Seeking SPU tonearm advice

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
I’ve been fascinated that the SPU (Stereo Pick-Up) cartridges, which was invented over 60yrs ago in 1958, still has loyal fans today. The SPU is reported to have a big, bold, exuberant and musically exciting character.

While researching, the best SPU cartridge may be the Ortofon SPU Century. I found one new at a greatly discounted price so I took the plunge.

Normally, it’s best to demo before purchasing. But because I’m going for sonic variety rather than improvement, the SPU’s sonic description and market longevity is enough for me to feel confident it’ll be a good experience. Besides, trying to track down a SPU demo in this Covid environment may be very difficult.

In addition, I’ll probably purchase a Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII to experience the “original” SPU sound.

Next I’ll have to get a SPU tonearm. The usual suspects are Thomas Schick, Groovemaster II, and Ikeda.
What’s the best SPU tonearm?

Does it make sense to upgrade tonearm cable? (I suspect that tonearm cables upgrades won’t yield enough sonic improvements for SPUs)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I would say, the "best" SPU tonearm is the Glanz MH 124, at least to my ears.

never tried the new version Glanz MH 1200.

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks @shakti

I just realized that SPUs sound reportedly better with a SUT. Unfortunately, I have a “current” phono stage VDH Grail SB. I do have a Lejonklou Slipsik 3 “voltage” phono stage lying around.

Not sure if a SUT+voltage stage is significantly better than just using my VDH Grail. Also not sure if Ortofon’s SUT is better than other SUTs for the SPU.

Last edited:

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
I would say, the "best" SPU tonearm is the Glanz MH 124, at least to my ears.

never tried the new version Glanz MH 1200.
I have one in my main listening room. It is very similar to the 124 but seems to have a touch more air.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Thanks @shakti

I just realized that SPUs sound reportedly better with a SUT. Unfortunately, I have a “current” phono stage VDH Grail SB. I do have a Lejonklou Slipsik 3 “voltage” phono stage lying around.

Not sure if a SUT+voltage stage is significantly better than just using my VDH Grail. Also not sure if Ortofon’s SUT is better than other SUTs for the SPU.
in my "vintage" chain I am using the new Thorens TD124dd turntable together with the Thorens / Ortofon SPU, using a vdh Grail SB Phonostage, which is working fine to my ears, very dynamic and lively.

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks @shakti - that’s comforting. I can explore the SUT option later.

Thanks @PaulB - good to know the newer model Glanz is likely an upgrade

The Glanz is priced above my current budget, so I’ll revisit updating to Glanz at a future date. I’m more comfortable around the $3k range. So the usual suspects in this range is Thomas Schick, Groovemaster II, Sorane TA-1L, and used Ikeda 407. IIRC the Groovemaster II is better than the Schick.
Any opinions on which is best amongst these?

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
I’ve been fascinated that the SPU (Stereo Pick-Up) cartridges, which was invented over 60yrs ago in 1958, still has loyal fans today. The SPU is reported to have a big, bold, exuberant and musically exciting character.

While researching, the best SPU cartridge may be the Ortofon SPU Century. I found one new at a greatly discounted price so I took the plunge.

Normally, it’s best to demo before purchasing. But because I’m going for sonic variety rather than improvement, the SPU’s sonic description and market longevity is enough for me to feel confident it’ll be a good experience. Besides, trying to track down a SPU demo in this Covid environment may be very difficult.

In addition, I’ll probably purchase a Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII to experience the “original” SPU sound.

Next I’ll have to get a SPU tonearm. The usual suspects are Thomas Schick, Groovemaster II, and Ikeda.
What’s the best SPU tonearm?

Does it make sense to upgrade tonearm cable? (I suspect that tonearm cables upgrades won’t yield enough sonic improvements for SPUs)

The Glanz is priced above my current budget, so I’ll revisit updating to Glanz at a future date. I’m more comfortable around the $3k range. So the usual suspects in this range is Thomas Schick, Groovemaster II, Sorane TA-1L, and used Ikeda 407. IIRC the Groovemaster II is better than the Schick.
Any opinions on which is best amon
Check out good used examples of Ortofon RMG-309i and RS-309D.

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
@djsina2
I just researched reviews on the ViV Rigid Float including @shakti 's review:
Not sure if suitable for an SPU but I may purchase anyway as I'm looking for high quality sonic variety and the ViV seems sonically unique. Thanks for the tip.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
@djsina2
I just researched reviews on the ViV Rigid Float including @shakti 's review:
Not sure if suitable for an SPU but I may purchase anyway as I'm looking for high quality sonic variety and the ViV seems sonically unique. Thanks for the tip.
I use it with an SPU and it’s great. I think once you hear the ViV you may question using a conventional arm.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK

Any opinions on which is best amongst these?
I use the Sculpture A SUT designed specifically for an SPU it has a 1:26 ratio and works perfectly with my SPU Classic GE. As for tonearms I use an FR64s which seems to work really well, at some point in the near future my friend is bringing his Bokrand 12" arm around to see if there is a major difference, if so I will be ordering a Bokran arm myself

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I use the Sculpture A SUT designed specifically for an SPU it has a 1:26 ratio and works perfectly with my SPU Classic GE. As for tonearms I use an FR64s which seems to work really well, at some point in the near future my friend is bringing his Bokrand 12" arm around to see if there is a major difference, if so I will be ordering a Bokran arm myself

I would like to know this too. The FR is great for SPUs, and keep the SPU instead of the Koetsu. Btw when you visit London I can arrange for the compare of various Koetsus and SPUs and Decca on the FR 66s, they are all fitted on identical headshells so easy to swap.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
I would like to know this too. The FR is great for SPUs, and keep the SPU instead of the Koetsu. Btw when you visit London I can arrange for the compare of various Koetsus and SPUs and Decca on the FR 66s, they are all fitted on identical headshells so easy to swap.
Ok mate, I will definitely get down to London to do the compare with you, I will also let you know how we get on with the Brokrand vs FR64s compare

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks all. I’ve decided to start with the modern Groovemaster II because older tonearms may have issues and inconsistencies and I can easily sell if I decide to upgrade later.

I like the idea of brand matching an Ortofon arm with an Ortofon SPU. So if someday I give in to the itch I may get the RMG309i possibly modified by Bokrand.

Also, if later I decide to upgrade sonic performance, I may get a Glanz.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

tom539

Dec 28, 2021
@KPC
I use a FR64s for my GME MKII, but the Sorane TA-1 (did not hear the L-Version in my setup) works also quit well. But the FR64s is in my opinion the „better“ arm for the SPU.

A good hifi-friend use the Groovemaster in 12‘‘ for the GME MKII on a Feickert Firebird - also a verry good combination.

If you are looking for an SUT: go for the T-550 from Phasemation (or even the T-1000) with XLR-input (far better then the RCA).

atb, Tom

McDee275

Nov 4, 2021
Germany
@KPC

I used a Schick 9.6 together with a SPU '1-E for a long time but changed to a GrooveMaster III, using SPU A cartridges now.

20220513_090628 kl (3).jpg

20220513_090458 kl (3).jpg

20220513_090512 kl (3).jpg
I prefer the GrooceMaster to the Schick in sound quality and solidity of its construction. Also magnetic antisketing is involved and the counterweight is easier to handle if it comes to fine adjustment. But please take into consideration the GrooveMaster cost at the end without phono cables 500€ more as the Schick.

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
As for tonearms I use an FR64s which seems to work really well, at some point in the near future my friend is bringing his Bokrand 12" arm around to see if there is a major difference, if so I will be ordering a Bokran arm myself
Yeah, FR-64s was always a good match to my SPU Gold (the 80s limited one) , SPU Royal Reference, SPU Meister and Meister Silver. I´ve also paired these SPUs with the Schick 12", Schick 9,6", Ortofon RMG-212i and RMG-309, what I always preferred over a SME 3012

IMG_0615 (Groß).JPG

westlower

May 29, 2019

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing