So Who Will Be The First Trillion Dollar Company

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Apple or Amazon

I'm betting on Apple......

From a trading perspective think Apple benefits from recent volatility in Facebook and maybe Netflix. Apple earnings coming out 7/31 and hopefully it becomes the 1st $1Trillion market cap co in U.S. history at or before the release date. Apple currently @ ~ $957Bil; Amazon @ ~ $910 Bil. (Amazon earnings come out after close today - so you never know what can happen..)

When Apple hits $200/share it will be a trillion dollar company. Amazing as I remember several years ago when Apple was over $800/share and it split 7 for 1 and started at $111/share. It is now closing in on $200/share but Amazon reports earnings today so who will win?

Jeff Besos is a visionary. Tim Cook is a numbers cruncher who doesn't have the vision of Steve Jobs. I've owned Apple for so long that IIRC I bought at $35/share

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Amazon, through acquisitions.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
We've been in a gogo-mega cap tech cycle for a while and it appears to be bursting. Market caps are just too big as we saw with FB and NFLX. Its not remotely normal to put on 20,30, or even $50B on a single earnings report. Therefore, doesn't surprise me to see $120B off FB today (full disclosure, I own it since $31 and sold 1/3 my position at 195)

I wouldn't be surprised for AMZN to disappoint as well. And at 150x forward earnings, watch out. It's not a true "trillion $ company"

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Amazon is extremely diversified with retail, wholesale and cloud computing verticals. Amazon's cloud company (AWS) has 3X the share of it's nearest competitor Microsoft, the cloud dominance is extremely attractive to Wall Street. Also, Besos seems to be less interested in flights of fancy like Facebook's purchase of Oculus. Will Amazon be the first trillion dollar company? I'm not sure, but they have one of the best chances.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Amazon is extremely diversified with retail, wholesale and cloud computing verticals. Amazon's cloud company (AWS) has 3X the share of it's nearest competitor Microsoft, the cloud dominance is extremely attractive to Wall Street. Also, Besos seems to be less interested in flights of fancy like Facebook's purchase of Oculus. Will Amazon be the first trillion dollar company? I'm not sure, but they have one of the best chances.

Ironic AWS crashed on Prime day ha. Ya, indeed the cloud has been behind the meteoric rise but I feel is quickly becoming a commodity. Everybody involved, lower margins thereafter. Just like most of Amazon's businesses. I mean, they have 2% margins with a $900B market cap as is.

I'm also ticked I didn't buy it a year ago, but can't win them all. Valuation has never been a factor for AMZN equity performance in 10 years.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Perhaps a better question than who will become the first trillion dollar company, would be: Are we at all concerned that a trillion dollar company exists?:eek:

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
well, as long as AWS growth is good (see results after hours), stock won't fall. basically can hold on to the stock until that happens as investors don't care about anything else in the story.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I shorted FB yesterday before close. Just because of the ending diagonal triangle pattern. These FANGS seem to make these patterns. I need to study Aapl over the weekend as a possible EDT is forming...200 is the apex. YMMV btw the FB collapse signals something else might be going on..just a guess.
Caution these patterns can be leading and blow out the top and keep going.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Fortunately (for me, anyway) Amazon did not have an earnings disaster. FB caused a lot of drama today, but the price fell merely to where it was just a couple of months ago.

I don’t think the Facebook drop signals anything other than a crowded tech trade.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Ironic AWS crashed on Prime day ha. Ya, indeed the cloud has been behind the meteoric rise but I feel is quickly becoming a commodity. Everybody involved, lower margins thereafter. Just like most of Amazon's businesses. I mean, they have 2% margins with a $900B market cap as is.

I'm also ticked I didn't buy it a year ago, but can't win them all. Valuation has never been a factor for AMZN equity performance in 10 years.

Great point regarding AWS crashing on Prime day......comical.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I lose again!

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Steve, I'm the true visionary here as I've predicting Apple's downfall for the last 10 years. Looks like I was right. :p

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ok, so why the negativity all of a sudden about Apple? The market has known for ages that their product base has essentially stalled out. This pretty much seems to have occurred after the death of Steve Jobs, imo.
OTOH, they still make great stuff that is well supported and seems to be of good quality. Innovating like before, no...supplying quality items with great customer support..yes. So what’s changed in the last few weeks...months?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Without actual innovation, what you're left with is little more than your brand name. There are other high performing, well-supported competing products. That the iPhone is somehow better or easier to use is at this point merely a matter of perception. Branding is important, but try explaining to Blackberry or Nokia that innovating doesn't matter. Is anyone still using MySpace? On their Palm Pilot running Netscape to check AOL while cruising in their Hummer to Tower Records? But, maybe Apple will live to innovate another day. I'd like to see it happen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing