Similarities and Differences-VAC 200IQ versus Music Reference RM-200

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
I've been reading years of forums but never saw a comparison between VAC 200IQ (or predecessor 200Phi with no continuous bias) and the Music Reference RM-200. Both are 100 watt, Class A/B amps using KT88 pairs, have multiple low impedance taps and highest quality transformers. The RM uses solid state input versus VAC's 6SN7s. It is well known that the RM tubes last 5 times longer than typical KT88s (10,000 hours) versus ARC amps (2,000 hours-I know, my former and my friends amps). I don't know how many hours a VAC output tube typically lasts.

Does anyone understand the design differences? Are they more similar or different. How significant are their differences? (disregarding the continuous bias feature of the IQ model).

Has anyone compared these two amps?

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
How about a comparison between two totally different types of tube amps, the VAC 200IQ and EAR 890, an 80 watt, Class A, zero-feedback, auto-biasing amp?

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Following the passing of roger modjeski, I’m unsure if the RM amps are still in production?

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Following the passing of roger modjeski, I’m unsure if the RM amps are still in production?
The following is a reply from my email to the company. We are keeping Roger's legacy alive by continuing to run Music Reference and RAM Tubes. The RM-200 is going to phased out in favor of some newer designs Roger wanted us to manufacture instead. So we have a couple left on close out pricing of $3,500 plus shipping and PayPal fees. If you are interested let us know.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
That is excellent news. My late father owned both beveridge speakers and the rm1/rm2 pre amp which is one of the all time classics, whilst I myself have purchased RAM tubes for several of my own pre amps

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing