SME 3009 S2 and MC cartridges

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Hello Chaps,

After fifty seven years trying to find an audio nirvana I am now using a SME 3009 S2 not- improved which, according to the UK SME Gods, is incompatible with MC cartridges. My two previous tonearms were a Goldmund T3F and a Breuer Dynamic Type 8.

My dear British friends keep chastising me for even thinking of trying to install a MC cartridge in my 3009. They say that there's too much mechanical energy floating around from the cartridge, especially in those SME 'cheese grater' headshells that are known to flex. Those SME knife edge bearings simply aren't designed to be rigid. They'll 'work' but not optimally, with resonances compromising arm behaviour / tracking performance, and may increase stylus wear and record damage. So, I ended with an AT 440MLB.

Then, out of the blue, browsing through the Media forum, I came across Steve Williams turntable/cartridge set-up, I simply could not believe my eyes, I was left dumbfounded, my head shaking in desbelief. A pair of old SME 3009 S2, like mine, mounted on an Air Force One, one arm with a ZYX Universe Premium cartridge and the other one with a Van den Hul Colibri Signature Stradivarius.

Does anyone care to comment?

Cheers,

Horacio

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hello Chaps,

After fifty seven years trying to find an audio nirvana I am now using a SME 3009 S2 not- improved which, according to the UK SME Gods, is incompatible with MC cartridges. My two previous tonearms were a Goldmund T3F and a Breuer Dynamic Type 8.

My dear British friends keep chastising me for even thinking of trying to install a MC cartridge in my 3009. They say that there's too much mechanical energy floating around from the cartridge, especially in those SME 'cheese grater' headshells that are known to flex. Those SME knife edge bearings simply aren't designed to be rigid. They'll 'work' but not optimally, with resonances compromising arm behaviour / tracking performance, and may increase stylus wear and record damage. So, I ended with an AT 440MLB.

Then, out of the blue, browsing through the Media forum, I came across Steve Williams turntable/cartridge set-up, I simply could not believe my eyes, I was left dumbfounded, my head shaking in desbelief. A pair of old SME 3009 S2, like mine, mounted on an Air Force One, one arm with a ZYX Universe Premium cartridge and the other one with a Van den Hul Colibri Signature Stradivarius.

Cheers,

Horacio
Horacio,
SME Series II Improved or -R type. which Steve and many others use here is different from your S2. The issue isn't the bearing but the arm wand material, your S2 is aluminum and Series II Improved -R type is steel.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,

Noted, but the headshells and knife edge bearings are the same in both.

Regards,

Horacio

It's the same type of bearing design but not interchangeable, the head shells are all the same.

david

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hello Chaps,

Cheers,

Horacio
hi Horacio

as David said mine is different. It’s a 3010R and my other is a 3012R. My sound is wonderful. There is a huge SME tonearm following here thanks to ddk

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It was probably uncompatibility that made it sound dull. Accuracy is not a matter of taste.

This may be true, but how is accuracy to be assessed? Accuracy to what reference: live music, a mic feed, or the first generation recording? Some listeners do not care about accuracy per se but prefer listening to a flavor they enjoy. I think both accuracy to live and personal taste is why we have so many different components and systems, almost no one having the same approach with the gear they choose.

sktn77a

Dec 26, 2021
The 3012mk2 and Denon 103 is a classic combo. No reason the 3009 won't work with many MCs.

Resurrecting an old thread here with some more personal experience. I had a Denon DL103D (can't speak to the lower compliance DL103 or DL103R) and it worked like a charm in an SME3009/S2 (not improved) on a TD125 turntable. "Conventional wisdom" says this combination should have been a disaster.

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
It´s all about effective mass and the MC cartridges compliance that needs to match.
Sorry, but what is written about arm tube material on the 3009 is nonsense. Otherwise enthusiasts around the world would not be happy with 99% of all tonearms. Aluminum is a very common material for the arm wand.

The early SME 3009 (Series 1 and Series 2) have a significantly higher effective mass than the later improved models, which are more intended for pickups with high compliance and are therefore predestined for MM pickups.

The big differences are:

- Series 1 - Steel arm tube, steel knife edge, effective mass might be higher as with Series 2, but I do not know
- Series 2 - Aluminum arm tube, steel knife edge, effective mass = 12.5 gr
- SME 3009 R - stainless steel arm tube, nylon knife edge, effective mass = 12.7 gr

- SME 3009 Improved - Aluminum arm tube, fixed headshell, nylon knife edge, effective mass = 6.5 gr

- SME 3009 S2 Improved - Aluminum arm tube, interchangeable headshell, nylon knife edge, effective mass = 9.5 g

All cartridges with weight and compliance that are in the green range will fit to a SME 3009 Series 2 or SME 3009-R

Additionally you can use a heavier headshell to raise effective mass a bit either but this may also require a heavier counterweight as well as a heavier/ the optional subweight for tracking force

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing