Saying Hi from Andy

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
Hi Guys

I’m new to the forum but have been lurking for sometime now…..
I’ve been active in the hobby for probably 30 years, like most people going through various iterations of components and speakers etc. but always vinyl centric.
Over the last few years I’ve been building my system around a pair of Sound Lab M1 PX speakers driven by VTL mono blocks. All in a dedicated room in the basement.
D68FAA05-1361-4AE0-889C-15A87EB34EAE.jpeg
As far as musical tastes go I listen mostly to twentieth century classical - Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich…. As well as classic jazz - Ellington, Peterson and Count Basie.
Looking forward to learning more from everyone here.
Andy

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Very nice system ! Welcome to WBF ! :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...quite a special space and one heckuva pair of speakers! Look forward to reading more!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
BTW, that looks like some SERIOUS near-field listening! Be curious with speakers that large and apparently spacious how you came to that particular arrangement! Must be quite an immersive effect!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Guys

I’ve been active in the hobby for probably 30 years, like most people going through various iterations of components and speakers etc. but always vinyl centric.
Over the last few years I’ve been building my system around a pair of Sound Lab M1 PX speakers driven by VTL mono blocks. All in a dedicated room in the basement.
View attachment 80055
As far as musical tastes go I listen mostly to twentieth century classical - Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich…. As well as classic jazz - Ellington, Peterson and Count Basie.
Andy
Welcome to WBF. Your room and system must give you a lot of enjoyment.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi Guys

View attachment 80055
Andy
Beautiful room and setup congrats.

Reactions: Andrew S.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great to read from another SoundLab fan in WBF! Did you fit them with the Toroid 2?

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
Thanks guy’s!

yes real near field listening - what you don’t see in the picture is a chimney breast which necessitates the geometry of the listening room (sadly). Anyway with Sound Labs you can sit in true near field without issues - it’s an equilateral arrangement - with the speakers approx 6 ft apart (center to center)

As far as equipment I’m using a Technics sp10 mk2 in a marine ply plinth. One arm is an SME 312s/VdH Crimson Stradivarius the other is a 3012 series 2/Decca London Reference. My phono stage is a Lamm LP2.1 deluxe feeding a Wyetech Opal, and the power amps are VTL MB450 mk1. All except the Crimson were bought second hand.

I live about 25 miles west of Boston, so would be good to meet up with some like minded guys :)

cheers for now

Andy

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks guy’s!

yes real near field listening - what you don’t see in the picture is a chimney breast which necessitates the geometry of the listening room (sadly). Anyway with Sound Labs you can sit in true near field without issues - it’s an equilateral arrangement - with the speakers approx 6 ft apart (center to center)

As far as equipment I’m using a Technics sp10 mk2 in a marine ply plinth. One arm is an SME 312s/VdH Crimson Stradivarius the other is a 3012 series 2/Decca London Reference. My phono stage is a Lamm LP2.1 deluxe feeding a Wyetech Opal, and the power amps are VTL MB450 mk1. All except the Crimson were bought second hand.

I live about 25 miles west of Boston, so would be good to meet up with some like minded guys :)

cheers for now

Andy

welcome to the forum Andy. Very interesting system. I have the same phono stage, a VDH Colibri and an SME 3012R. I’d love to get together sometime. I live on the North Shore of Boston. Fellow member Al M lives nearby. Three very different systems but I think we would have fun together. He loves Shostakovich.

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
welcome to the forum Andy. Very interesting system. I have the same phono stage, a VDH Colibri and an SME 3012R. I’d love to get together sometime. I live on the North Shore of Boston. Fellow member Al M lives nearby. Three very different systems but I think we would have fun together. He loves Shostakovich.
That would be great Peter! Is there a way to message within the forum?

Andy

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Andy!

Your room and system look fantastic! VTL on electrostatic speakers is a combination I enjoyed for 18 years!

Reactions: Andrew S.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Welcome,

My favorite thing believe it or not is that you have some natural light coming in. There's no doubt you're a serious guy about audio.

Reactions: PeterA

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Welcome Andy, Love the aesthetics of the room!!

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
Hi Microstrip - my back plates have the AU90 transformers from Australia. This mod removes the RC network entirely - was a good improvement.

Hi Peter - I’ll see what I can do about a video - no promises :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Guys

View attachment 80055
Andy
Wow. listening so close to the panels. Very interesting seating position for me. I would pay a thousand bucks to teleport me to that chair. (Another thousand to a chair in Utah. Another thousand to a chair in Seattle. Another thousand to a chair in London. Another thousand to a chair in ... where is Leif's.)

I sit 6 meters from my speakers. Very different listening perspective from yours.

Nice meeting you sir.
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Leif is near Oslo. You should also book a chair near Norfolk to get your back repaired while listening and in Portugal where you can remember your younger student days

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing