Shunyata Research - New Products for 2020

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I know there are a few other Shunyata Research fans and owners on this site besides myself.

So, I'd thought I'd start a thread for future products and announcements that we will see this year.

With the Omega QR just released, I wonder whats next from Caelin and team?

Perhaps @CGabriel and will see this thread and chime in.

Reactions: MJB

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
FWIW - Love them, use them, but the moment a company turns to bling, I am out.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016

I have had great results with Shunyata throughout the years so, I'll stick with them. I love the Shunyata Power + MIT Speaker Cables + Interconnects in my system.

As a Spectral user, I find its a great combo. MIT's power products aren't competitive (in my system) to Shunyata IMHO but, of course YMMV.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

Is it their use of carbon fiber on the QR that has you suggesting that they’ve “turned to bling”?

They claim this is for ‘improved vibration management and lowered distortion’. They’re not the first audiophile manufacturer to make that claim. At least one of their competitors, Furutech, has been using carbon fiber on their connectors for years. So is this really a case of material being added only to make it look flashy?

I grant you that permitting a customer to select a color theme and offering bright red as one of the four choices does have a bling aspect to it. Price is the same regardless though.

i have to admit that I like that they‘ve added a bit of flair to the look of this pricy power cord. I wish there was more of that, but I can certainly understand some preferring otherwise.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Is it their use of carbon fiber on the QR that has you suggesting that they’ve “turned to bling”?

They claim this is for ‘improved vibration management and lowered distortion’.

Bling or BS, same thing in my audio book

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
So far I haven’t seen any bling from Shunyata. As a (retired) engineer, I appreciate the science and engineering in their products. While their products can be expensive, they are a bargain compared to some other cable manufacturers.

I would like to try the Omega QR on my amps since it seems that a single power cord does the work of two power cords and a Denali 2000. However, since my current power setup on each amp costs more than the QR I will probably wait for either a used QR, or the second generation QR.

Reactions: Audire and MJB

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
All of my power cables are Shunyata. I have been using this brand for the last 10 or so years - Black Mambas, Cobras, Pythons, Anacondas, Alphas, Deltas NR, Sigmas and Sigma NR.

My least favorite were the Cobras. My favorites have been the Sigma NR. Best value Deltas NR, Python and Alphas.

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I tested the Omega QR a short while and posts comments on other threads and also other forums. It is absolutely an
excellent, world-class power cord. I cannot speak to whether the carbon fiber sleeves do any good however the cable
itself is everything they claim it to be, and much more, in sonic results.

I'm testing 2 Alpha V2 power cords right now and they are. an eye opener. At their reasonable price point that
are astounding me as to what they can do. I won't drone on; I will only say they are excellent and will be the sweet
spot in the line beyond a doubt.

Reactions: MJB

tony22

Nov 4, 2019

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
My understanding is that I am testing a pre-prod prototype that is being considered.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Ah, so it’s an Alpha NR “v2”? Interesting. Are you allowed to say how it compares to the current Alpha NR?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
My understanding is that I am testing a pre-prod prototype that is being considered.

@SCAudiophile Wow. Interesting. I guess we can look forward to Alpha NR V2 an Sigma NR V2 in the 2020?

Most likely they have or maybe just the Sigma NR V2; the new conductor used in the Omega QR.

If so, hopefully not a huge price increase. As I do also agree that the Alpha series are indeed the "sweet spot" in the Shunyata power cable lineup.

The Zitron technology makes it debut in the Alpha line of cables.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Tony and Mdp: For details I'd suggest pinging Caelin and/or Grant. "V2" is what has been referred in conversation
prior/during testing. I have not ever tried and Alpha NR so I cannot answer that question...

I have used a Sigma NR previously but don't have it now. All I can say is the Alpha "V2" has been a bit of a shock here
as to the results levels, no exaggeration and no audio hyperbole; it's damned good, that simple.

Bear in mind a little over a month prior, I was testing the new uber power cord (Omega). Even after living through that wonderful experience, the Alpha "V2" is giving me a bit of an audio "double-take" moment as to what is coming out of my active speakers and in another test scenario,my transport & DAC and in another scenario, my Wavelet and Powerblock2 when powered by the 2 identical cables I was sent to allow me to test devices in pairs.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Wow!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Yes,...they are definitely on a roll starting with their TYPHON QR, TRITON V3, AES, Clock and other digital cables a while ago and not stopping there by any means!

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Yes,...they are definitely on a roll starting with their TYPHON QR, TRITON V3, AES, Clock and other digital cables a while ago and not stopping there by any means!

I'm awaiting the Denali 8000T ; the successor to the Denali 6000T in North America.

Supposedly its the new flagship replacing Triton V3/Typhon QR.

Until....most likely a 12 outlet Hydra Omega Conditioner that is the size of mini fridge :eek:

We'll see what happens. I can't wait but, I'm sure my wallet wouldn't mind the wait :)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
It would be nice if they could build the Triton/Typhon technology into the cable like they did with the Omega QR. Then they would just need a small power strip for the cables.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
I'm awaiting the Denali 8000T ; the successor to the Denali 6000T in North America.

Supposedly its the new flagship replacing Triton V3/Typhon QR.

Until....most likely a 12 outlet Hydra Omega Conditioner that is the size of mini fridge :eek:

We'll see what happens. I can't wait but, I'm sure my wallet wouldn't mind the wait :)

Is that really a thing? I googled it and found nothing on it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing