Selling gear and Karma

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
About a year ago, I sold off a pair of speakers I had laying around, unused and unwanted. I listed them and received a note from a very enthusiastic buyer who has been searching for these particular speakers. He said he didn’t have the funds yet but would have it soon and would I hold it for him. So I said OK, what’s a few more weeks, and the buyer says he would drive down and pick them up, I hate shipping speakers. So the day arrives finally and he drives 10+ hours and arrives. He hands me the money in like 6 different envelopes then says he’s $300 short where’s a bank, 5:30 PM, Can’t use ATM.
Feeling sorry the guys long journey and glad I wouldn’t have to box and ship, I said fine. I helped him load them in his car, back seat on the floor and seat, barely fit. No room for boxes but he asks me to hold them and he will arrange for them to be sent. I wave goodbye to speakers and most likely, my $300.
As they say, No good deed goes unpunished. I call a few weeks later and politely ask for my money. Says he will mail it first thing tomorrow. A few days later I get a postal money order for half the amount, lol. A few weeks later I kindly remind him again. Now it’s more irritating than anything else. It’s not a lot of money, but it’s the series of pettiness and amount of time that rattled my cage. I get another money order a week later and it’s $30 short.. I LOL and smile that it’s over..
I made good use of the speaker boxes, filling them with clothes and household goods for goodwill.
I had the last word when I received an email months later asking for the boxes as he now needed them. I had the pleasure of telling him too Bad, they’re gone! Best $30 I ever spent.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Interesting story. Puzzling how people have a hard time reconciling the commitments they make. Probably the single reason I have never sold anything privately. I have traded in gear in the purchase of new gear from a dealer but like most of us I have many nice components and cables on the shelf unused.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Interesting story. Puzzling how people have a hard time reconciling the commitments they make. Probably the single reason I have never sold anything privately. I have traded in gear in the purchase of new gear from a dealer but like most of us I have many nice components and cables on the shelf unused.
Last week I listed and sold my amplifier. The gentlemen I sold it to drove 90 minutes to pick it up. I had it boxed up but open. I asked if he would like to inspect it and I would hook it up if he wanted. He was content with just taking it as is. He paid me in full and went Out of his way to save the extra transaction fee For me. He then contacted me a week later to tell me the amp is wonderful sounding and he was thrilled with it.
Most transactions have been a positive experience over the years and I’ve met some very nice people along the way...

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Have sold plenty of things over the years and for the most part all have been great. I have had people ask me to hold onto gear for them until they get the funds. I usually just tell them to contact me when they have the money. Or they can give me a non refundable deposit to hold the gear.

Reactions: Mikem53

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Funny, that's not the direction i thought the story was heading. I assumed it was related to good karma associated with nurturing someone else's musical soul even when they were going through hard times.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Funny, that's not the direction i thought the story was heading. I assumed it was related to good karma associated with nurturing someone else's musical soul even when they were going through hard times.
I thought I did that by giving him the speakers with his promise to send me the money remaining when he was able to get to the bank, his words. Who drives the distance and comes without the agreed upon price ?
I didn’t send him on his way without or make him stay over until he had the money. I also held it for him on his word, without any payment. when he didn’t respond, was I supposed to store the boxes too for many more Months ? He musical Soul was doing just fine, until he needed something..

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I thought I did that by giving him the speakers with his promise to send me the money remaining when he was able to get to the bank, his words. Who drives the distance and comes without the agreed upon price ?
I didn’t send him on his way without or make him stay over until he had the money. I also held it for him on his word, without any payment. when he didn’t respond, was I supposed to store the boxes too for many more Months ? He musical Soul was doing just fine, until he needed something..
Oh don't get me wrong, I totally understand your perspective and I'd be pretty peeved myself! I should have said "based on the title of the thread that wasn't the direction I thought the story was heading." You clearly bent over backwards for the guy. I realize I was a bit unclear in the first post...sorry. Clearly this guy had no business buying your gear seeing how he had to cobble the finances together in the manner he did.

Reactions: Mikem53

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Oh don't get me wrong, I totally understand your perspective and I'd be pretty peeved myself! I should have said "based on the title of the thread that wasn't the direction I thought the story was heading." You clearly bent over backwards for the guy. I realize I was a bit unclear in the first post...sorry. Clearly this guy had no business buying your gear seeing how he had to cobble the finances together in the manner he did.
I also gave him an additional break because he saved me the shipping hassles ..so I felt a bit slighted.
but thanks for responding. He was over his head I believe. The reason I brought this up was because I saw them up for sale when browsing Agon recently..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing