Small Attic System

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Hello everyone! This is my first post but I've been lurking and learning here for some time. In this small attic room which I just finished (I lost my larger room to a baby, no better reason!) I've managed to piece together my finest sounding system.

The heart of the system is a very special custom Blue Circle integrated amp, 100 watts of SS power based on their NSP amplifier. Phono pre is also Blue Circle. 90% of my listening is vinyl, and for that purpose I have a Merrill Williams 101.2 with Triplanar and Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. The restored TD-124 with Schick arm is awaiting the arrival of a Tron Convergence phono pre. The last month has seen a showdown between speakers: Trenner and Friedl Ella's vs Harbeth 30.1's. In the end, the Ella's are clearly the winner. In all fairness the Ella's retailed for over double the 30.1's, and in that light they did quite well. In fact, I could clearly imagine some people preferring the 30.1's.

Now the big question: what do I do for room treatment? These A frame attic rooms are tough, though all things considered the sound is rather great (in my humble opinion of course). Maybe something simple? A couple of Stillpoint Apertures maybe? What do you think?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 666
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 656
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 653
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 647

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Put a lot of soft puffy stuff on your angled walls to reduce the reflections, especially the wall behind your chair.

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Great looking system. How big is your room/attic?

Thanks! It's the larger of two rooms at about 11'x13'. Believe it or not the sound in this room is actually better than the larger room I had before it. Maybe the sloped ceilings help, I'm not really sure. Walls are plaster and lathe. Floors are 3/4" oak over a really dead sounding 1950's vinyl (asbestos) tile over pine subfloor.

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Put a lot of soft puffy stuff on your angled walls to reduce the reflections, especially the wall behind your chair.

Would something like Vicousic Multifuser be good or would I want straight absorption in such a small space?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
In a small room I would go for absorption.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
In a small room I would go for absorption.

+1

Bass trapping is the name of the game, IMO.
Sloped ceilings help greatly as well.
In my room, which is actually a little smaller than yours...10x11, the sloped ceilings and bass trapping have made it highly listenable. How high is your ceiling, mine goes from 8' to about 13'+

Benanton

May 1, 2015
+1

Bass trapping is the name of the game, IMO.
Sloped ceilings help greatly as well.
In my room, which is actually a little smaller than yours...10x11, the sloped ceilings and bass trapping have made it highly listenable. How high is your ceiling, mine goes from 8' to about 13'+

I'll add some bass traps soon, though I only have two corners to work with and hardly any height. My sloped ceiling starts at just 3' and goes to 7.5'. Not much to work with! If I have a complaint about the sound it's that it sounds small. The sound seems to be limited by the low walls. I suppose this is why getting treatments on the slopes is important. I'll start experimenting soon, though I try to make careful decisions as these plaster walls tend to crack very easily.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If it sounds small, go with diffusion.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Not much to work with! If I have a complaint about the sound it's that it sounds small. The sound seems to be limited by the low walls. I suppose this is why getting treatments on the slopes is important. I'll start experimenting soon, though I try to make careful decisions as these plaster walls tend to crack very easily.

As mentioned elsewhere, the sound in a small room does NOT have large "scale". I believe this is only possible in a large room and with large speakers. If this is what you mean by sounding "small" then I think there really isn't a fix. Sitting closer to the speakers and therefore more in the "near field" does help a little with this, BUT you will not get that large "scale" in this size room and with smaller speakers, IME. BTW, that is NOT to say that you cannot get GREAT sound and also bass reproduction. The way you set up bass trapping will help immensely with the bottom end.

Benanton

May 1, 2015
As mentioned elsewhere, the sound in a small room does NOT have large "scale". I believe this is only possible in a large room and with large speakers. If this is what you mean by sounding "small" then I think there really isn't a fix. Sitting closer to the speakers and therefore more in the "near field" does help a little with this, BUT you will not get that large "scale" in this size room and with smaller speakers, IME. BTW, that is NOT to say that you cannot get GREAT sound and also bass reproduction. The way you set up bass trapping will help immensely with the bottom end.
I understand. My own experience with different size rooms tells me much the same. But room treatments are something I've only recently begun to explore, mostly because my wife would never have them in the living room.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
If it sounds small, go with diffusion.

Yeah with Jack on this, use careful application of diffusion as it helps IMO along with careful absorption; this can be combined with products that offer diffusion/absorption.
Also might want to think about removing the glass vase (with the branches in it) from behind one of the speakers.

Cheers
Orb

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Is that generally a good rule? Where would be best, on the slope behind my listening chair or between the speakers?

Hi Ben

Yes it's a general rule. Diffusion's primary role is even energy coverage. The effect is that it stretches out the ambient field as well as smoothing out peaks which is what it is more known for. :)

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Yeah with Jack on this, use careful application of diffusion as it helps IMO along with careful absorption; this can be combined with products that offer diffusion/absorption.
Also might want to think about removing the glass vase (with the branches in it) from behind one of the speakers.

Cheers
Orb

I'll remove it and give a listen!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing