Sirius 5 Turntable Release Date

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Now that I got everyone's attention :D I was wondering if anyone has news on the pending release. I have heard probably later this year

I saw the circulating photos and wonder if anyone has insider news on release and MSRP.

I have been hearing in the range of $150K

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Hmmmm! 150 K!It better have a remote!
Seriously now-it better play better than master tapes or somehow add lost info on worn out vinyl to worth this value...
Please somebody bring them back to earth.Where does the search for sound end and the hype begins?

Steve Williams

Seriously now-it better play better than master tapes or somehow add lost info on worn out vinyl to worth this value...
Please somebody bring them back to earth.Where does the search for sound end and the hype begins?

How true but having said that I must say that having heard both Mike Grellman's and Mike Lavigne's Sirius lll TT's not only is the sound jaw dropping but the build to the TT in parts alone is extremely expensive. I understand that the Sirius V involves even finer precision. Don't let the cost fool you as I bet there will be countless units sold

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Yeah, I Don't get it either. You can spend less than 10k on a modified Studer and trump any turntable out there! IMHO.... Now.. if the vinyl is the last known piece of history, then you need the good turntable to extract all the information from the grooves you can for recording purposes. But short of that? :confused:

Regards,

Steve Williams

Bruce

Last year I had decied that I was finally going to get back into TT and vinyl but as I read all of the forums on R2R it was apparent that Tape was the ruler of the pack but having said that Andy's TT is a work of art

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yes, I agree about the work of art... but, I have a few thousand pieces of vinyl and have clients wanting me to archive their vinyl to digital. I opted for a modified EMT 948 to do the transfers. It sounds very musical as well. Guess I like simple/reliable good sound.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
How true but having said that I must say that having heard both Mike Grellman's and Mike Lavigne's Sirius lll TT's not only is the sound jaw dropping but the build to the TT in parts alone is extremely expensive. I understand that the Sirius V involves even finer precision. Don't let the cost fool you as I bet there will be countless units sold

Agreed. I heard the Sirius III in the UK at a HiFi Show once (and met Andy Payor), but obviously that isn't going to be anywhere near the experience of hearing one in a well set up system.

$150k is serious coin for a turnttable, but let's not forget that Rockport won't be alone in this exaulted price category: the Clearaudio Statement and the Contiuum Audio Labs Caliburn come immediately to mind, and there are a couple of others too... I just wondering how I'll be able to buy such a wonderful beast!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

There are lots of things in this wacky hobby that we all love that don't appear to offer the value for the money they charge. I don't think the Rockport is in that catagory. The Rockport is engineered with a vengance and its execution is very expensive. Will it sound better than a master tape? No. But let's remember something people, we don't have the choice between buying master tapes or buying vinyl. There are only a handful of TP tapes available for people to purchase and they are not master tapes-they are made from the master tapes (albeit 2 generations away-and please don't anyone take offense to this as it is a statement of fact. Master tape, 1/2" copy of master tape, and the 1/4" tape you buy). Anyone who wants to build a large library of analog music to listen to has no other real choice than buying vinyl and having a damn good turntable/arm/cartridge to play back the vinyl with. There is more new vinyl or sale right now than most of us could ever purchase. How many 15 ips 2 track tapes are for sale right now and out of those, how many do you want to own? Even if you want all of them, the pickings are slim. So to say that the Rockport must sound better than a master tape is not a fair statement. It just needs to sound better than any other table that sells for the same price (assuming someone doesn't build or discover a cheaper table that outperforms the Rockport). If you want to own master tapes of commerical recordings, you need to own a record label.

Mark

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Although i have never heard a Rockport table i have read the Stereophile review (A+, remember?) and for a reviewer to be this excited it takes something out of this world.I grant you that!
But i still believe that the actual value of the parts and work could be tops, a mere 1/5th of the sale value.Of course you cannot put a price tag on a man's original thinking and passion for superb
execution...
Case in point:At a show some three years ago.A speaker around 1.10 m high,rectangular construction,consisting of two drivers (a ribbon tweeter and a 10 inch fullrange "woofer").
The speaker was made from plywood without paint (just lacquer)."Crossover?" i ask-"first order" was the answer...
I knew the speaker units that were used.Total parts value should be in the range of 800-1000 euro~1300$.I will give you what ever amount you wish to charge for a thin plywood cabinet and a first order
crossover.
And now for the crucial question..."How much?"-"12000 euro" ...equal to 15000$.
I am a restrained and polite guy.I had to bite my lips so that i could leave the room without saying something insulting...
I am no manager but the profit margins in high end sometimes make me furious.

Steve Williams

Although i have never heard a Rockport table i have read the Stereophile review (A+, remember?) and for a reviewer to be this excited it takes something out of this world.I grant you that!
But i still believe that the actual value of the parts and work could be tops, a mere 1/5th of the sale value.Of course you cannot put a price tag on a man's original thinking and passion for superb
execution...
Case in point:At a show some three years ago.A speaker around 1.10 m high,rectangular construction,consisting of two drivers (a ribbon tweeter and a 10 inch fullrange "woofer").
The speaker was made from plywood without paint (just lacquer)."Crossover?" i ask-"first order" was the answer...
I knew the speaker units that were used.Total parts value should be in the range of 800-1000 euro~1300$.I will give you what ever amount you wish to charge for a thin plywood cabinet and a first order
crossover.
And now for the crucial question..."How much?"-"12000 euro" ...equal to 15000$.
I am a restrained and polite guy.I had to bite my lips so that i could leave the room without saying something insulting...
I am no manager but the profit margins in high end sometimes make me furious.

John

please read the review on this

http://www.stereophile.com/tonearms/258/index.html

The parts on the Sirius 3 were way higher than 20% as you presume

Rumor on the Sirius 5 is that it will be north of $100K and perhaps as high as $150K but who's counting :)

I have heard the Sirius 3 and it is spectacular. The precision on the Sirius 5 will be even better

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Steve,as i said before i had read the article and believe that Fremer's excitement is true and justified.
I even respect the A+ rating that this magnificent turntable has earned.I am a true believer of it's total
superiority against all other top tables being manufactured then and now...
And i still believe that Andy was making at least a cool 1/3 profit from each one-(regardless of what he says)
Perhaps if we could give it to Sony and order 1000 units we could achieve a price around 25000$!
But then it wouldn't be so "high end",would it?
-I have taken an interesting design of the past, lived with it,learned all it's flaws and set up a goal to make it my dream turntable.
It took me 4.5 years to redesign and construct it the way i wanted it to be.If i knew in what i was getting into ,i would have never started!
Total parts / CNC work / cost about 5000 euro~7000$(with final prep,paint,assembly etc by me).How much should one pay me to take it out of my hands?
You can't put a price on a man's dream...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think Steve has a crush on Rockport.
Maybe if he sells a lot he can bring down the price.
Lets' see $150k for the tt.
What's Vladimirs' phono preamp going for?
Thank goodness I think the Rockport comes with a stand.
15K for a cart.
A record collection? Priceless.
The real question is will Uncle Mikey dump the Continuim?
WOW I'm getting dizzy.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think Steve has a crush on Rockport.
Maybe if he sells a lot he can bring down the price.
Lets' see $150k for the tt.
What's Vladimirs' phono preamp going for?
Thank goodness I think the Rockport comes with a stand.
15K for a cart.
A record collection? Priceless.
The real question is will Uncle Mikey dump the Continuim?
WOW I'm getting dizzy.

He's going to have to come out with a new DVD to pay for the Rockport ;)

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Folks, I spent 2 days with Andy Payor at Rockport last week. Sadly, he informs me that the likelihood of moving the Sirius V to production is very low. He would basically be building it for himself and a handful of connoisseurs and his return on investment would be nominal. That should not detract from the fact that in addition to being a hell of a nice guy, he is one of the true masters of BBQ. He made a BBQ lamb chop that was beyond the beyondo. The best I've ever had. And the music through his Arrakis system wasn't too shabby either. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Folks, I spent 2 days with Andy Payor at Rockport last week. Sadly, he informs me that the likelihood of moving the Sirius V to production is very low. He would basically be building it for himself and a handful of connoisseurs and his return on investment would be nominal. That should not detract from the fact that in addition to being a hell of a nice guy, he is one of the true masters of BBQ. He made a BBQ lamb chop that was beyond the beyondo. The best I've ever had. And the music through his Arrakis system wasn't too shabby either. :)

Yeah that sucks when ROI enters into the picture :(

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
In such a case, he should ditch the Sirius V project and market under the name of Rockport his BBC installation (Lava Rocks anyone?) or his special sauce!
Gourmet sound meets gourmet food!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing