Secrets to buying concert tickets for your favorite performer or band...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all and good evening to you. With the "not so ear candy" sound that we have at our disposal for Adele, the wife and I were extremely interested in getting tickets for her upcoming tour. We had decided on three cities (in case one or more city was sold out or had nose bleed seating) and all of them were well out of town. By well out of town, I mean more than 5 hours away and up to 10 hours away. We figured that this would give us some flexibility to get the best seats we could find. With that decision made, at 10:00 on the dot she was online trying to purchase the tickets.

To not bore you on the details, 15 minutes later she was informed that the concert had sold out. We never even got a chance to look at a seat, let alone get a ticket. Now we see plenty of folks who could care less about the concert itself selling their tickets for anywhere between 5 times the price they paid to upwards of $14,000.00 for a package deal. LOTS of offers to sell the tickets, some within the time frame many people across America were still stuck in the "queue" awaiting the chance to purchase tickets. The tweets ranged from extreme anger to those thinking that the concert sales were an actual prank to the public...that they were not actually for sale at all. Some sources state that all of the concerts were sold out in 3 seconds. Not really buying that statement but the tour was basically sold out extremely quick.

This leaves the wife and I to put up with the "not so ear candy" sound we have from the albums. Bummer. :(

To not make this a long and boring post, I will just say that this and other issues present themselves when purchasing tickets to venues. Many times within a short time to an extremely short amount of time after the concert tickets go on sale, only the nosebleed sections are available. This gets frustrating after a while. I will just leave it at that.

My question is this - What are the real secrets to getting tickets, especially the preferred tickets to a concert?

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Madonna is coming here next February. We bought our tickets in September last year. Yup no typos. The real secret is to be part of a buying block. To do that you need to know the producers. Once you are in the system, you are notified even at the planning stages. In our case the "blocks" we are part of are basically our alumni associations which have on going ties with the different production outfits based on local productions of events like home comings, proms and such. Producers need to know early on how much they can sell, further it is also a way for them to get much needed capital. Another way is to know the sponsors of the event. Part of the sponsorship payments include tickets for the sponsors. If the band isn't that popular or do not jibe with the demographic of their industry associates they sometimes just give these away.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Tom. :(

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just hope she doesn't try too hard and hurt herself. LOL. Simon LeBon tried a jump spin and almost fell over the last time Duran Duran was here. The collective gasp of the audience was classic in hindsight! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing