Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66/Herb Alpert....which version to go for?

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I heard this Friday at the Genesis Dragon sendoff at Gary and Carol Koh's place. I was totally smitten and suprised cause I'm not a typical listener to that style of jazz(?) But I couldn't help but love what I heard.

So, which version to go for? An orig. mono, stereo or the Speakers Corner reissue?

Thanks to Gary, another Lp I have to have!!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
IMHO the one to have is the Festival Australian (SAML-932,095) pressing - that's the one you heard on Friday. It's the most dynamic, and although on thin vinyl, sound is incredible. The SP-4116 and the SLH-84 are both highly compressed. The UK pressing and MFSL are supposed to be good, but I haven't done a direct comparison.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Hi Gary,
Thanks again for the invite. I found a mono A&M copy on Sat. and gave it a good cleaning. I couldn't wait. There's a used Speakers Corner reissue I'm considering.
Hey, I'm also looking for that Al Grey Lp as well!! That one, in stereo, will be a chore to locate. I ordered a few extra's of the Lucy Ann Polk I mentioned. One will have your name on it.

DexterMiller

Jan 20, 2019
New Jersey (U.S.)
The 7 1/2ips, commercial release, "OR-4116" reel to reel A&M reissued between 1968-1971 (there was an original issue at 3 3/4ips made by Ampex when the album came out in August, 1966 but the dubbing is awful).

A&M's tapes were among the best in the trade during that era (the reason they had such a well-documented legal battle against pirates copying them at the time;)!) and, were taken from sources far more direct than the LP/RIAA cutting master. The A&M vinyl, however, with the best reputation (from then) is: the West Coast copies pressed by Monarch. These are identifiable by way of; having a glossy, light gold label and smaller print (vs. more common A&M pressings from Columbia's Pittman, NJ factory with a dull/ochre-color label and large print).

Reactions: garylkoh

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
One of my favorites
For digital.....
3573ECB5-DBCB-4E43-B08D-2276FE468A3E.png

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You might also like:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The A&M vinyl, however, with the best reputation (from then) is: the West Coast copies pressed by Monarch. These are identifiable by way of; having a glossy, light gold label and smaller print (vs. more common A&M pressings from Columbia's Pittman, NJ factory with a dull/ochre-color label and large print).

Thank you! That's good to know.

John Dyson

Jul 2, 2018
I have a copy of both albums -- but JUST SO HAPPENS, they have DolbyA encoding left on them.. I only have some metadata online, but it is a 1991 release. After DolbyA decoding -- they are wonderful. I wouldn't reccomend them without a decoder. If there is any request, I'lll see about putting a few 30-60 second snippets on Dropbox.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing