at the WBF classifieds, but the Lamm M1.2ref + L2 ref are an excellent match with either Sasha or Alexia.

Reactions: abeidrov

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
This time I am not a uninterested unbiased opinion, ;) as I am selling them at the WBF classifieds, but the Lamm M1.2ref + L2 ref are an excellent match with either Sasha or Alexia.
I checked your listing. Very nice:) So far I have a feeling that Lamm M1.2 or Pass XA 160.8 would be the best two choices in my situation. Currently there are 2 things that stop me from buying Lamm: first of all, I've never heard a Lamm apmplifier, so I have no idea if I like the sound. I am not able to find one for audition, but I keep trying. Wether it will sing with my Coincident pre is another big question. Secondly, Lamm is not represented in Russia, so if something happens to a unit, there is no way to repair it locally.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
ARC Ref 160m sounds really good on the DAWs.
Keith, I know, I will try to find one for an audition, but the retail price in Russia scares me: $25K for one unit, $50K for a pair!!!o_O The price in the US is around $30K for a pair If am not mistaken.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
I‘ve come across this phrase from the review by Martin Colloms:
”Daryl Wilson has noted that with valve-tubed amplifiers this loudspeaker’s interaction with the higher source impedance may suggest further adjustment of the head azimuth, for best subjective focus and perspective for that particular audio system.“ The link to the full review: https://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/...AVLN53QfONjgzl84zcFrYwubad_UlquTaPixx6inGiz-A

Since I use a tube amplifier, does that mean I should play further with the alignment of the upper modules? I am currently using spike #2, step 3 in accordance with the supplied Propagation delay tables.

It appears you are at a 36" ear height and a 9' or 10' listening distance. If you want to experiment, you can try one block step up or one block step down. Make sure to move the block such that the front spikes of the module remain properly positioned. Also be sure to do the comparison of 2 positions at a time, not 3. That is do 3 vs 2 and then do 3 vs 4. Should be fun. Enjoy!

Reactions: SundayNiagara

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
It appears you are at a 36" ear height and a 9' or 10' listening distance. If you want to experiment, you can try one block step up or one block step down. Make sure to move the block such that the front spikes of the module remain properly positioned. Also be sure to do the comparison of 2 positions at a time, not 3. That is do 3 vs 2 and then do 3 vs 4. Should be fun. Enjoy!
You are right: I am at a 36" ear height and a 10' listening distance. What is interesting: if you look at the Upper Alignmen Block Step table, none of the nearby cells in the table give position 4. It's actually position 1 in 3 cases (for a ear height 38"), and position 2 in one case. Judging by the table, should I really try positions 1 and 2 first?

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
You are right: I am at a 36" ear height and a 10' listening distance. What is interesting: if you look at the Upper Alignmen Block Step table, none of the nearby cells in the table give position 4. It's actually position 1 in 3 cases (for a ear height 38"), and position 2 in one case. Judging by the table, should I really try positions 1 and 2 first?

Keep in mind that positioning is interrelated with the parameters of listening distance and ear height. You can try any of them but it is most likely if a change is desired, it will occur one step either side of what the chart says for your 36"/10' settings.

Reactions: abeidrov

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I tried Positions 2 vs 3 and 1 vs 3 yesterday. I think 2 is the best sounding, but I am not sure:) What things should I look for when configuring the speakers for correct time alignment? What music is best suited for this task?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
A quick update: I switched to 4 ohms output terminals of my amp and and the overall tonal balance is much better now:
But the more I listen to Sashas, the more I think that an amp change is in order. If you had a choice between these 4 wonderful transistor amps for the DAW, what would you pick and why?
Pass Labs XA160.8
D'Agostino Momentum S250 Stereo
Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
CH Precision A1.5

Based on what I have read so far, Pass and D’Agostino are more on the warm side, where Gryphon and CH are neutral sounding. Is that true?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
But the more I listen to Sashas, the more I think that an amp change is in order. If you had a choice between these 4 wonderful transistor amps for the DAW, what would you pick and why?
Pass Labs XA160.8
D'Agostino Momentum S250 Stereo
Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
CH Precision A1.5

Wilson does many (most?) of their demos with D'Agostino equipment. Fwiw, the Lamm M1.2 or M2.2 hybrids work very well with Sasha.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Wilson does many (most?) of their demos with D'Agostino equipment. Fwiw, the Lamm M1.2 or M2.2 hybrids work very well with Sasha.
Lamm would be my first choice if they had a distributor in Russia. Unfortunately, Vladimir Shushurin (Lamm) is not very fond of his former motherland or maybe the market is very small and he simply is not interested :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing