Shunyata Grounding System

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Yeah, I agree @MarkusBarkus; but Shunyata says there is indeed isolation between outlets on the same duplex. I think you are correct and this is why they also say there is better isolation among duplexes.
You can break the tab between the top and bottom outlet on a duplex and feed the hot and neutral each independently. The ground would be common to both.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
You can break the tab between the top and bottom outlet on a duplex and feed the hot and neutral each independently. The ground would be common to both.
Absolutely correct. This is what electricians do routinely to support one outlet of a duplex being switched at the wall for a lamp or the like, while the other receptacle in the duplex remains constantly energized from the breaker panel.

Steve Z

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...yeah, I looked at the duplex and it didn't *seem* to have the traditional break-away tab structure. I used a similar duplex for a project with a P&S hard-use outlet, and I had to grind away the delrin/nylon structure to accommodate the #6 cable. I didn't mention the tab, as I thought it might confuse non-honchos, not guys like Rex and Steve Z. Anyway, we will get a take from the source before too long.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Richard Rogers is a neighbor of mine and he was just by last night as a matter of fact. I'll ask him next time we speak about the intra-duplex vs. inter-duplex isolation question as it relates to the Typhon and Tritons and Everests, et al.

As you say, we can surmise all we want -- we are audiophiles after all -- but short of taking a look inside your Shunyata power distribution devices for yourself, I trust what Richard tells me.

Steve Z
So, circling back to this. It was a couple of days before I had a chance to chat with Richard but when I did I asked the question about isolation socket to socket on the same duplex and duplex to duplex isolation. Here is what he said (shared with Richard's consent):

"Morning Steve!

These depends on what product of ours we’re talking about. In the Denali, each socket of the same duplex is isolated from one another. In the Everest, the middle four sockets are isolated and then the bottom and top duplexes are isolated but as a duplex not a socket. The QRBB and NIC’s service all outlets of the distributor and the isolation filtration is a separate tech from these (CCI filters or “component to component interference filters”).

Does that make sense? I’m only halfway through my first cup of coffee "

So, thank you Richard.

Steve Z

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
So, circling back to this. It was a couple of days before I had a chance to chat with Richard but when I did I asked the question about isolation socket to socket on the same duplex and duplex to duplex isolation. Here is what he said (shared with Richard's consent):

"Morning Steve!

These depends on what product of ours we’re talking about. In the Denali, each socket of the same duplex is isolated from one another. In the Everest, the middle four sockets are isolated and then the bottom and top duplexes are isolated but as a duplex not a socket. The QRBB and NIC’s service all outlets of the distributor and the isolation filtration is a separate tech from these (CCI filters or “component to component interference filters”).

Does that make sense? I’m only halfway through my first cup of coffee "

So, thank you Richard.

Steve Z
Haha, I have had a coffee and still don’t fully understand what he said. What Richard told me is kind of contradictory:
On one hand he said all outlets are equally isolated from the other (Denali 6000 v2); but he also said that if you have only 3 components to connect it’s better to connect one to one duplex and also it’s best to group like components to one duplex (eg two digital components to one duplex rather than mixing digital and analog).

What about on the Typhon T2? I’m not sure its 2 outlets are isolated. I plugged in a subwoofer with a switching power supply and it negatively affected the sound of the DarTZeel 108.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Haha, I have had a coffee and still don’t fully understand what he said. What Richard told me is kind of contradictory:
On one hand he said all outlets are equally isolated from the other (Denali 6000 v2); but he also said that if you have only 3 components to connect it’s better to connect one to one duplex and also it’s best to group like components to one duplex (eg two digital components to one duplex rather than mixing digital and analog).

What about on the Typhon T2? I’m not sure its 2 outlets are isolated. I plugged in a subwoofer with a switching power supply and it negatively affected the sound of the DarTZeel 108.
FWIW, I have my subs plugged into my Denali 6000 v2 and my amp is the only thing plugged into the T2. I haven't noticed any ill effects having it set up this way. My front end is on a different wall and connected to an Everest.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
FWIW, I have my subs plugged into my Denali 6000 v2 and my amp is the only thing plugged into the T2. I haven't noticed any ill effects having it set up this way. My front end is on a different wall and connected to an Everest.
Yes, same here.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I believe this statement clearly illustrates that sockets within a duplex are not (completely) isolated from one another, but duplex to duplex is, ah?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeotrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing