SME Model 6 Review

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I don’t mean to be uncharitable, but I hope it sounds better than it looks. That thing is fugly.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Looking at the pictures I wonder if this is just another clueless reviewer quoting bullshit specs handed to him without understanding it like some other ones we have around! Tracking angle on the M2 like all other SME tonearms is set by sliding the base which apparently is done away with in the M6 photo while the headshell is the standard fixed one used in SME tonearms with the sled base. I understand that's a marketing picture and a bad one that they didn't even bother to screw the tonearm down. Shouldn't this reviewer have noticed something like that instead of dressing up in a cheerleader miniskirt and started waving his pom poms?

david

gwWXLK4m3tNSafNJnMkeYd-970-80.jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Reminds me of my father's Dual

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I wonder if this is just another clueless reviewer quoting bullshit specs handed to him without understanding it
If you ever read What Hi-Fi, then you would know it’s not a magazine to be taken seriously.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
looks like a $49 crosley

Reactions: jeff1225

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you ever read What Hi-Fi, then you would know it’s not a magazine to be taken seriously.

As far as I remember they published extensive price lists of most equipment available in the UK - their famous HiFi guide with many thousands of components.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
microstrip it still does not make them a credible magazine, it would be like calling Best Buy a high end hi-fi store.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I agrree that What Hifi is not the most credible of the hifi mags, and that the SME 6 is not particularly attactive.
That said I am inclined to suspend judgement on it pending more authorative reviews

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I like the look of the SME 6. It is understated and has the promise of yielding great sound.

Oddly, there are no tech specs or owner's manuals available from the SME website, although this information is listed for all their other turntables. They claim it is built to the same standards as their other models -- if so, that would make it an obvious choice in its price category. One indication would be how much it weighs. I used to own a 30/2, SME tables are dense. But dimensions and weight are not listed.

I will check it out when, if ever, the pandemic permits.

Reactions: howiebrou and Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I like the look of the SME 6. It is understated and has the promise of yielding great sound.

Oddly, there are no tech specs or owner's manuals available from the SME website, although this information is listed for all their other turntables. They claim it is built to the same standards as their other models -- if so, that would make it an obvious choice in its price category. One indication would be how much it weighs. I used to own a 30/2, SME tables are dense. But dimensions and weight are not listed.

I will check it out when, if ever, the pandemic permits.

I am a bit torn on this. On one hand I can understand Jeff's Toys R Us comment, on the other hand I also like the look. Would be an interesting option if I wanted to explore vinyl, which I don't. I'd rather enjoy it in my friends' systems, but currently the pandemic throws a wrench into that.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
For those critical / bashing posters above, have you heard the product yet? I think I know the answer.

• Haha
Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Might be a nice starter table for my son. Depends on the price I guess. I am going to say $5k-$7.5k?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing