Shut off connection to external speakers when PC shuts down?

CaptainDunsel

Sep 16, 2022
I have a PC with a standard 3.5mm audio jack in the back. I purchased two Bose Soundlink Color II speakers that have 3.5mm connections and happened to have a splitter in my 'cable junk box' so yay, I now have both speakers attached to my PC. That works great when my PC is up and running, but there's a problem. When I shut down my PC, one of the speakers will randomly emit a very loud buzzing noise. The only fix I have found so far is to disconnect the speaker from the PC at either the speaker itself or by unplugging the cable going into my PC. I was curious what would happen if I unplugged the cable from the back of my PC and then shut down, and sure enough, it remained quiet. Unfortunately, I tend to forget about this and shut down my PC and walk out of the room sometimes, and when I come back around, sure enough I hear the buzzing.

So here's my question. Is there something I can attach to the cable at the PC end, or is there something else I can do when I shut down the PC that will somehow sever the connection to the speakers and somehow prevent this? I hope this makes sense, and I apologize for not knowing that much about audio stuff.

Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide!

CaptainDunsel

Sep 16, 2022
I'd like to add that another method to quiet the speakers is to power them off individually before I shut down the PC. I can do that of course, but if there were some kind of way to cut the connection when I shut down the PC that would be preferred. Thanks again.

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
You can change the default speaker setting. What I have done is use the built in speakers as default and configure the Qobuz to use the external speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing