Solid state amp to drive field coil woofers? Thoughts?

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I've been running 10Ga wire. I can't be sure but it seems to make the system slightly faster, although it could be expectation bias.

I will definitely try a bigger gauge - I have been running 18awg.

I replaced the PS cables to the Supravox widebanders (running 170hz to 5khz with 1st order filters) today. They were actually 22awg, and I made up some 8awg cables from Cat5. You were right, there was a noticeable in attack, speed and presence. I did one channel at a time, and there was an obvious difference.

The PS cables on my bass drivers are about 12awg, so I will try making them bigger next.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing