Skogrand cables

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Anyone got experience of these?

Reactions: Cellcbern

whistleraudio

Jan 6, 2015
You will find a lot of reviews if you Google. As far as I know, It originally started out as a DIY project on the Norwegian audio forum www.hifisentralen.no with a lot of input from members. Since then it has been further improved by Knut Skogrand.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
They have a good reputation but i don’t really like trying anything that I can’t afford. They are INSANELY expensive!

Reactions: Stef and christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I had the chance to try their 15k USB cable and as good as it sounded, 15k for 1m of USB cable that is just not in my books :eek:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
There is one obvious way for consumers to discourage hi end manufacturers from this type of pricing policy. With no sales, there is no product.

Alas, Skogrand has a strong following over here with plenty of well heeled folks able to soak up their prices....Skogrand is just a more recent entry.

Reactions: christoph

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I had the chance to try their 15k USB cable and as good as it sounded, 15k for 1m of USB cable that is just not in my books :eek:
Hello Christoph,
You mean the Skogrand Beethoven usb cable?
It's definitely NOT usd15k in Hong Kong!

Are you in N Am?
I notice that many hifi components after a trans-atlantic journey, will have huge increase in prices. o_O

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
The Skogrand stravinski is 15k retail.

How much better is it conpared to your below FTA Calisto?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hello Christoph,
You mean the Skogrand Beethoven usb cable?
It's definitely NOT usd15k in Hong Kong!

Are you in N Am?
I notice that many hifi components after a trans-atlantic journey, will have huge increase in prices. o_O

I'm in Europe, where Skogrand is located.

"Funny" enough obviously the cable degrades so badly when being shipped to Asia, that it costs WAY less in HK than it costs where it is made :rolleyes::rolleyes:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Where can we see Skogrand cable public price lists?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The Skogrand stravinski is 15k retail.

How much better is it compared to your below FTA Calisto?
When we had the chance to hear the Skogrand cable, we only had an earlier FTA USB cable with less treble extension than the current ones now have, so it is not apples and apples.

But we liked the earlier FTA very much apart from the missing treble extension.
The later FTA Callisto came out after the Skogrand left my house so no direct compare.

From memory it is hard to say and would not do either cable justice.
I only comment on direct compares.

Reactions: Esotar and Golum

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Almost Korean audiophiles never buy new one but used devices.

And they think [[[cable = Siltech]]].

But now Skogrand cables make mega hit in Korea.

SGM Extreme, TotalDAC, and Skogrand cable make Korean audiophiles thinking be changed wiser.

I tested many USB cables.

The best USB cable I tested is Skogrand [Beethoven USB].

Crazy expensive, but no enemy I think.

Reactions: Bobofei86

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Almost Korean audiophiles never buy new one but used devices.

And they think [[[cable = Siltech]]].

But now Skogrand cables make mega hit in Korea.

SGM Extreme, TotalDAC, and Skogrand cable make Korean audiophiles thinking be changed wiser.

I tested many USB cables.

The best USB cable I tested is Skogrand [Beethoven USB].

Crazy expensive, but no enemy I think.

Another AE components. Surprise!

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I spent some time last night comparing USB cables. To hand I had both flavours of StavEssence, Skogrand Beethoven, FTA Callisto, Gekko USG-1, and a homebrew cable.
The first thing to say is that the differences here are pretty small, and if these tests were done blind I suspect you would fail to consistently pick each cable. That said, there were differences that seemed to be pretty consistent.

The homebrew cable had great dynamics but sounded too digital in this company.
The Gekko cable sounded shiny. It's silver in construct so may be knowing this influenced my hearing but none-the-less I wasn't keen.
The FTA Callisto has all the positive attributes talked about in the thread - has great air, musicality, and sounds very analogue. My initial impressions were incredibly positive. However, in comparison, you realise it is doing this by slightly softening the leading edge of notes and so blunts the attack somewhat of the music. If your digital side of things is not absolutely 1st class or emphasises detail, then this is likely a very good thing. However, in my system (LDMS server + reclocker, Lampizator GG2), it slightly robbed the music of something compared to Stavessence / Skogrand.
StavEssence - both great cables, maintaining the air of the FTA Callisto but with more dynamic attack to the music. There is a very small difference (to the extent it could be perception rather than fact) between Eunoia (smooth) and Apricity (dynamic), with my preference being for Eunoia.
Skogrand Beethoven - a small amount better than Stavessence in terms of sounding more natural in conveying the music.

Value-for-money then FTA takes it. All-out performance then Beethoven. My preference would be StavEssence.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Would be keen to hear people's thoughts on speaker cables and ICs?

Reactions: Hieukm

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
I spent some time last night comparing USB cables. To hand I had both flavours of StavEssence, Skogrand Beethoven, FTA Callisto, Gekko USG-1, and a homebrew cable.
The first thing to say is that the differences here are pretty small, and if these tests were done blind I suspect you would fail to consistently pick each cable. That said, there were differences that seemed to be pretty consistent.

The homebrew cable had great dynamics but sounded too digital in this company.
The Gekko cable sounded shiny. It's silver in construct so may be knowing this influenced my hearing but none-the-less I wasn't keen.
The FTA Callisto has all the positive attributes talked about in the thread - has great air, musicality, and sounds very analogue. My initial impressions were incredibly positive. However, in comparison, you realise it is doing this by slightly softening the leading edge of notes and so blunts the attack somewhat of the music. If your digital side of things is not absolutely 1st class or emphasises detail, then this is likely a very good thing. However, in my system (LDMS server + reclocker, Lampizator GG2), it slightly robbed the music of something compared to Stavessence / Skogrand.
StavEssence - both great cables, maintaining the air of the FTA Callisto but with more dynamic attack to the music. There is a very small difference (to the extent it could be perception rather than fact) between Eunoia (smooth) and Apricity (dynamic), with my preference being for Eunoia.
Skogrand Beethoven - a small amount better than Stavessence in terms of sounding more natural in conveying the music.

Value-for-money then FTA takes it. All-out performance then Beethoven. My preference would be StavEssence.
Thank you for a great report. :)

Reactions: nirodha

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Luckily got an excellent condition 2nd hand Skogrand Beethoven USB 2 years ago, it's very 'anlaog sounding' and a perfect match with Extreme and Lampizator, however i think Dalby audio flagship 'Jundo' is much better, both Jundo USB and ethernet cable are insanely good and the best digital cable i have ever heard

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I know it is old thread. Wanted to pitch in for Skogrand Cables. They are my current favorite (I have Skogrand Tchaikovsky SC, Wagner PC.. more to come). Until now I had Hemingway Z core (have beta) and Echole omnia in top (Have tried and still have Nordost Valhalla 2, Audience SX, Ansuz C2, PAD Diamond dominus and quite many others). But Skogrand have beaten them by more than slight margin. Usually other cables do better in specific areas, but Skogrand does amazing in all spectrum, yet being very natural, organic, open and airy throwing a huge soundstage. These cables are killing in my system. My goal is eventually to climb upto Skogrand Beethoven. I still respect Hemingway and could live with their Z core sigmas.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Good to hear and for the thread to be revived. I now run Skogrand Beethoven speaker cables and think they are incredible.

Reactions: RaChiK

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Good to hear and for the thread to be revived. I now run Skogrand Beethoven speaker cables and think they are incredible.
Have you tried their power cables ?. They are in different league. Not many know about these cables, but are truly outstanding.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing