Server vs laptop

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
For those of you who switched from a laptop connected to an external DAC to a dedicated music server, did you hear any audible improvements? I’m considering an Aurender N150, but it’s $3200, then I’d need an internal hard drive for file storage (a 4TB SSD is about $320), then I’d need a router extender since the Aurender is not wireless, so another $150 or so. Altogether that’s a chunk of change, and I’d hope for some level of improvement. I'm currently using a Macbook Pro into a Chord Qutest DAC. (If you have suggestions for a different server, it has to have a large internal drive or allows a user-installed HD, and it needs to play up to DSD 256.)

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Look at Small Green Computer. Linux based and you can get it with Roon and HQ Player. 2 TB, 4TB and 8TB available.
Ethernet, USB or Optical output. I think you will spend less than $3200.
I have used SGB SonicTransporter for 4 years, it has been problem free. They are plug and play with add ons that will give up DSD to 512 if interested. Controlled with an iPad or other device.
The improvement over a Dell laptop I ordered with nothing but what I needed to use it as a server was a huge improvement in sound quality.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I'll look into it--thanks!

Last edited:

Leekg

Jan 17, 2022
Visalia, CA
Since you're ticking off dollar amounts in your query I thought I'd offer this from the "What's Best for the Least" sub-forum.

After years of running JRiver on a Windows cheapo into a PS Audio PWD I was ready for a move to a dedicated server. Unwilling to spend that much I added a Sablon USB cable along with a USB Regen and connecting Curious cable for around $800 used.

Would a server be better? No doubt, but these additions took me up a bunch of notches.

Maybe sticking something like my set-up in between your Mac and DAC would be a nice step up.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
@Bachtoven my advice is to listen to the server in your system to see what the difference is. I'm of the belief everything sounds different but to what extent.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
What SSD would you buy?

An unpopular view this may be. There are too many empty boxes (literal description) and too little improvement in the server $$$ range you mentioned.

I think you might find a 3.5" 6TB WD RED Shingle Magnetic HDD a good place to start. :)

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
At this point, I'm leaning toward leaving well enough alone! I don't hear any electronic noise, and that seems to be a major benefit of a server.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
At this point, I'm leaning toward leaving well enough alone! I don't hear any electronic noise, and that seems to be a major benefit of a server.

How do you know that you don't have any electronic noise? You won't hear it as "noise", and you may only know what it was when it's gone.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
At the least I'd explore a home demo of something. Even if it was a bit outside your feasible interest level to spend.

Everything has a sound. You appear ready to move on from a laptop.

Reactions: Pokey77 and Al M.

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
I’m trying to figure out what is the current setup for OP. Why would a new server need 4TB if you’re currently playing off a MacBook Pro? Is the MacBook Pro running off batteries when playing music to the Qutest? Is the MacBook Pro connected to an external HDD/SSD when playing music? What software is being used to play the music. How many DSD256 files do you actually have? Are there user interface issues that makes you want to switch? Or is this purely to see if you can get better sound quality out of the Qutest?

To me, every DAC is different and have different sensitivity to jitter and electrical noise (direct and ground loop). I think that’s why server+DAC synergy is important and we see different people rave about different servers with their favorite DAC. My take is that because Chord DACs are particularly jitter immune, the best/reference sound for them is to feed them Toslink signals. Then there is no chance of any electrical noise getting into the DAC. So adding a cheap USB to Toslink converter from Amazon might actually upgrade the sound better than an Aurender can in this specific case. The downside is that the USB to Toslink converter is usually limited to 192kHz/24-bit and DSD64 but sometimes they can work with DSD128/256. But your software can convert the DSD256 to 176kHz/24-bit or DSD128/64 and I doubt the sound will be worse.

Reactions: Leekg

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Small Green Computer has a 30 day no questions return policy. Hard to beat a potential free in home trial. Nothing to lose but some shipping.
They are also having a 4th weekend sale with discounts of SSD HD.

I have no connection to them other than being a happy customer.

Reactions: bryans

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
There is no comparison of a laptop and server. There is so much noise and jitter in a laptop, you loose all the music.

Remember, its all part of a system. The rest of your system may not be able to resolve the improvement. You should consider your end game. Do you have an idea how you want your setup to play.

Are you critically listening to jazz and classical and you go to live shows and play an instrument. If so, your going to prefer a type of stereo. If you never hear live performances and play rock and pop, their is a different way to approach playback. You might not need the added resolution and focus towards musical purity.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I’m trying to figure out what is the current setup for OP. Why would a new server need 4TB if you’re currently playing off a MacBook Pro? Is the MacBook Pro running off batteries when playing music to the Qutest? Is the MacBook Pro connected to an external HDD/SSD when playing music? What software is being used to play the music. How many DSD256 files do you actually have? Are there user interface issues that makes you want to switch? Or is this purely to see if you can get better sound quality out of the Qutest?

To me, every DAC is different and have different sensitivity to jitter and electrical noise (direct and ground loop). I think that’s why server+DAC synergy is important and we see different people rave about different servers with their favorite DAC. My take is that because Chord DACs are particularly jitter immune, the best/reference sound for them is to feed them Toslink signals. Then there is no chance of any electrical noise getting into the DAC. So adding a cheap USB to Toslink converter from Amazon might actually upgrade the sound better than an Aurender can in this specific case. The downside is that the USB to Toslink converter is usually limited to 192kHz/24-bit and DSD64 but sometimes they can work with DSD128/256. But your software can convert the DSD256 to 176kHz/24-bit or DSD128/64 and I doubt the sound will be worse.
1) I don't want to worry about running out of storage space.
2) No, I use the power supply and the Macbook's internal drive.
3) Audirvana
4) 5 or 6 DSD256 and maybe 10 DSD64/128 recordings.
5) Just to hear if I can get even better sound.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
There is no comparison of a laptop and server. There is so much noise and jitter in a laptop, you loose all the music.

Remember, its all part of a system. The rest of your system may not be able to resolve the improvement. You should consider your end game. Do you have an idea how you want your setup to play.

Are you critically listening to jazz and classical and you go to live shows and play an instrument. If so, your going to prefer a type of stereo. If you never hear live performances and play rock and pop, their is a different way to approach playback. You might not need the added resolution and focus towards musical purity.
1) My system is perfectly capable of resolving tiny improvements/changes.
2) Mostly classical and a little jazz. Pre-COVID I attended 20-30 live concerts a year. From 1978-1990 I was a professional audio engineer who recorded 50 or so live concerts for broadcast on NPR (analog gear until the last year), and I had my own location recording business. I play classical guitar and piano, so with all of my live experiences with music, I am intimately familiar with what unamplified acoustic instruments sound like.

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
1) I don't want to worry about running out of storage space.
2) No, I use the power supply and the Macbook's internal drive.
3) Audirvana
4) 5 or 6 DSD256 and maybe 10 DSD64/128 recordings.
5) Just to hear if I can get even better sound.
Perfect. So here’s a way to see if you might get better sound.
Try playing music by unplugging the charging brick/power supply from the MacBook. Because Qutest has very decent galvanic isolation, for most modern Mac, playing from the MacBook using battery via USB should sound identical to Toslink.
If you don’t hear a difference playing off your MacBook with vs without the power supply plugged in, chances are, upgrading your laptop to a server (or changing to Toslink) is not going to improve the Qutest sound. But if you hear a difference when your laptop if not plugged into the power supply, then you should try a cheap Amazon USB to Toslink converter so that you can keep the laptop plugged in and you can prevent ground loop leakage noise from the laptop power supply going into the Qutest.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
No one here is attempting to Insult you or your system
aside of digital do you or had analog ?
To hear analog gives a window into digital and it’s limitations
dsd is ok not better per say
pcm is best to trial better sound on.
Before jumping to a server might try a type of re clocker. ideon makes a Simple usb one. Get the black Starr one
it’s a small silver or back box
use it wit it’s wall wort
this will give you a leap over laptop alone
use normal usb cables not exotic ones don’t exceed 5 feet snd don’t use one less then 1 foot and better to be 2 feet or 1 1/2 feet
buy a used one first but get the one that says black Starr

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing