Social Media | The News Agencies | The Business Of Selling The News | Consumption

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I've read a short article from the Observer this morning, and written by Ryan Holiday couple days ago.

http://observer.com/2016/11/want-to-really-make-america-great-again-stop-reading-the-news/

He certainly has valid points, no doubt.
It's up to us to find the news that are intelligent news that we can truly use for our race's advancement, for the brain towards bettering and helping ourselves.

I'm not afraid of our news media world, I am very afraid. :b
Seriously, the right news are the ones that inform us and without a single ounce of bias from the news reporters, and chef editors and news media owners.
...The facts, just the facts ma'am.

Human nature when facing extinction of its most profound values, tends to escape in fictive worlds...drugs, alcohol, denials, hatred, movie theaters, strip joints, ...brainwashing.
When we realize that the air we are breathing is becoming more and more contaminated by our own creating, when we realize that the waters are rising and the lands are disappearing, volcanoes are erupting, underground plates moving, fracking, new oil reserves, pricing wars, global economic discords, inequalities, social imbalances, arms dealing, control of power, corruption, big egos, greed, etc.; we are truly lost.

I too can't stand most of the news outlets out there from our tubes, from our social medias, from the cyber space of the world today.
I have to discard most of it to have only the relevant/important news.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Does not exist in my experience - at least not in the US. Whatever side presents the "news" slants it to their view.

I totally agree Chuck

Best example in the past 6 months was CNN covering the election

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The Observer is owned by Donald Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, so don't look for neutrality there.

More frightening was this article about partisan fake news on Facebook in PCWorld.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3142...isan-is-facebooks-fake-news-we-tested-it.html

What makes Hackman any less of a hack than the rest of them? In this article he takes a few extreme examples of bull while ignoring thousands of News feeds that aren't as if we're all stupid and we believe everything we read. Of course there's no data anywhere on how people read and react to this "fake news" and if it does, what's the age group who get's influenced by it most, if at all. There are comments like this in his article that raises red flags; "over a little more than two days, we counted 10 such posts in his feed that were fake, most accusing Democrats or their supporters of illegal activity. In all, White was clearly exposed to more spin than his Democratic counterpart, Chris Smith, who saw exactly zero fake news stories" and who's checking his claims ;)?

We should all rejoice the corporations are going to use their armies of 20 odd year olds to sift through it all and spoon feed us what they deem right for us to consume, what can be better than news according to the gospel of Google or the book of FB, after all it's not fake :D? There's no cure for stupid!

david

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
If the corrupt big money interests succeed in their sensor campaign, many will just create a bypass using technology. The web as far as the dissemination of information is a two edged sword,many have had their eyes opened,and partnered with like minded people. Trying to use false psyops,will only highlight the fakery and lies. Good, will always triumph over evil....thank god...literally.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Actually, there are possible cures for stupidity, some requiring DNA manipulation. However, that would opens up another world of controversy.

Perhaps we should work on cynicism first. That might be an easier task. :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Actually, there are possible cures for stupidity, some requiring DNA manipulation. However, that would opens up another world of controversy.

Perhaps we should work on cynicism first. That might be an easier task. :)

In this day and age a fair amount of cynicism is very healthy and that includes high-end audio too, call me CYNICUS!:)

david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Does not exist in my experience - at least not in the US. Whatever side presents the "news" slants it to their view.

Then it's up to us to decipher the truth among this large pile of garbage they feed us on social media, social TV networks, books, youtube, Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
If you don't like today's news, you can watch news from 50 years ago.

It's the same news, maybe with less slant, unless it involves Communists.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yesterday I've read this article: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/20/opinions/fake-news-stories-thrive-donath/ ...by Judith Donath (cnn.com)

This morning this one: http://fortune.com/2016/11/21/facebook-zuckerberg-fake-news-stop/ ... by Geoff Colvin (fortune.com)

There are zillion articles on this subject, and it started way before Facebook; but recently...the last few years, months...it's getting worse and more worse.
And so is hacking and identity theft and credit cards fraud. But are those fake news as well?
_______

By the way, the final count (popular vote) is not even done yet! But it just don't really matter; nothing is going to change the outcome.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yesterday I've read this article: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/20/opinions/fake-news-stories-thrive-donath/ ...by Judith Donath (cnn.com)

Bob, you can't take anything for granted specially when the wolves don sheep's clothing and start calling Wolf! At least one of the 3 so called false news claimed by Donath, i.e. "Obama told illegal immigrants to vote." is actually true! Here's when and how in his own words;

Look at the timing of all this fake news hype, they couldn't control the narrative of lies so now they want to police it for our good. We should now all believe the same lying biased lying media about the truth; yeah, right!

david

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Look at the timing of all this fake news hype, they couldn't control the narrative of lies so now they want to police it for our good. We should now all believe the same lying biased lying media about the truth; yeah, right!

Exactly. They just lost all credibility.

A new term for this age: 'News Illiteracy'.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, you can't take anything for granted specially when the wolves don sheep's clothing and start calling Wolf! At least one of the 3 so called false news claimed by Donath, i.e. "Obama told illegal immigrants to vote." is actually true! Here's when and how in his own words;

david

I agree David; Judith Donath, from CNN news, doesn't have all her info correct. By trying to help us about what's fake news and not, she just put her own foot in her mouth. It's to a point that we can't even trust the ones who are telling us to not trust all the fake news even the ones that are true! She just lost total credibility. I am so tired of all that bull from CNN, FOX news, New York Times, Washington Post, Globe & Mail, CBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, ...99% of all the major news media and social networks. ...In all North America, +++

Books; that is another chapter to this entire saga. Some writers I believe, others I don't.

Why can writers and reporters report only the true facts like the majority of audio dealers and marketers?

The drug industry (pharmaceutical), the oil industry, the global warming industry, the Peace Nobel industry, the stock market business, the defense department, the army, the men and women who are serving our country, the women harassed in the marine corps, the injustice of our justice/balance system with our police and prosecutors and lawyers and judges, the inequalities between the rich and the poor, the racism, the discrimination, the harassment (physical and emotional), the violent criminals, contract killers, drug lords, assassins, bank robbers, music robbers, movie robbers, KKK, arm dealers, car thieves, ...the lies after lies that benefit the corrupt people without a human conscience, ...all of that makes me real sick in my stomach and I want to expose them all and build more jails payed by the profits of crime organisations, corrupt and fake religious and charity organisations. I want to dry all the swamps.

I bet that many of the big shots who run the news agencies are paid by criminal and illegal organisations.

It is sad because we send our kids to the best universities of our country, and many of them end up falling into the corruption's trap, the money bait.
How can we build a better world when all we do is just the opposite of good?

The news play a major role in constructing or deconstructing our cultures, our values, our present and future societies.
When do we say enough is enough? Are we that afraid? It seems to me that yes; we are afraid for our families, so much so that we do nothing and by doing nothing we spread the diseases.

Look, people are fighting in our streets, right in front of our very eyes, for news that aren't even true! And if some news are true, it's our corrupt justice system that hides them!
We live inside a loop of vice; like we didn't prepare for an exit door.

Google Fake News and check all the entries we get; it's une épidémie.
No wonder we need an escape @ the movies with our comic books super heroes. That's probably why cinema is one of my great passions, like it is for many of us. ...It's an escape door from day-to-day atrocious reality.
Nature is my first great passion; the outdoors, the wildlife, the forests, mountains, rivers, lakes, oceans...like sweet music transporting me to the four winds of the globe. Music playing and drawing/painting/writing are among my top hobbies. ...Moving, climbing, dancing...

I don't want to be passive and say nothing; I want to be active and clean the mess. It is my responsibility as a citizen of the planet Earth. If I don't exercise the right of responsibility I am not living life in true fulfillment for me and for all the people around me.

The news media have a great power and responsibility; constructing a world of fairness by reporting the real true facts. We are all reporters when posting on Twitter and Facebook.

I am big usually on providing links, links that are related and make us think. If we don't discuss the subjects that concern all of us, who will?
Who's going to take care of us, why do we care about others who don't even care? I care, I care about the news, about our planet, about human's behaviors, about the future of what we create. ...Physically, spiritually and humanly.
______

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I agree David; Judith Donath, from CNN news, doesn't have all her info correct. By trying to help us about what's fake news and not, she just put her own foot in her mouth. It's to a point that we can't even trust the ones who are telling us to not trust all the fake news even the ones that are true! She just lost total credibility.

If you think that's why they (as in the MSM) lost all their credibility, you're wrong.

For that, you should see all the shilling and blatant one-sided coverage and censorship they effected recently.

That buzz about 'fake news' is a desperate attempt to control the narrative again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing