Shun Mook MC Reference Cartridge

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
After having tried a lot of different Cartridges, still an experience with ZYX carts is missing.

On the other hand I am always fascinated about the effect of Shun Mook products.

With Shun Mook my love to old Ebony wood as High End Accessory started and you will find on many positions of my listening room and gear some ebony wood.

You can imagine, that I was fascinated, as became aware, that Shun Mook has built their own cartridge around the ZYX R1000 base.

The technical data are looking very similar to the R1000:

Shun Mook Reference MC cartridge (recommended retail EU 7400,- eur)

Type: Moving Coil (Dynamic) “REAL STEREO” Generator System
Cryogenic Treatment Temperature: -196 ? (-320°F)
Output Voltage: 0.48mV (3.54cm/sec, 1kHz)
Frequency Response: 10 Hz – 100 kHz ±1dB: 20 Hz – 20 kHz
Channel Separation: ?30dB ?1kHz?
Channel Balance: ?0.5dB ?1kHz?
Recommended Tracking Force: 2.0g
Tracking Force Range: 1.7g – 3.0g
EQ Compliance horizontal: 15×10-6cm/dyne
vertical: 12×10-6cm/dyne
Internal Impedance: 8.0 ?
Load Impedance: ?100?
Cantilever Material: Boron solid ? 0.30mm
Stylus: Micro-Ridge Solid Diamond 0.07mm
Contact Radius / Life Time: 3?m×60?m, 2000Hour/2.0g
Output Terminals: ?1.25mm gold plated
Net Weight: 8.5g

Reading the technical description, the Shun Mook MC Reference Cartridge seem to be the perfect match for my SME 3012R tonearm.
A Yamamoto Ebony wood headshell is also available, so I decided, to take the risk and to order the Shun Mook Cartridge.

Within the next 2 weeks, the cartridge should arrive and I will let you know my first impressions .

Hopefully similar as described here:

https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/shunmook_ref_e.html

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
After having tried a lot of different Cartridges, still an experience with ZYX carts is missing.

On the other hand I am always fascinated about the effect of Shun Mook products.

With Shun Mook my love to old Ebony wood as High End Accessory started and you will find on many positions of my listening room and gear some ebony wood.

You can imagine, that I was fascinated, as became aware, that Shun Mook has built their own cartridge around the ZYX R1000 base.

Reading the technical description, the Shun Mook MC Reference Cartridge seem to be the perfect match for my SME 3012R tonearm.
A Yamamoto Ebony wood headshell is also available, so I decided, to take the risk and to order the Shun Mook Cartridge.

Within the next 2 weeks, the cartridge should arrive and I will let you know my first impressions .

LOL']LOL

You just gave Ked a serious Audio boner ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually I have the shun mook headshell which I would love to send to you Shakti if I can find it. It is somewhere in deep storage

Reactions: shakti

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My friend since 25 yeas is Italian distributor of Shun Mook and Miyajima and told me,for him Miyajima is better

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
My friend since 25 yeas is Italian distributor of Shun Mook and Miyajima and told me,for him Miyajima is better
Got to enjoy a Miyajima in a friends system recently. It was very nice, and playing various classical discs, I preferred it to an SPU Wood which also sounded very good. I find that no one cartridge does it all. That's why I keep two arms active, with another in reserve, to use based on the type of music, or character of the recording. Currently I principally use an Ortofon Anna, and Transfiguration Temper. I've found that many cartridges seem to fall between these two in character. Anna for symphonic and or lean sounding recordings, Temper for small ensemble, and or excessively warm recordings.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There are many type of SPUs. A95, a90, synergy are the ones I like though never heard the classic. Compared them at Gian's, also heard some SPUs against madake in another system. I don't like Miyajima stereo carts though like their mono. It sounds even better with their step up

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
"Better" is a very relative word, if it comes to analog listening.
You can easily can get a cart which gets nearly all information out of record.
But may be you will miss the music as such.
You can find a cart, which will bring the music to your heart,
But may be you will miss some of the information of the record.

The "best blend" of character is , what I am looking for. And I am (like all the others as well) individual in my preferences, so I will find out, if the cart will become one of my "best" carts, or not.

Reactions: audioquattr

zog

Oct 8, 2013

I am a big fan of Ebony. I have a Technics 1210 that I have put about 100 hours of work into. Part of that included an Ebony armboard and Ebony Stabiliser (made by Magna Audio) and an Ebony headshell. Musical Instruments are made from this stuff - think clarinet, oboe, black piano keys. Anyway the net result is a slightly more real and organic sound.
The notion of using Ebony (or other hardwood for that matter) in the cartridge is a good one and I will be interested in your conclusions.

Reactions: shakti

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Cartridges sound are all different so the only thing need to try in own system.
Every system has a different sound and need different cart,plus our different taste
So is impossible to judge a cart if you don't listen in your system

Reactions: kodomo and Tango

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
"The Shun Mook always sounds like a Shun Mook."

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah, and the Lyra always sounds like a Lyra. Wait a minute, with your SME it doesn't. My bad

Reactions: Lagonda

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Yeah, and the Lyra always sounds like a Lyra. Wait a minute, with your SME it doesn't. My bad

It sure doesnt sound like the Shun Mook my friend ..hehe :cool:

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did Kedar bring his Mooks to your system and play around with them? I can't remember from the report. If so, how did they change the sound?

Peter, on the first day I tried, the sound changed positively. On the second day, it muddied things up. Both times only a quick trial on one track. The only place to put them was under the EMT phono due to the way shelves are, and not much flexibility to move once you put them as EMT has screws below. I think I got them wrong on the second day. Tang seemed to look at me as if I was being a pain so I did not pursue, and didn't come to any conclusion.

I didn't bring them. Jazzhead left them there last year when he visited tang. I took them back. Since I introduced jazz head to mooks, he has stocked up on them and is the single biggest Mook center in the world

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: BruceD and Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Ked. Will you be considering this new cartridge for your system?

This is not a new cart. My most favoured Mook things are the footers, then the record weight is a luxury for non suspended TTs. I haven't heard this cart but doubt it will be as good as some of the other ones. Happy to be wrong

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
as I am not looking for "the best" cartridge, I am open minded, what kind of performance the Shun Mook will add to my set up. And I will write about :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Peter, on the first day I tried, the sound changed positively.

So you moved things in my room without me knowing while I was in the meeting. I didnot hear that. No witness. I only heard what I heard on the second day and you said it.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: rockhopper

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing