Shunyata Venom defender

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
So I tried one in each wall outlet for my Pass XS-150's last night. What I heard was significant. Tighter, more articulate bass, lower noise and more transparency throughout the frequency range. All of these traits were easy to hear. I am not interested in plugging the amps into boxes as I feel the dynamics breath better plugged directly into the wall in their own socket, so I am sticking with these little guys as they really do work, imo.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So I tried one in each wall outlet for my Pass XS-150's last night. What I heard was significant. Tighter, more articulate bass, lower noise and more transparency throughout the frequency range. All of these traits were easy to hear. I am not interested in plugging the amps into boxes as I feel the dynamics breath better plugged directly into the wall in their own socket, so I am sticking with these little guys as they really do work, imo.

I have two of these babies "cooking" at the moment. However, I do plan to use them in conjunction with a Python on the same circuit as my monoblocks as suggested by Caelin. I'm surprised you are not giving this a whirl as well. Your amps would still be plugged into the wall, and the python is passive so no restriction of current whatsoever.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I have two of these babies "cooking" at the moment. However, I do plan to use them in conjunction with a Python on the same circuit as my monoblocks as suggested by Caelin. I'm surprised you are not giving this a whirl as well. Your amps would still be plugged into the wall, and the python is passive so no restriction of current whatsoever.

Try a Typhon and Anaconda umbilical cord with each Xs150. You will be amazed!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

So the typhon just plugs into the outlet and you plug nothing into it like you do with the triton for more power inputs ? If both amps are on the same circuit but different outlets, do I only need one typhon ?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So the typhon just plugs into the outlet and you plug nothing into it like you do with the triton for more power inputs ? If both amps are on the same circuit but different outlets, do I only need one typhon ?

I will have two mono's on the same circuit so yes - you use just one Typhon on this circuit. You need to install a quadplex (basically two Shunyata duplexes wired together), and plug in two monos and one typhon. I am using the 4th outlet for the defender as suggested by Caelin (if only for surge protection!). In fact, electrician is coming in tomorrow for install of quadplex (I am not a DIY kinda guy with electrical stuff).

If you already have two duplexes (one for each mono) on the single circuit, you just plug it into one of the two I would think. Probably the one closest to the distribution panel. Ask Shunyata for guidance in this scenario.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If you already have two duplexes (one for each mono) on the single circuit, you just plug it into one of the two I would think. Probably the one closest to the distribution panel. Ask Shunyata for guidance in this scenario.

I have two separate duplex outlets on the same 20 amp circuit that I plug each mono block into. It sounds like one typhon would be sufficient plugged into one of the duplexes one of the amps is plugged into. Does the typhon come with a cord to plug into the outlet ?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have two separate duplex outlets on the same 20 amp circuit that I plug each mono block into. It sounds like one typhon would be sufficient plugged into one of the duplexes one of the amps is plugged into. Does the typhon come with a cord to plug into the outlet ?

I believe there is a stock cord, but if you do not buy the anaconda your credibility on this forum would suffer irreparable damage :)

As an aside, I have two typhons and one triton cooking. I will use the typhon for poweramps as described and the triton for front end (DAC + Preamp). I will try my 2nd typhon with that front end setup just for kicks, but changes are I will decide it is not worth the extra outlay and stick with just one Triton (Steve says for front end just the Triton gets you 80% of the goods - adding typhon adds 20%).

In this case, I will have a Typhon with anaconda umbilical to sell. I'll know in about a week. PM me if you're interested....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Is that right out of the box? I thought they needed 48 hrs to sound their best?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

Or start with a Cyclops, which will handle both amps. It will be a step up from going directly to the wall. While you might believe otherwise, until you try it, you will never know. Of course, you will connect the Cyclops to the wall with a Zanaconda, and at a minimum use Zpythons on the amps.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Or start with a Cyclops, which will handle both amps. It will be a step up from going directly to the wall. While you might believe otherwise, until you try it, you will never know. Of course, you will connect the Cyclops to the wall with a Zanaconda, and at a minimum use Zpythons on the amps.

The man uses $50K speaker cables. Why cut corners?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The man uses $50K speaker cables. Why cut corners?

Yikes! Go with a Cyclops, a Typhon, and all Zanaconda power cables. That should be an improvement over a $195 Venom Defender.

Also, if possible, try some Zanaconda speaker cables. That would be an interesting comparison.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Yikes! Go with a Cyclops, a Typhon, and all Zanaconda power cables. That should be an improvement over a $195 Venom Defender.

Also, if possible, try some Zanaconda speaker cables. That would be an interesting comparison.

I don't understand the Cyclops. I believe the Cyclops is a Triton lite, but Shunyata advises against using a Triton + Typhon combo for power amps, and says to just use the Typhon (+ defender). So by inference a Cyclops + Typhon would make even less sense that Typhon + Triton.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I wanted to try this passive technology on the cheap to see if it matters. Apparently it does from what I am hearing. I can only imagine the Typhon increases the magnitude of the effect.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I wanted to try this passive technology on the cheap to see if it matters. Apparently it does from what I am hearing. I can only imagine the Typhon increases the magnitude of the effect.

This is where the confusion comes in. The Cyclops is active - really a Triton lite. The Python is passive. The two are complementary. The Typhon does not increase the effect of a Cyclops - it is a different type of device - a Triton would do this (i.e. increase effect of Cyclops). May be Shunyata can clarify.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I don't understand the Cyclops. I believe the Cyclops is a Triton lite, but Shunyata advises against using a Triton + Typhon combo for power amps, and says to just use the Typhon (+ defender). So by inference a Cyclops + Typhon would make even less sense that Typhon + Triton.

If I understand it correctly, the Cyclops was developed for amps. I'm not sure about the number of internal NICs, but the Cyclops does not have the electro-magnetic breaker that is in the Triton. Although I haven't tried it, I have read others saying the Cyclop/Typhon combo is amazing.

I have the Triton for source gear, and the Cyclops for the amps, but no Typhon at this time. I will be adding one in a month or so for the Triton, and a few months later for the Cyclops.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My twin Typhons for the AC duplex if each amp made a huge change in my system as did the Triton/Typhon for my front end. I had Geant from Shunyata at my house yesterday and I know he was impressed.

Shunyata hydras and power cords are the real deal

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If I understand it correctly, the Cyclops was developed for amps. I'm not sure about the number of internal NICs, but the Cyclops does not have the electro-magnetic breaker that is in the Triton. Although I haven't tried it, I have read others saying the Cyclop/Typhon combo is amazing.

I have the Triton for source gear, and the Cyclops for the amps, but no Typhon at this time. I will be adding one in a month or so for the Triton, and a few months later for the Cyclops.

I see. So the Cyclops is active (a la Triton) but with the circuitry that may restrict current stripped out. Irrespectively, to try the "passive" filtering approach on you need a Typhon. I believe that using the defender in parallel on the circuit emulates some of the impact of the Cyclops as well.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I see. So the Cyclops is active (a la Triton) but with the circuitry that may restrict current stripped out. Irrespectively, to try the "passive" filtering approach on you need a Typhon. I believe that using the defender in parallel on the circuit emulates some of the impact of the Cyclops as well.

Just curious, but how do you define 'active' and 'passive'? In my mind both the Cyclops and Triton are passive since they contain no circuitry that requires power. My understanding of the Typhon is that it is just more of the Triton, or more of the Cyclops.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Just curious, but how do you define 'active' and 'passive'? In my mind both the Cyclops and Triton are passive since they contain no circuitry that requires power. My understanding of the Typhon is that it is just more of the Triton, or more of the Cyclops.

Hey guys, i think it will be helpful if I go through a brief description of each product.

VENOM DEFENDER
- provides 20,000 amps of surge protection
- contains an MPDA which reduces noise on the power line
- operates in parallel to the AC circuit
- created to provide surge and noise reduction for the VENOM PS8
- can also be used in the bottom outlet of a duplex to provide surge and noise reduction for whatever is plugged into the top outlet, usually something like a sonos or TV, etc
- a low cost solution instead of power conditioners

HYDRA CYCLOPS
- originally designed for high current amps
- provides Triton level performance
- contains NIC chambers similar to Talos
- contains an MPDA (so a DEFENDER is unnecessary)
- has only 2 outlets and no circuit breaker for best DTCD
- think of it as a hot rodded Triton if you don't need the 8 outlets

HYDRA TYPHON
- orginally designed for exclusive use with the TRITON for reference level oerformance
- it operates totally in parallel to AC circuit and carries no current load
- some enterprising folks decide to use it in the second outlet of a duplex for their amp
(similar to way you use a DEFENDER)
- can be used to improve performance of any HYDRA
- however it is an expensive unit
- it really needs one of our top umbilical cables to deliver its best (python or anaconda)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing