Slightly Warm Speaker cables

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Merrill,

If you make the statement that higher inductance speaker cables sound warm, my assumption is that that specific 'warmth' is due to the fact that the inductance is forming a distributed lowpass filter, nothing more, nothing less. If the 'Newtonian' in me made an incorrect assumption, my apologies....

FWIW,
Paul

I think "warm" as in cables is about as hard to define as "musical". I would also try some cables from a cable "library". Good luck! :)

merrillaudio

Merrill,

If you make the statement that higher inductance speaker cables sound warm, my assumption is that that specific 'warmth' is due to the fact that the inductance is forming a distributed lowpass filter, nothing more, nothing less. If the 'Newtonian' in me made an incorrect assumption, my apologies....

FWIW,
Paul

Absolutely no need to, your assumption is correct on low pass, with low being outside the hearing range/measuring range but still affecting the transient response. So you are correct on LP assumptions.

I think "warm" as in cables is about as hard to define as "musical". I would also try some cables from a cable "library". Good luck! :)

Great plan. Every one (and I am not kidding), loan spare cables to Joe. Best way to try them out, after they have broken in.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
I would agree that tuning the sound with cables is a difficult task. Room interaction and treatment if not done already, may go a lot further than 5K on cables. For me, if the sound does not suit my tastes, I sell the speakers and buy another set more suitable. Speakers alone have the biggest impact on sound perception of all components.

MAK

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I would agree that tuning the sound with cables is a difficult task. Room interaction and treatment if not done already, may go a lot further than 5K on cables. For me, if the sound does not suit my tastes, I sell the speakers and buy another set more suitable. Speakers alone have the biggest impact on sound perception of all components.

MAK
+ 1. My philosophy is build your system around your speakers & keep your system balanced (ie: no weak links).

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hi,

Still looking for slightly warm speaker cables for my Gryphon Mephisto Stereo to ProAc Carbon 8.

Like a Cardas Clear but not Cardas - blows up the amp (see other thread)

Budget USD 5K for a 2.5m pair.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Hi Joe i have a buddy a ( wealthy ) buddy he as 38k worth of cables in his system he as tried many many makes - Nirvana - Siltech - Cardas - Stealth - and many more he as chosen ALL ( Purist Audio Design ) top of the line cable and he is FINALY happy here is a few photos of his system.

Système Elrocco 01.jpg Système Elrocco 02.jpg Système Elrocco 03.jpg Système Elrocco 04.jpg Système Elrocco 07.jpg

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Thanks guys for all the valuable information & advice.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
+ 1. My philosophy is build your system around your speakers & keep your system balanced (ie: no weak links).

I agree 100% this is why i have been with Acoustat since 1984, yes i know that the company folded in 1991 ( USA ) for me after that it was NEVER Acoustat, Acoustat Italy - Acoustat China - there was only one real Acoustat company and they where in the USA. you find a speaker that you like and work the system around them and you will be a happy man.

PS: This is what a happy man look's like - - - MrAcoustat & Speaker.JPG

Last edited:

Kryzyz

Oct 27, 2012
Pasadena CA
Paul, I found your post to be highly informative. I tried the Audioquest biwire configuration on my YG Anat III Signatures and perceived it to be "warmer" and preferable to biwiring as well.
Can you comment on the difference between Jorma Prime and Origo cables both of which are of interest to me?

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Kryyx,

The Primes are 'warmer' than the Origos. But that 'warmth' from the Primes isn't at the expense of an over emphasized mid-range, but rather subjectively, a denser midrange while keeping extension. I've heard them both as ICs, in different systems, sometimes together, and they worked quite well. Using stereotypes, I'd call call the Primes 'tubey' to the Origo's 'solid state' signature, both in a good way. If you're in the States, talk to is Dan Meinwald of Ear-USA. the US distributor for Jorma. At shows, Dan will inevitably have a really excellent sounding room with Marten speakers, EAR electronics, and Jorma cables. FWIW

-Paul

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing