SE40 Successful Rebuild

JJB

Sep 22, 2016
Due to an annoying hum, intermittent popping and difficult tube biasing, I was ready to sell my SE40 about two years ago. I never did sell due to other distractions, but now that I'm "back into it" I am delighted to report that after an overhaul directed by Jim Adams, my unit is sounding better than when it did new. Jim provided a complete shopping and source list for the required resistors, capacitors etc., along with detailed instructions.
I am not an electronics guy, and was hesitant to attempt the upgrades myself. Fortunately, I recently moved to Greensboro last year and stumbled upon Dale at DJL Vintage Audio. This guy rocks - he read all of Jim's instructions, took the parts I ordered and turned my unit around in less than a day!
I cannot say enough about both Jim and Dale, other than THANK-YOU! If any of you are even considering rebuilding your amps, do it. It cost less than $100 in parts, and about $300 for Dale's work.

ESR

Aug 13, 2020
Hi JJB, I was wondering if you would share the parts list and instructions for the upgrade on your SE-40. I have same problem as yours.

Thanks,
ESR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing