Sigma NR v2 vs. Alpha NR v2

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Maybe I am missing something, but looking at the specs, the only difference is the conductor size, everything else appears to be identical, correct? See attached, from website.

So, because of this, if using into a relatively low current gear (I.e DAC, preamp, etc), then there is no advantage to getting Sigma as compared to just getting an Alpha? I realize that for high current Amps Sigma May work better.

Thanks!

ACF1615D-B1D2-4566-86D0-67F0225AFF97.jpeg

zonto

Apr 13, 2017
This is my understanding, but would be helpful to get confirmation from the Company. Similar point with the Delta v2 series, just with an even smaller gauge and no carbon fiber head shell.

Is the noise filter the same on each NR cable in the Reference line?

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Reactions: zonto

crion

Oct 29, 2014
The thing is, your DAC or preamp may respond greatly to higher DTCD or higher gauge cables. Many have reported this. So if you want to find out for sure in your setup, get a trial of a higher gauge in the range if possible. If your budget allows it.

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
The thing is, your DAC or preamp may respond greatly to higher DTCD or higher gauge cables. Many have reported this. So if you want to find out for sure in your setup, get a trial of a higher gauge in the range if possible. If your budget allows it.

What is DTCD?

As far as the gauge is concerned, if a piece of equipment does not need a high current delivery even at high peak times, why would it benefit from a higher gauge cable?

Thanks!

Dave Raven

Sep 10, 2019
I have both the Sigma & Alpha v2's and they are both excellent and best I have heard from Shunyata IMO. I have owned most all of their cords through the years. I first hooked up a Sigma v2 to my DAC/Pre and it was a big upgrade from the Sigma v1 in my system. I then hooked up another Sigma to my server and did not expect as much of a jump in performance as the first cord delivered but I was wrong another nice improvement! I used the Alpha v2 with my clock and same thing another step up. Both cords are digital glare removers with a sweet midrange, deeper bass and greater detail with excellent transparency vs NR v1. The Sigma has more bloom and depth in my system vs the Alpha same as the V1 difference in my system in this respect. Next I will try the Sigma's on my mono amps to see if they can deliever yet another level of improvement. My bank account hopes not!

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Thanks for your feedback Dave regarding Sigma and Alpha v2. That really helps to understand what Sigma NR v2 does more than the Alpha NR v2.

Regarding those mono amps, I think you already know the answer. One thing to add though, the Omega XC can be used on BIG mono amps since it actually is 4 gauge the XC does not have any NR circuit though so keep that in mind. The Omega QR is 6 gauge (same as sigma) but has a QR/BB circuit apart from NR circuit if I remember correctly.

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
There are companies that have a 60-day return policy. Use your ears.

Reactions: AnStephen55

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing