Saskia model two

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As you know Bill, Vic the designer of my rim/idler Salvation could not get an optical feedback system to work re moment to moment micro correction of speed. Whatever he tried led to a coldness or greyness in sound. Even the neat trick of measuring and correcting microvariations in voltage swings as speed changes led to changes in motor voltage output (or something like that), led to negatives in SQ.

Vic settled on simple analog "set (via strobe disc) and forget (for a few days at a time)".

Maybe Saskia also dispenses w speed measure/adjust loop?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Mike,

Is the Saskia AC or DC motor? How is speed controlled accurately in this implementation? I know the Blackstone uses an optical encoder type approach. Wondered whether Saskia did similar.

Cheers

It's a 3 phase pabst. That gives the hustle and flow

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yes, but how does it keep correct speed?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

Is the Saskia AC or DC motor? How is speed controlled accurately in this implementation? I know the Blackstone uses an optical encoder type approach. Wondered whether Saskia did similar.

Cheers

hi Bill,

don't know about AC or DC motor.

Win did describe how the Saskia motor controller regulates speed. but it was in the mix of other info and was pretty deep. i know that (1) it's an analog controller, (2) it does not have a feedback loop so the speed does not 'hunt', and (3) it is software up-gradable.....there is a connection on the back side for that purpose. an optical reader is installed under the platter which is currently not functional. you can see it in the 3rd picture down in this post (that black post sticking up next to the bearing tower);

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/saskia-model-two.28727/#post-591275

at some point that may be part of an upgrade.

one big difference between the original Saskia and the model two is the controller/power supply which Win had help designing. next time i speak to Win i will revisit this topic and take some good notes. sorry i can't be more detailed at this time. btw; that power supply/speed controller weighs 40 pounds and 70 watts to run....not trivial.

the moral of the story is 'first do no harm'. i think when you have awesome speed performance that there is a point at which making things more complicated moves you in the wrong direction for the music. i love that Win is not looking for adding complexity for it's own sake. but he provided for a step forward when/if that can happen.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
hi Bill,

don't know about AC or DC motor.

Win did describe how the Saskia motor controller regulates speed. but it was in the mix of other info and was pretty deep. i know that (1) it's an analog controller, (2) it does not have a feedback loop so the speed does not 'hunt', and (3) it is software up-gradable.....there is a connection on the back side for that purpose. an optical reader is installed under the platter which is currently not functional. you can see it in the 3rd picture down in this post (that black post sticking up next to the bearing tower);

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/saskia-model-two.28727/#post-591275

at some point that may be part of an upgrade.

one big difference between the original Saskia and the model two is the controller/power supply which Win had help designing. next time i speak to Win i will revisit this topic and take some good notes. sorry i can't be more detailed at this time. btw; that power supply/speed controller weighs 40 pounds and 70 watts to run....not trivial.

the moral of the story is 'first do no harm'. i think when you have awesome speed performance that there is a point at which making things more complicated moves you in the wrong direction for the music. i love that Win is not looking for adding complexity for it's own sake. but he provided for a step forward when/if that can happen.

If there is an encoder, surely there has to be some form of feedback circuit to then adjust the speed if it is detected as straying?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
If there is an encoder, surely there has to be some form of feedback circuit to then adjust the speed if it is detected as straying?

sorry if i was not sufficiently clear.

there is an optical reader but it is NOT functional. it's there in case they can advance the performance by adding a feedback circuit. so far they have not done that.....i don't know how far along they are to adding that, if at all. what i recall is that doing that is a possibility.....but ONLY if it improves the performance.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
sorry if i was not sufficiently clear.

there is an optical reader but it is NOT functional. it's there in case they can advance the performance by adding a feedback circuit. so far they have not done that.....i don't know how far along they are to adding that, if at all. what i recall is that doing that is a possibility.....but ONLY if it improves the performance.

Oh I see. Got it.

I wonder how it maintains its speed stability in the current model then?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill, does Vyger run an optical encoder/feedback loop to aid micro speed adjustment? Or do you just get it to the right speed via help w strobe disc/Timeline etc? And maybe readjust manually every few days/wks/months?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, does Vyger run an optical encoder/feedback loop to aid micro speed adjustment? Or do you just get it to the right speed via help w strobe disc/Timeline etc? And maybe readjust manually every few days/wks/months?

I actually don’t know in honesty. It doesn’t change speed from month to month. I went around 7 months between checking and it was still exactly what it was. Definitely no readjust required at all in my experience.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill, that is scary good. I wonder how much harder it is to get a high torque idler like Saskia to the same level of accuracy.

I'm about to buy the current iteration of Roadrunner speed measuring device. My idler/rim Salvation needs a nudge to correct every other day.

Reactions: Lagonda

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
What do you use to check yr Vyger's speed?

I have a Clearaudio strobe disc and I use 2 platter apps on iPhone - one called RPM and the other called Turntabulator.

Reactions: tima

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Not necessarily, you control ac frequency, ramp up and ramp down speeds of the motor nothing to do with feedback loops. Software upgrades if any usually have to do with ramping times, this way you have programing flexibility incase further fine-tuning is needed

david

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have a Clearaudio strobe disc and I use 2 platter apps on iPhone - one called RPM and the other called Turntabulator.

Do the phone apps give the same reading?

Not a comment on what you're doing: I'm curious if there is variability across the use of phone apps for measuring speed, not because of the apps but because of the phones. I'd like to see an experiment with say ten instances of the same phone and app simultaneously, to assess variability and consistency

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The AirForce one makes an intelligent use of the encoder - it uses feedback during startup to reach the exact speed and afterwards forgets about it, driving the phases of synchronous motor with the optimized constant amplitude and frequency .

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Not necessarily, you control ac frequency, ramp up and ramp down speeds of the motor nothing to do with feedback loops. Software upgrades if any usually have to do with ramping times, this way you have programing flexibility incase further fine-tuning is needed

david

Thanks David. What is the optimal way for controlling frequency in TT external power supplies?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The AirForce one makes an intelligent use of the encoder - it uses feedback during startup to reach the exact speed and afterwards forgets about it, driving the phases of synchronous motor with the optimized constant amplitude and frequency .

Okay makes sense. Thanks Micro.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing