Slightly Warm Speaker cables

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Hi,

Still looking for slightly warm speaker cables for my Gryphon Mephisto Stereo to ProAc Carbon 8.

Like a Cardas Clear but not Cardas - blows up the amp (see other thread)

Budget USD 5K for a 2.5m pair.

Regards,
Joe Ling

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi,

Still looking for slightly warm speaker cables for my Gryphon Mephisto Stereo to ProAc Carbon 8.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Joe,

Easy, except on budget - try the warm, but full of detail, Crystal Dreamline. IMHO it is sounds better than the Cardas Golden Presence in my system - I have no experience with Cardas Clear. As they have now the Crystal Absolute Dreamline you can get the older version for nice prices.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Try to audition the 2014 Harmonic Tech Pro-9 SE speaker cables

PS

I have no association with Harmonic Tech

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Joe you might be able top find a pair of Jorma Prime sc's for around that price if you're patient. Jorma cables are natural and organic sounding which fits your Mephisto & the Primes are a bit warm as well. They are great cables.

Cheers,
Bodhi.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have enjoyed using Transp Ref XL with my Gryphon Colosseum amp. 2nd hand, they run less than your budget.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have enjoyed using Transp Ref XL with my Gryphon Colosseum amp. 2nd hand, they run less than your budget.

I have tried Cardas (Golden Reference), MIT, Shunyata Zitron Anaconda and Transparent Reference and to my ears the Transparents were hands down the most "warm" and musical sounding. There is a decent used market as well. You can buy current generation MM2's used at limited risk.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have tried Cardas (Golden Reference), MIT, Shunyata Zitron Anaconda and Transparent Reference and to my ears the Transparents were hands down the most "warm" and musical sounding. There is a decent used market as well. You can buy current generation MM2's used at limited risk.

Good stuff, Edorr...have you compared Ref XL to the 2 higher levels, RefMM and Opus by any chance? I have the RefMM ICs and have heard Opus but not A/B's directly before. Thanks for any insight!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I also like Transparent a lot - but IMHO usually they mix poorly with other cables. Surely YMMV on these subjects!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Good stuff, Edorr...have you compared Ref XL to the 2 higher levels, RefMM and Opus by any chance? I have the RefMM ICs and have heard Opus but not A/B's directly before. Thanks for any insight!

My budget max'ed out at standard reference level (current MM2 model). Other have commented there is still a lot to be gained from moving up the foodchain.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I also like Transparent a lot - but IMHO usually they mix poorly with other cables. Surely YMMV on these subjects!

I tend to agree...but I had an EXCELLENT experience with Sablon Audio IC in between my CJ and Gryphon amp for the longest time...TA everywhere else. Eventually, I came across a 2nd hand TA RefMM (MM2) that happened to be calibrated for my system and it was a very nice upgrade...but that SA cable is pretty special.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Man, do I have the perfect speaker cables for you. They sound so warm you will take your shirt off in the winter time and they come in well below your budget. I have a 10' pair of MIT Shotgun S1.3 bi-wire cables that retailed for over $4k when new (and I bought them new). You can easily switch between using spade lugs or banana plugs and I have all of the connectors. Yours for only $1,275.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Man, do I have the perfect speaker cables for you. They sound so warm you will take your shirt off in the winter time and they come in well below your budget. I have a 10' pair of MIT Shotgun S1.3 bi-wire cables that retailed for over $4k when new (and I bought them new). You can easily switch between using spade lugs or banana plugs and I have all of the connectors. Yours for only $1,275.

Not so sure about this. I currently own the MIT Oracle Matrix HD 90 ($14K list), and prefer the Transparent Reference they replaced. Only reason I have MIT now is I am planning to try out spectral amp at some point.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not so sure about this. I currently own the MIT Oracle Matrix HD 90 ($14K list), and prefer the Transparent Reference they replaced. Only reason I have MIT now is I am planning to try out spectral amp at some point.

In case anyone didn't realize it, I was just kidding. I have no idea how my speaker cables would sound with the combo the OP listed.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Contact the "Cable Company" aka "fatwyre". They have an extensive supply of wire from many manufacturers that you can audition in your system including all the uber stuff.

GG

merrillaudio

Hi,

Regards,
Joe Ling

You don't need to spend $5k.

Any cable with a high inductance will give you the impression of a warm sound. High inductance, meaning anything higher than 0.1uH/ft. You can also increase your inductance (and capacitance) by running longer cables.

Another cable that is excellent and liked by the "warm" guys
http://www.parts-express.com/wired-home-skrl-14-50-14-awg-ofc-speaker-wire-50-ft--100-020

This is stated to be "very low inductance and capacitance" however no specs are given. Regardless, it was tested along with other fine cables on very expensive systems and although not the top cable (a lot of very expensive cables were at the top), it was so dam close that it replaced all the top cables.

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
You don't need to spend $5k.

Any cable with a high inductance will give you the impression of a warm sound. High inductance, meaning anything higher than 0.1uH/ft. You can also increase your inductance (and capacitance) by running longer cables.

Well yes, if your definition of 'warmth' is a rolled off treble. And subjectively this might well be perceived as a 'warm' sound at the expense of treble extension and resolution. I'm unsure as to whether its the rolled off treble specifically providing 'warmth', or that it could (also) be the perception of a 'denser' midrange.
Alternatively, there are speaker cables that excel and providing a subjectively dense midrange, but not at the expense of extension and resolution. Examples would be -

Jorma Primes as mentioned above by Bodhi (its the Bybees)
Stealth Dream
my own GS mk3 cables

But just as important as your choice of speaker cables is your implementation of jumpers and speaker cable connections if you don't bi-wire. [I generally dislike bi-wiring] I inevitably prefer the speaker jumper and binding post connection, which I perceive as 'warmer', as recommended by AudioQuest -
jumpers.jpg
The jumpers hooked us as normal, +treble to +bass & -treble to -bass. Then be sure to put the speaker cable's red connector to treble + and the cable's black -/ground connector to bass.
There are only 4 ways to hook up speaker cables to bi-wireable binding posts on speaker with jumpers. One will give you the most cohesive presentation, denser midrange, and overall mo 'betta
YMMV

FWIW,
Paul

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Personally, I think it is absurd to try and correct equipment weakness with cables. Cables should be neutral, not some type of tuning device. Of course, very few cables are capable of being neutral, which is why people try to correct gear problems with cables.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think some people get the wrong idea of what is meant by Joe when asking for "warm" sounding. Considering he targets at the sound of Cardas Clear I think he is looking for a cable with detail, but avoiding the clinical and incisive attack of cables such as the old and great sounding Nordost Valhalla. But surely not a mellow or syrupy cable that just softens treble.

merrillaudio

Well yes, if your definition of 'warmth' is a rolled off treble. And subjectively this might well be perceived as a 'warm' sound at the expense of treble extension and resolution. I'm unsure as to whether its the rolled off treble specifically providing 'warmth', or that it could (also) be the perception of a 'denser' midrange.
Alternatively, there are speaker cables that excel and providing a subjectively dense midrange, but not at the expense of extension and resolution. Examples would be -

FWIW,
Paul

Paul,

Disclaimer: I like your power cords very much, so much so, it is an upgrade offer on the VERITAS Monoblocks and I became a reseller. We also used them at Axpona 2014 to great success.

Rolled off treble, pumped up mids, slowed transient response, which ever it is called is really changing the frequency response. Another "warmer" sound is to even order harmonic distortion.

Now your power cord that I like does not change the tonal balance but it certainly improves the clarity, and markedly so.

I won't pretend or intend to define "warm".

I certainly have found that when something is described to me as "warm" or "more liquid" it typically translates to slower transient speed or even order harmonic distortion. I have lots of stories here. This is by no means absolute as I have not heard or compared every audio component in the world. Add to that a subjective preference to have the "warmer" or more liquid sound.

Unless we are in the recording engineers head and have heard the concert live (with no edits), it is really difficult to say what is true to live music. And that is our audiophile quest! Well that and to really just enjoy our systems with a good cigar (or cigarette in your case paul) and a glass of scotch. (with your power cords of course!)

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Merrill,

If you make the statement that higher inductance speaker cables sound warm, my assumption is that that specific 'warmth' is due to the fact that the inductance is forming a distributed lowpass filter, nothing more, nothing less. If the 'Newtonian' in me made an incorrect assumption, my apologies....

FWIW,
Paul

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing