Schiit Yggdrasil or Holo May (and if May, how much does ZTE version get you) or ??? in the $5k range?

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a new DAC in the <$5k range. I've read great things about the Yggdrasil for years, and the Holo May more recently. I think the Denafrips is in that price range as well (well, actually $6k).

My current DAC is a modified Gustard X20, and it sounds quite good to my ears. I'm just getting the itch to try something different.

Do I just order the May ZTE and be happy, or is it worth giving the others a shot?

Can someone point me to a comparison between the different levels of the Holo May, i.e. what does the extra couple $K buy in terms of performance?

enginerd

Mar 11, 2021
San Francisco
I'm assuming you meant KTE. The technical changes are listed on the Kitsune website of course, but I'm not aware of any listening comparison between the different versions (there aren't that many reviews of May DACs out there as it is). I went with KTE because at that point, I was in it for a penny, in it for $5k...

I came from a Yggy to a Spring KTE to the May KTE. The May compared to the Spring is much more neutral sounding and much more detailed. It's been too long since I've owned a Yggy so I can't give you direct comparisons there. You may have seen DAC comparisons on other sites where Yggy and Spring were comparable in performance.

You've probably already read the reviews of the Denafrips and the May in Stereophile.

Reactions: ACHiPo

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I am biased towards the Yggy. It has quite a back order btw. A friend had the Spring and an Yggy with a purpose built room. He sold the Spring. It had a rolled off too end. Neither he nor I liked it with his Evolution towers. Found it boring frankly. Best to see if you can audition stuff to see how it works with yourself and your room and your tastes.

Reactions: Mikem53 and Al M.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Reactions: Historia

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
I would also look at the SW1X Dac-II-Balanced. I came down to it and the May-KTE coming from the PS Audio DirectStream. I did order the May but only because of the broader selection of inputs if that matters. The SW1X to me is like the Lampizator on steroids... wow but SPDIF in only.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I am biased towards the Yggy. It has quite a back order btw. A friend had the Spring and an Yggy with a purpose built room. He sold the Spring. It had a rolled off too end. Neither he nor I liked it with his Evolution towers. Found it boring frankly. Best to see if you can audition stuff to see how it works with yourself and your room and your tastes.

One person's boring is another person's relaxing ;). Things indeed depend on personal taste. Yes, the Yggy is very exciting in its presentation of music, with lots of life, dynamics (both macro- and micro-) and rhythm. The amount of detail is just staggering, but it does not necessarily draw attention to itself, since it is presented in a natural, not hyped-up manner.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I would also look at the SW1X Dac-II-Balanced. I came down to it and the May-KTE coming from the PS Audio DirectStream. I did order the May but only because of the broader selection of inputs if that matters. The SW1X to me is like the Lampizator on steroids... wow but SPDIF in only.
Thanks! That’s a new one to me. I’ll check that out.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I'm assuming you meant KTE. The technical changes are listed on the Kitsune website of course, but I'm not aware of any listening comparison between the different versions (there aren't that many reviews of May DACs out there as it is). I went with KTE because at that point, I was in it for a penny, in it for $5k...

I came from a Yggy to a Spring KTE to the May KTE. The May compared to the Spring is much more neutral sounding and much more detailed. It's been too long since I've owned a Yggy so I can't give you direct comparisons there. You may have seen DAC comparisons on other sites where Yggy and Spring were comparable in performance.

You've probably already read the reviews of the Denafrips and the May in Stereophile.
Enginerd,
Yes the KTE. Your response makes me just want to pull the trigger on the KTE. I’ve read reviews on Yggy, Spring, and May. I saw Guttenberg’s review of the Denafrip—not yet sure of how much I trust his reviews. Herb Reichert, though, I trust, so I’m biased toward the May. I’ll have to look for Stereophile review on Denafrips.

What made you go from the Yggy to the Spring?
Thanks!

Last edited:

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Reactions: Historia

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
After looking at the Lampizator and SW1X, I decided that I really don’t want to deal with tubes on a DAC. I read the Denafrips Stereophile review, and decided to order the Holo May KTE. I’ll post my notes, but only have the modded Gustard to compare it to.

”In for a penny, in for $5,228” (shipping does seem a little steep!)

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

How long did it take to get your Holo May? The website claims it's in stock, but I've heard that the lead time can be several weeks.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
How long did it take to get your Holo May? The website claims it's in stock, but I've heard that the lead time can be several weeks.
Just heard from Tim Connor. Expected delivery is in about 7 weeks.

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
I made my decision and ordered 2 weeks ago. I'm expecting 5-7 wks. In researching it looks like they are made to order and the "in stock" means the parts are at hand to get started building. The web site says 5 wks. but I heard that they got behind during the Chinese new year and it's closer to 7 wks. at present but I'll let you know when I receive mine.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I made my decision and ordered 2 weeks ago. I'm expecting 5-7 wks. In researching it looks like they are made to order and the "in stock" means the parts are at hand to get started building. The web site says 5 wks. but I heard that they got behind during the Chinese new year and it's closer to 7 wks. at present but I'll let you know when I receive mine.
Tinear,
Congrats. Your post is almost what Tim wrote to me verbatim. Seems like we'll be on a similar path, with you having a 2 week headstart.

Best,
Evan

enginerd

Mar 11, 2021
San Francisco
Tinear,
Congrats. Your post is almost what Tim wrote to me verbatim. Seems like we'll be on a similar path, with you having a 2 week headstart.

Best,
Evan
"In Stock" just means they have the parts on hand. The units are pretty much built to order which is why it takes awhile even though it is "in stock."

We'll all be very interested in what your thoughts are once you receive it.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
"In Stock" just means they have the parts on hand. The units are pretty much built to order which is why it takes awhile even though it is "in stock."

We'll all be very interested in what your thoughts are once you receive it.
I decided to hold off on getting the Intona since there's no savings in shipping (the DAC ships from Hong Kong, the Intona products ship from WA). I figure I'll try the DAC stock for a few weeks, then try it with my ISO Regen. If I hear any benefit I'll pull the trigger on the Intona, as the consensus seems to be that the Intona sounds better than the Regen (although I'm skeptical about both with a well-designed DAC).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I decided to hold off on getting the Intona since there's no savings in shipping (the DAC ships from Hong Kong, the Intona products ship from WA). I figure I'll try the DAC stock for a few weeks, then try it with my ISO Regen. If I hear any benefit I'll pull the trigger on the Intona, as the consensus seems to be that the Intona sounds better than the Regen (although I'm skeptical about both with a well-designed DAC).
Well, so much for holding off. I should have my Intona and new Intona USB cables in a few days. My USB from the Aurender to the Gustard has gone from intermittent to not working. The coax and AES work fine between the Aurender and Gustard, so I'm thinking it's either a USB cable, or perhaps a flaky USB socket on either the Gustard or the Aurender.

Last edited:

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
I tested two models for over 3 months each other.

I recommend May DAC.

No comparison.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I tested two models for over 3 months each other.

I recommend May DAC.

No comparison.
Esotar,
Which version of the May did you test/buy?

Thanks,
Evan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing