SME Tonearm Confusion

kdbrink

Aug 30, 2013
Hello!

I currently have a SME 309 arm on an Avid Sequel table with a Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation cartridge. I'm looking at moving up the SME line, but I'm confused with the hierarchy. I realize that the Series V is the top of the line, but I see a Series IV on the SME site, but also find references to a Series IV.VI.

Could anyone explain the differences...especially between the IV and the IV.VI?

Thanks so much!
Ken

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I would look to the SME website for main differences between the IV and the V. The V is a higher spec'd model in general with better bearings and fluid dampening among other things

The IV.Vi is a model made for the US distributor. It has the V arm tube, bearings and fluid dampening. It eliminates the dynamic downforce adjustment (you use the counterbalance and is wired with Magnan type Vi

I had the IV.Vi on a SME 20/2 and had the V on the 20/3. I prefer the IV.Vi. both are.very good

kdbrink

Aug 30, 2013
Thanks for your input. I have read great things about the IV.Vi, but couldn't quite figure out how it fit in the hierarchy.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The magnan wire in the IV.Vi is a very high impedance, nearly brass wire. How this helps things over the silver wire of the V, I don't know. I had the IV.Vi a while ago and liked it better than the 309 i had previously. Never had a V to compare.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello!

I currently have a SME 309 arm on an Avid Sequel table with a Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation cartridge. I'm looking at moving up the SME line, but I'm confused with the hierarchy. I realize that the Series V is the top of the line, but I see a Series IV on the SME site, but also find references to a Series IV.VI.

Could anyone explain the differences...especially between the IV and the IV.VI?

Thanks so much!
Ken

You have a great cartridge - I also own it and in sounds great on the SME V. I have once read that the Palo Santos was developed in a SME V.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't know why the SME 312S arm doesn't receive more love than it does. It's probably the best bargain in the SME lineup. It's a 12" arm that has fluid dampening also, but the important thing is it sounds great. It's the first arm I've owned that made me forget about my ET-2 arm. I find it to be a super-low distortion arm that traces the grooves from beginning to end of each record in a way that reminds me of a linear tracking arm in its purity.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing