schuko plug

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
As we know schuko plug are unpolarised plug (there is no distinction between live and neutral, you can plug in either way), will it be dangerous as we all know that live wire carries power to the component and neutral return current to the power station? There can be cases neutral wire of your HiFi component actually connects to the live wire of the power station.

Can someone from Europe enlighten me no this?

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
As we know schuko plug are unpolarised plug (there is no distinction between live and neutral, you can plug in either way), will it be dangerous as we all know that live wire carries power to the component and neutral return current to the power station? There can be cases neutral wire of your HiFi component actually connects to the live wire of the power station.

Can someone from Europe enlighten me no this?

No, because there is a 'distribution box' just like the circuit breaker panel you have in your home. This also 'unbalances' the three-phase power for domestic use. This is fed by a 'consumer unit' (in UK systems, I think it has a different name in other countries) which is basically a huge circuit breaker that you don't get to touch - because it's typically somewhere in the region of 100A.

In a UK domestic circuit, everything runs on ring circuits, so the individual plugs require fuses, and the distribution block has a master fuse that might have 20+ devices hanging off it. Schuko uses smaller spurs, so the distribution block has more master fuses, but doesn't require fused plugs because there are fewer devices off each spur.

The fuse in the plug on UK circuits is (at least notionally) there to prevent the power cord from burning (240V, 13A could do that in theory), the case fuse prevents the device from catching fire and the fuses in the distribution block prevent the wires in the walls and ceilings from melting.

There is a possibility of an isolating transformer losing one phase of the domestic supply and still being 110V-115V, but their use in domestic audio is extremely rare in Europe, and this would suggest a particularly unlucky set of circumstances that are about as likely as Elvis winning the lottery.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
There can be cases neutral wire of your HiFi component actually connects to the live wire of the power station.

Not as far as I know. All our gear is designed to cope with swapping live and neutral.
The present regulation in my country (The Netherlands) requires a live, a neutral and a earth wire.
The gear runs on live/neutral and any conductive part e.g. a metal chassis should be connected to the earth wire.
All houses are equipped with a "aardlekschakelaar"
It measures the difference between live and neutral.
If there is one (current in should be current out) it breaks the circuit.
A far more save manner than a fuse because before a fuse melts (today 24A) there must run a substantial current indeed.
A aardlekschakelaar reacts even when there is a small difference.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
All distribution boards in my house are equipped with a 30 mA residual-current device (RCD) ("aardlekschakelaar" ;) ). Relying on the neutral wire or plug pin to ground your equipment is dangerous and not allowed - if the neutral wire is broken by any reason all your equipment metal parts of a switched on apparatus became live!

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
All distribution boards in my house are equipped with a 30 mA residual-current device (RCD) ("aardlekschakelaar" ;) ). Relying on the neutral wire or plug pin to ground your equipment is dangerous and not allowed - if the neutral wire is broken by any reason all your equipment metal parts of a switched on apparatus became live!

I am not suggesting to ground the neutral to earth. As you know, for example, UK plug has an earth pin and it acts as reference whether the left or right pin under earth pin is live or neutral. For the German schuko, it does not have such earth pin. I read from Wiki, you can plug in either way without any violation.

Can all HiFi gears cope with swapping live and neutral?

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
A "aardlekschakelaar" or RCD or GFCI has one task while a fuse or circuit breaker as another.

A fuse or circuit breaker asks the question:
Is the circuit using more current than it's designed to handle?

A "aardlekschakelaar" or RCD or GFCI asks the question:
Is even a small amount of current leaking from the circuit (like through a human body)?

But if a human touches the Hot wire with one hand and the Neutral wire with the other hand, neither type of device will protect him.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing