Sigma Acoustics - Orchestra 2.9 speakers

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone here has used Sigma Acoustic speakers before and your experience with this hiend brand from Italia?

Actually, I've just come back from Munich earlier this week and Sigma Acoustic room is the last one that I could visit because there are simply too many. Aldo, the owner and designer of the brand, was there and very kind to let me stay and listening to some of my favourite songs although the venue was closed by the time I got there.

After spending 3 days at both Marriott and MOC, and listened to many ultra hiend systems + truly impressed by some stuff like FM Acoustic, Stenheim + Dartzeel, Soulution + Magico, MBL Extreme, Kharma grand, Engstrom + Martel, Kharma grand midi + Koda + Wadax, Gobel, Estelon, Davis Acoustics; I did have a sense of how those things sound even with crap music (in many rooms) that they usually use at the show even with mega price tags.

Honestly, the amazing sounds coming from those systems mentioned above were still with me before I rushed to Sigma Acoustic at the end of the day, but I was totally blown away when listen to the Orchestra 2.9 in a really small room with low ceiling.

First time, after 10 years since owning my mighty and beloved Magico Q5 from new, I considered to try something different and decided to place an order for that pair from Sigma Acoustic. I'm planning to build a new listening room at the back of my house and waiting for the good news from city council where I live, and I believe the Orchestra 2.9 will perfectly fit the bills as well as the size of my room.

Compared to the other ultra hiend brands which I mentioned above, at around £75k list price before tax, it seems the Orchestra 2.9 is a steal. The most shocking thing for me is Aldo used a tiny pair of monoblocks from a brand called AGD to drive such big speakers to their optimum performance. The speakers are very easy to drive and this is a critical factor that might save me huge money of upgrading my Karan KAM2000, at least in foreseeable future before my budget allows me to get the swiss-made monoblocks home or something like that.

To be fair, the KAM2000 monoblocks have never had any issues driving the Q5s at all to their ultimate performance and I'm very pleased with the result. That's the reason why I didn't change anything in my system during the past 10 years. Indeed, the deal to get Vivaldi transport + dac here failed at the very last minutes, but I'm fine with the Esoteric P03-D03. Still get the Vivaldi in my aim anyway, one day maybe, one day.

Coming back to the Orchestra 2.9, I listen to various types of music, but in order to quickly analyse a system in a rush and especially speakers, I tend to use electronic music from Yello and Kraftwerk or the like to see how they react to the super heavy kickdrums alongside midrange and high freq. At the same time, I can see how the imaging and depth of the soundstage are reproduced by those speakers when music flying around.

In fact, I did jump in my seat with joys and excitements when the Orchestra 2.9 showed me how incredible they are when making the walls disappear and only the music left. The soundstage is huge and very precise, the bass is tight, very fast and not boomy at all - that's what I love. The mid and high are super sweet with the AMT tweeter and alnico magnet + papyrus paper fiber which are designed for their MATT Vector speakers. All the crews from Sigma Acoustic and my old friend just simply looked at me and laughed as I was so excited like a boy with his new found treasure when the music was being played.

This will be a long wait for me as I need my room to be built first until I can get the Orchestra 2.9 here, unless I'm crazy enough to let the Q5s go to get some spaces. Even though, the Orchestra 2.9 are still quite big for my current room and it's gonna be a big work to remove stuff, whilst I'm keen on keeping the Q5s and using them as my 2nd pair in the future, we'll see.

I just hope that my new room will be built exactly to the design and the city council will approve my planning but not adjusting anything at all. And one day, I might be in a position to get the MATT Vector home, but I believe the Orchestra 2.9 are better in smaller rooms unless I can get a mansion with a huge room - just a dream hahaha.

Now, I'm keen on to hear your experiences with Sigma Acoustics and their speakers.

Thanks,

Sr

PS: I cannot upload the pictures, it says the files are too large but actually they're 18MB together, don't think it's "too large" :(

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
fact, I did jump in my seat with joys and excitements when the Orchestra 2.9 showed me how incredible they are when making the walls disappear and only the music left. The soundstage is huge and very precise, the bass is tight, very fast and not boomy at all - that's what I love. The mid and high are super sweet with the AMT tweeter and alnico magnet + papyrus paper fiber which are designed for their MATT Vector speakers. All the crews from Sigma Acoustic and my old friend just simply looked at me and laughed as I was so excited like a boy with his new found treasure when the music was being played.
I was also quite positively impressed with those speakers :cool:
I wonder how those babies would even sound with "proper" electronics instead of those toy amps :oops:
Would love to hear those with Lampi and KR or AC amps :eek:

Reactions: sonrock

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Yes I agree in terms of how those speakers sound in my system with my big ss monoblocks rather than those tiny tube amps. But interestingly, the AGD amps are designed and manufactured in the US with a pretty high retail price, not "toy price" hahaha. Here is the link: https://agdproduction.com/gran-vivace/

The fact is the Orchestra 2.9s sensitivity is at 95db on 8ohm, that's the reason why I was shocked by how those tiny single-valve amps, weigh 2.5kg each, can drive them to their best. Just incredible!

Dec 15, 2021
Ciao, Sonrock, sono molto contento delle tue positive considerazioni sui diffusori Sigma Acoustics ed in particolare delle sensazioni di ascolto delle 2.9. Se ho capito bene, arriveranno nel tuo impianto, e posso garantirti che non avrai difficoltà di collocamento e riuscirai facilmente ad ottenere i risultati che ti aspetti. Mi permetto di dirti questo poiché conosco molto bene questi diffusori, le loro caratteristiche e anche la loro facile interfacciabilità con le elettroniche e gli ambienti. Io sono un felice possessore di una coppia di Maat versione Orchestra e quindi ne so qualcosa. Per il resto mi preme dirti che Aldo Zaninello è una persona che conosce la musica, ama il suo lavoro che svolge con grande passione e sopratutto, aspetto non meno importante, è una persona onesta.

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
"Hi, Sonrock, I am very happy with your positive thoughts on the Sigma Acoustics speakers and in particular with the listening sensations of the 2.9. If I understand correctly, they will arrive in your facility, and I can guarantee you that you will not have difficulty in placing and you will easily be able to obtain the results you expect. I would like to tell you this because I know these speakers very well, their characteristics and also their easy interfacing with electronics and environments. I am a happy owner of a pair of Maat Orchestra version and therefore I know something about it. For the rest I would like to tell you that Aldo Zaninello is a person who knows music, loves his work which he does with great passion and above all, not least, he is an honest person."

Thanks for letting me know about this and I have absolutely no doubt about the performance of those beautiful speakers when being paired with my own electronics. And huge congratulations for being the owner of MATT, they are incredible stuff and I know only 15 pairs ever made.

Another point, as I don't speak Italian, I had to use google translate to understand what you wrote haha, so please do English the next time if you share a post here ^^.

pdubya

Oct 30, 2012
Audiophile wasteland
I was also quite positively impressed with those speakers :cool:
I wonder how those babies would even sound with "proper" electronics instead of those toy amps :oops:
Would love to hear those with Lampi and KR or AC amps :eek:
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Shhh, don't tell the Bayz they're being driven by "toys". They are perfectly happy being driven by SOTA Class D GaN (Gallium Nitride) FET technology -- 170W at 4 ohms.
P8070215.JPG

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
The Bayz sounds great to me, really impressed with the design. I even talked with the designer when I met him at Marriott after giving them a proper listen. But they look truly unconventional to me and wife would not tolerate if I bring them home, just my own thought haha.

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Here we go, I just snipped from the original pictures taken from my camera, so potentially all the sizes have been shrunk and fit in here

Capture 1.PNG Capture 3.PNG Capture 4.PNG Capture 2.PNG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing