self-isolating......another way to define an audiophile.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
please send me to my room, make me go home.......14 day quarantine......bring it on.

i'm not trying to make light of a terrible human problem going on right now, but as i ponder what everyone seems to be afraid of........it sounds just fine to me. i like my barn and just hanging out. i've created an environment that fits that situation to a 'T'. with the internet i never feel 'alone', and of course, my wife is around and i'm in the house plenty......but i never tire of my barn/music time.

i guess at this point in life even compared to other serious audiophiles i'm more of a social hermit than the norm. i no longer look forward to crowds or lines, and when i attend most 'events' i can't wait to get home. my wife and i mostly 'eat-in' and love it. social distancing?......i can relate.

maybe it's the chaos of my hectic job and the years of retail intensity.....but my current world view is that self-isolating seems like the right thing for me.

i do hope others that are forced or feel the need to self isolate due to COVID-19 can find the joy of it too.

my definition of self-isolating does not include isolation from friends and family, and that part......i want no part of. but if i was in a situation where i needed to completely isolate temporarily for everyone's sake i would certainly do it.

i spend 10 hours a day dealing with all the business related COVID-19 crap, all my sports are trashed, i come home and my wife has Fox News on 100% about the virus, and all the damn hifi forums are full of it.

i need a break.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
+1
I self-isolate from 10pm to 2 am every day. Works well for me. Now, I'll just have to expand my hours!

Reactions: ack

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Nothing new here. My wife says I've been self-isolating since I got my new gear last summer.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Just the excuse audiophiles have been waiting for: "I'll just have to hunker down full time in the man cave for the common good."

Reactions: infinitely baffled

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I saw this great tweet today that said (I paraphrase) that it too Covid-19 to prove to managers that most jobs can be done from home these days.

Reactions: djsina2 and wil

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, you must REALLY love streaming at this point. No need to pop down to Tower Records. That's SO 1980s and non-Covid, lol.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, you must REALLY love streaming at this point. No need to pop down to Tower Records. That's SO 1980s and non-Covid, lol.

no doubt that Tidal and Qobuz do scratch the itch for new music to a large degree. but i will ALWAYS miss my Saturday afternoon Tower Record weekly stop on the way home from work. that was in my library building days and the process/therapy of looking, buying, opening, and listening was a joy. reading the jackets and backs of Lp's and CD's was educational. Roon is remarkable in filling that void and i do appreciate that......but it's not quite Tower. with hirez digital streaming, the musical performance does now surpass the CD's i bought from Tower for the most part.

of course Tower Records was a singular affair too, not any sort of social thing.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, my bigger point is that self isolation would mean no cds or lps, if Corona had struck in the 80s. And so streaming is a Godsend right now.

No need to convince me of the good old days of visiting record stores. But Corona/self isolation/record store on yr tablet is some kind of match. Maybe not made in heaven.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
i will go bonkers with cabin fever when it happens to me !!
There's an Eli Roth-penned film right up your alley, called Cabin Fever. Strangely enough.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Only when you absolutely, totally, unequivocally, cannot leave the house. Only then...Lol.

Reactions: Bobvin

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
First my Pop falls ill and is hospitalized. Then I decide to go short in January. Now that I have some bucks to get my HT and sound system finished....this freakin virus...who the hell has time to listen....though I do love it so. I want everything back to normal....fat chance on that. So come hell or high water, I will be back in my cave where I can sip a Burgundy and melt away. I hear ya Mike !

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I was at work until March 10. Then almost ermetically closed at home and also my girlfriend doesn't want to be too close to me... She moved to her separate apartment in the same floor... :rolleyes:
Turin is similar to a Ghost town now. Situation is currently very sad neverthless not critical yet as in other area of Italy.
Music is a great support in these days...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I was at work until March 10. Then almost ermetically closed at home and also my girlfriend doesn't want to be too close to me... She moved to her separate apartment in the same floor... :rolleyes:
Turin is similar to a Ghost town now. Situation is currently very sad neverthless not critical yet as in other area of Italy.
Music is a great support in these days...
There is a proper genre of couples called the LATs.
Living Apart Together.
Couples who choose (not because of viruses, just because) to maintain seperate residences, effectively making dates, one or the other to pop over. And going back home at the end of the evening. Or maybe...the next morning.

Shocking! Lol.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As an only child who grew up engaged in solo hobbies (amateur radio, Heathkits, photography, plastic models, Estes rockets) I would be very happy to just stay in the house (if it ever is finished) with Tinka and Lola. Listening room, home theater room, small gym room, tool desk in the garage, deck, small pool/hot tub, fire pit, palm trees, view . . . no reason to leave.

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
There is a proper genre of couples called the LATs.
Living Apart Together.
Couples who choose (not because of viruses, just because) to maintain seperate residences, effectively making dates, one or the other to pop over. And going back home at the end of the evening. Or maybe...the next morning.

Shocking! Lol.

And, speaking from personal experience, very difficult to shop for.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Aha, I've got as close to it as you can realistically get. Now, to make it work in the same house, you need that house to be big enough, to have a totally seperate dedicated audio room, enough divergent interests, and critically, the perfect balance of both partners loving their own company (no sentimentality allowed at all) and healthy humour-based derision for each other.

You've gotta like the other person but also take the pi$$ out of them. Otherwise this system crumbles at the first sign of stress.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing