Selma

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Just returned from seeing Selma. As far as I am concerned this movie should be included in any discussion of top films for 2014. A fine acting job by David Oyelowo as MLK.

The film covers a small period where King is trying to get LBJ to get a voting rights act to congress. Like Vietnam where film footage shown on the evening news started turning the country against the war, television coverage of Montgomery and Selma generated a great deal of empathy for King's actions.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw the film and loved it. I agree about your summary Jim esp regarding David Oyelowo who was superb.

I enjoy historical films and this was one of them. I can recall watching Walter Cronkite each night on the news with film coverage of the civil rights movement in the early and mid 60's.

The only part of the film that didn't sit right with me or at least wondered why it was included in the story was an exchange between MLK and his wife Coretta who asked him if he "loved her and if he loves the others as he loves her", for which he replied "no"

This seemed to cause a separation between the two but it was so trivial to the story that I wondered not only about its purpose but so also why Oprah allowed it to be included

4.5 /5 and definitely worth seeing

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The only part of the film that didn't sit right with me or at least wondered why it was included in the story was an exchange between MLK and his wife Coretta who asked him if he "loved her and if he loves the others as he loves her", for which he replied "no"

This seemed to cause a separation between the two but it was so trivial to the story that I wondered not only about its purpose but so also why Oprah allowed it to be included

4.5 /5 and definitely worth seeing

I think they included that exchange to show that like most people King was not perfect and that his wife knew he was sleeping around.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing