Schiit Yggdrasil or Holo May (and if May, how much does ZTE version get you) or ??? in the $5k range?

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
@ACHiPo... Nice! Love those AtmaSphere mono's! I'm feeding my May from an Innuous Zen Mini w/LPS. Curiously, no matter what file format I stream to the May (via USB) the May displays 44.1k. I would have expected larger for MQA files. Thoughts?

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
@ACHiPo... Nice! Love those AtmaSphere mono's! I'm feeding my May from an Innuous Zen Mini w/LPS. Curiously, no matter what file format I stream to the May (via USB) the May displays 44.1k. I would have expected larger for MQA files. Thoughts?
My May does change resolution depending on the source file. I don't use MQA, so can't comment on that format. The volume (and resolution) definitely changes on DSD files--a bit annoying.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
The M60s feed a pair of Klipsch Reference 207/2s via Paul Speltz Zero Autoformers as speaker cables.
Do you mean KEFs? I couldn't find that model in klipsch when I did a quick search...

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Do you mean KEFs? I couldn't find that model in klipsch when I did a quick search...
D'oh! Yes, Kefs. No idea where Klipsch came from!

Reactions: cal3713

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
Sound update... Things are now smoothing out nicely. Very good balance bottom to top and the lower midrange is now smooth and in good alignment with the upper midrange. I'm streaming to it around the clock without my pre & amps on so will be easy to get another 200 hrs over the next few days. More to come with a full review at that time.

Reactions: ACHiPo

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Sound update... Things are now smoothing out nicely. Very good balance bottom to top and the lower midrange is now smooth and in good alignment with the upper midrange. I'm streaming to it around the clock without my pre & amps on so will be easy to get another 200 hrs over the next few days. More to come with a full review at that time.
I thought the "even handedness" of the May was really striking... one of its most impressive characteristics. Just perfect reproduction across the frequency spectrum without any added emphasis or dips.

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
Update... I now have about 250 streamed hours on the Holo May KTE and it now sounds smooth and marvelous. Ultra quiet noise floor, and that's saying something with my 110db horn speakers! The clarity and balance top to bottom is really quite good and top notch detailed resolution while sounding smooth. As you can tell I am very pleased with the May. Easy recommendation.

@ACHiPo or anyone... what does your May display when feeding it various file resolutions using NOS mode?

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
Well... figured out why the Holo May was always displaying 44,1K. The Ipeng I was using was down converting the MQA! I installed ROON and now the May is locking into the various resolutions perfectly... AND really sounds fantastic.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
@Tinear1 my May shows the frequency it is converting, e.g. 44.1K for Redbook, 176.4K for 24/176, DSD64X for DSD, etc.

And my May continues to sound better and better at about 250 hours.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Well... figured out why the Holo May was always displaying 44,1K. The Ipeng I was using was down converting the MQA! I installed ROON and now the May is locking into the various resolutions perfectly... AND really sounds fantastic.
Glad you figured it out! Have you tried upsampling at all? I haven't based on all the reviews saying not to bother.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Glad you figured it out! Have you tried upsampling at all? I haven't based on all the reviews saying not to bother.
Definitely a strong consensus regarding NOS vs OS on the May.

I did read some people recommending to send it over sampled audio, but not one suggesting you should let the May do it.

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
I have played a little with OS and for me in my particular system NOS just kills. My wife came into the den this evening and commented that "whatever that new box cost was worth it" which is shocking recognition for the May KTE. She is a music lover but is highly skeptical of most upgrades. She makes big fun of my cable obsession. I just couldn't be more happy with the May KTE!

Reactions: Historia and ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Ok, just shy of 300 hours and it continues to get smoother, more musical and engaging. I listened to my demo tracks again, first casually, then semi-critically. Casual listening I didn't hear much different--tonally is sounded good, with the occasional "jump" moment. In the sweet spot, the soundstage seemed to be bigger, and the instruments/voices more solid and rounder.

For the first time it definitely seems to be worth the expense and wait.

And they say it continues to improve.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
@Tinear1 how goes the DAC? I’m at over 600 hours and am quite happy. Any thoughts about using that Denali on the DAC?

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
@ACHiPo... The MAY KTE is ridiculously good and at about 200 hrs just completely broke out! Adding the Shunyata Denali really snapped my system into focus. Frankly I was quite skeptical and purchased the Denali to centralize and clean up my power wiring but wow, the background is crazy quiet now and top to bottom improvement with zero dynamic compression. This has been a really bizarre few weeks as I absolutely love these two pieces of equipment. Just ask my wife that never happens. "Oh is this box on the dining room table coming or going" she would say... The only problem I have is I'm out of cabinet space so had to stack my Innuos Zen Mini & LPSU on top of the MAY KTE and the stack gets very hot since I leave them on 24/7.

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
If anyone wants / needs a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w/Bridge-II I'm ready to send it to a new home. PM me.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Well, so much for holding off. I should have my Intona and new Intona USB cables in a few days. My USB from the Aurender to the Gustard has gone from intermittent to not working. The coax and AES work fine between the Aurender and Gustard, so I'm thinking it's either a USB cable, or perhaps a flaky USB socket on either the Gustard or the Aurender.
That Intona USB is the best USB I have heard. It bests my FTA. Which bested my Acoustic Revive.
I had a hard time distinguishing the Reference from the Ultimate. Either was very good.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
That Intona USB is the best USB I have heard. It bests my FTA. Which bested my Acoustic Revive.
I had a hard time distinguishing the Reference from the Ultimate. Either was very good.
I could not hear any difference between using the Intona USB isolator or not. But I know my DAC does not need the 5 volt from the server as it has its own dedicated PS. So the purpose of the isolator was negated.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I could not hear any difference between using the Intona USB isolator or not. But I know my DAC does not need the 5 volt from the server as it has its own dedicated PS. So the purpose of the isolator was negated.
I have not experimented with removing the Intona. A practical issue of the Intona USB not being long enough to reach the DAC without the Intona is a challenge. I have a couple other "high end" USBs I may try, but I'm liking the way it sounds, so I'm inclined to leave it in place. I do have an ISORegen that I could try, but at some point great is good enough.

After ~600 hours, the Holo Audio May KTE DAC is outstanding (with the Intona USB and cables). I have not listened much with my TWL BNC or DHLabs AES/EBU, but brief listening sessions with each input sounded comparable to the USB. The OS modes are definitely inferior.

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
Regarding USB cables I recently made the switch to CURIOUS CABLE and find it quite good and shockingly inexpensive. Just a thought.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing