SFAF Presents an Afternoon with Gordon Burwell. Burwell & Sons Altec Tribute Horn Speakers.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Got to hear the Burwell & Son Burwell_pic3_2029247422-1.jpg horn speakers called “Hot Cotati”, three ways with subwooferX2 enhancements at the home (and factory) of the Burwell clan.

This was a programmed event by the SFAF(San Francisco Audio Foundation) formerly SFAS (San Francisco Audiophile Society) with a group of audiophiles showing up.

Most of the Burwell line are tribute speakers using original Altec drivers in very beautiful craftsman wood cabinets and horn mouths. Amplification was PS Audio solid state, which wound up sounding much better than expected. My inculcated prejudice still insists the natural company for horns is toobz. I would imagine toobz would be the Ritz on the Cotatis, but did not have the experience to verify.

The two Gordons, father and son, like to emphasize that they are not audiophiles, which I take to mean they are not the fussy, anal retentive, tweaky, pin drop freakout, OC disorder autists that we have come to know and love as our fellow travelers. They are music lovers who hearken back to those precious moments in memory when we heard that fantastic music played in fantastic concerts that will never exist again, except through speakers like these through treasured media. They like to make rocker and music-lover speakers with character, not lab products.

Of course, the session did have a precious audiophile moment when three of the SFAF buddies dropped from their respective chairs, got on their knees with their gathered gray heads bobbing around over the carpet like Macbeth’s witches, because they decided that this was the sweet spot rather than any of the seated positions. I shoulda took a picture. Priceless.

Elder Gordon gave us quite the entertaining personal history of his arc as a music lover and devotional speaker maker, in that order. It absolutely amazes me that they conduct this level of production values and craftsmanship out of a garage and a small home, stacked with Altec and other components all over. I can barely sand wood, and they lovingly manufacture these art and sound objects apparently at a pretty good pace.

In spite of origins, tribute devotion to classic Altec components, and the owners love for concert level blasts of Earth, Wind and Fire, Blood Sweat and Tears etc. and their ilk, the speakers perform extremely well across all genres, including metal, various forms of rock, synth, classical, girl with guitar, boy with electric guitar etc. as well as a few of the ‘old fart dispersers’ played by younger attendees. They are not genre specific speakers. They perform with authority, detail, imaging etc along with blistering volume and dynamic transients when called upon. I was able to listen to a decent sampling of my own stuff and it was all excellent. I think they are great choices for classical music. The spread and delicacy amongst instruments is there, along with very fast and resoundingly impressive tutti performance when the orchestra swells. They jiggled my fat cells to some interesting resonant frequencies and I think I lost a pound listening to them.

I personally like hearing them further back beyond 12 feet, where the drivers blended perfectly, rather than in the fore field where perhaps the crawling on the carpet was necessary for the ‘sweet spot’. If I wanted to be blue meany, I suppose you could say they need volume and space to breath and won’t be the choice for apartment dwellers, and there is a distinct threshold of volume where they come alive.

Anyway, what I heard was top notch, and it was nice hearing them in a more extended hearing rather than the usual quirky show conditions. If your check book can stand the achey, breaker hole in the wallet, I doubt they will leave you crying in your beer. Check them out when you have a chance.

Last edited:

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
When I first heard about Burwell & Son a couple years ago, I thought they might really be on to something, and so I was pleased to see they had a demo room at the Capital Audio Fest. Unfortunately the sound in that room was truly dreadful; the treble was so shrill and edgy that it was literally painful to be in the room. To my surprise there were people in the room who seemed to be enjoying the sound but I got out of there as fast as I could. I went by the room a couple times after that to see if things got better but they didn’t. Of course, poor sound at a hifi show does not necessarily mean anything; perhaps the speakers can sound better in a larger room, but what struck me was that no one else in the room including the Burwell folks seemed upset with the sound. I would have voted it Worst in Show.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Different audiophiles are tuned to different kinds of sounds. My faves at shows are often panned by other listeners. I once went to an all Shindo presentation, turntable through speakers, which I liked, but some in my group did not. My home system are planars by contrast.

With horns, I can't abide the cupped ear resonance, and I don't like it at all when the central image has a different volume and character than the two side images.

The Burwell Cotatis in this context didn't suffer from these. They didn't sound particularly 'hot' in the treble either to my ear, but they are old ears. The younger audience members did not seem disturbed when they were cranked. The frequency spread seemed appropriate, though the volume could get excessive and I would use the ear plugs for about a third of the other guys playing their stuff.

Those Altec drivers are quite rugged and robust. I have also liked the Burwell presentations at shows, along with the Voltis, though the Burwell rooms were pretty crowded and hard to evaluate when I was there.

I can only say that I like them and that they do many of the things that audiophile speakers seem intended to do, with the pluses of the horn dynamics.

Horns seem the most variable in presentation and opinions. I would say two out of three horn presentations at shows I didn't like, and some very expensive setups, even with vinyl, tubes and tape, left me cold, but when horns work, they really work well.

Horn presentations that I have liked at shows have been the occasional JVC, Voltis (consistenly), the big Sadurni horns, and some but not all of the Acapellas. I also really liked the Destination Audio horns at CAS a few years ago.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you for your review. I like the aesthetic and vibe of this company. Never heard them unfortunately.

I would agree that the natural partner must surely be “toobz” - those drivers were made for them so just makes sense. Why someone would want to use solid state is utterly beyond me unless it was merely a choice of convenience.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I don't know where PS Audio amps rank in the audiophile snob-o-sphere, but they performed well in this context. I would have been curious to hear my Pass inspired Defisit amp with Tokin Vfet/Sit and and DHT driver.

The vinyl setup was OK, but needed a lot more isolation and had some reverb action going on from the horns. This resulted in the hi def digital presentations being the better alternative.

Perusing the blog ethers, there does seem to be some pressure from audiophiles to get horn speakers that can work with particular solid state amps. Maybe the point here was that once you invest in the speakers, you can get great performance from relatively modest auxiliaries. I still would like to have heard them with the 'toobz', which in this case were Cary 845 mono amps with 300b drivers.

Elder Gordon did mention he made a pair of speakers for one of the Peninsula tech billionaire boys. However, I wouldn't count on one of them being real audiophiles as opposed to collectors of baubles where cost is no object.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I don't know where PS Audio amps rank in the audiophile snob-o-sphere, but they performed well in this context. I would have been curious to hear my Pass inspired Defisit amp with Tokin Vfet/Sit and and DHT driver.

The vinyl setup was OK, but needed a lot more isolation and had some reverb action going on from the horns. This resulted in the hi def digital presentations being the better alternative.

Perusing the blog ethers, there does seem to be some pressure from audiophiles to get horn speakers that can work with particular solid state amps. Maybe the point here was that once you invest in the speakers, you can get great performance from relatively modest auxiliaries. I still would like to have heard them with the 'toobz', which in this case were Cary 845 mono amps with 300b drivers.

Elder Gordon did mention he made a pair of speakers for one of the Peninsula tech billionaire boys. However, I wouldn't count on one of them being real audiophiles as opposed to collectors of baubles where cost is no object.

I don’t think PS Audio buys you much cred in the snobosphere….

Yes some low power fully class A ss amps like Pass SIT might be better than class AB type ss.

I am very surprised that there is pressure from audiophiles to want for horns that work with ss. The r’aison d’etre of many horns is their ability to be driven with tube amps. I am biased as I can’t see why one would want that - perhaps prior poor experience with noisy tube amps, coloured syrupy tube amps, poor reliability and/or lack of desire to buy new tubes periodically to maintain.

Reactions: cjfrbw

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I am also biased along those lines, but it was nice to have my presumptuous pretenses quelled a bit by the SS amps.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
Yes some low power fully class A ss amps like Pass SIT might be better than class AB type ss.

I am very surprised that there is pressure from audiophiles to want for horns that work with ss.
The midrange and tweeter horns of my system are powered by First Watt F3 single ended, single gain stage, class A stereo power amps with JFET output transistors. They work remarkably well with the horns. These SS amps replaced Cary Audio 2a3 SETs on those horns. They wrought a real improvement in the SQ.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
The midrange and tweeter horns of my system are powered by First Watt F3 single ended, single gain stage, class A stereo power amps with JFET output transistors. They work remarkably well with the horns. These SS amps replaced Cary Audio 2a3 SETs on those horns. They wrought a real improvement in the SQ.
I also use First Watt F3, but on the bass of my Altecs. Sounds great

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing