Shun Mook Spatial Control Kit Octet v Harmonix/Combak RFA-7800 v Synergistic Research HFT & FEQ

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
More toys to spend one's hard-earned on. Definitely NOT one to reveal the price of to the long-suffering partner, lest the scream comes back:
"HOW much???!!! For THOSE???!!!"

Just a few Qs:

First, how do small pucks/discs, no matter how many one installs thruout a listening space, make a significant difference to sound?

Second, do they "load" the acoustic ie tailor it to a certain euphonic presentation, or do they enhance neutrality?

Third, are they an alternative to more standard acoustic panels treatments like GIK, Tube Traps, Accustica Applicata, SMT etc? Or are they an addition/complement?

Four, has anyone demoed and compared these products?

Depending on the number utilised, we're looking at £70-130 per disc, 60-75 likely in my 18x48 space.

I'm doing my best to not fall into dismissing these as snake oil/wishful thinking. My room has like all rooms got potential for better acoustics/management, but it's not really possible at this point to invest in both expensive panels AND expensive discs/pucks.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh Marty, he has to wash his hair and paint his nails first.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marty, one point of interest is that I know two audiophiles who swear by these Mook Mpingo discs, but not necessarily the resonators under gear. Since I didn't get on w those resonators in this room it may be that I still find the Spatial Kit Octet effective.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I tried a load of the Synergistic Research HFT things (about 4 packets if I remember). The most noticeable difference was when I removed them all and the sound improved! They seemed to dry the sound out too much for my liking, so I gave them back and moved on.
I also tried their passive bass trap - made absolutely no difference whatsoever, either measured or by ear.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Heihei, the room I heard the SRs in certainly had a very imaging based sound, could be described as dry. The owner absolutely swore by the SRs, for him a forward and detailed sound was his objective. For me, it was impressive but a little too delineated.

I'm wondering if the SRs, Harmonix' and Mooks Spatial Kits, all sound v different to each other.

From my experience of Diamond Resonators under gear, I couldn't imagine the Mook Mpingos doing what the SRs do.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Heihei, the room I heard the SRs in certainly had a very imaging based sound, could be described as dry. The owner absolutely swore by the SRs, for him a forward and detailed sound was his objective. For me, it was impressive but a little too delineated.

I'm wondering if the SRs, Harmonix' and Mooks Spatial Kits, all sound v different to each other.

From my experience of Diamond Resonators under gear, I couldn't imagine the Mook Mpingos doing what the SRs do.

Obviously they sound different to each other. Do you think Nat sounds different to Krell, as both are power amps? The mpingo discs sound different to the resonators as well, guess why

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, these are just data points to get impressions. I've been in this room, and have Heihei experience to compare. Since I heard a lot of what he did in this room, its a v useful snapshot. Nothing more to draw.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Heihei, any plans to try the Harmonix or Mooks Spatial Kits? Or has yr experience of the SRs pushed you away from this direction, and you're more interested now in standard acoustic panels treatments?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Heihei, any plans to try the Harmonix or Mooks Spatial Kits? Or has yr experience of the SRs pushed you away from this direction, and you're more interested now in standard acoustic panels treatments?

I am not interested in SR though I enjoy such tweaks. It can sound artificial but to be fair it changes sound with every minor change so you will have to try a lot to commit to conclusions. Passive panels also need to be done right, rare is the treated room that sounds good

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The trick in my room Ked, is to do v little. Unlike the apartment in London, it's already a much more natural, warmer acoustic. For me, I'm trying to gild the lily. It's just as in all things, there are multiple routes, and many ways to go too far. SRs a good example, their literature pretty much says the more the merrier. And in my 18x48 room, more can be a LOT more.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The trick in my room Ked, is to do v little. Unlike the apartment in London, it's already a much more natural, warmer acoustic. For me, I'm trying to gild the lily. It's just as in all things, there are multiple routes, and many ways to go too far. SRs a good example, their literature pretty much says the more the merrier. And in my 18x48 room, more can be a LOT more.

I suggest cupboards with LP collection of top presses as best natural treatment

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Luckily my room is pretty good to start with, and so am acutely aware of over-doing it. Also aware of there being a lot of stuff out there that won't have any noticeable impact. For example, first reflection points are already "disrupted" through curtains etc.
I've had some success in treating the area directly behind the speakers for dispersion, and the room could do with a bit more broadband absorption, but the main thing I'm keen to treat is a few prominent nodes in the bass (hence the ceiling thread).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing